Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

LDD MOC: 0-4-0 Tank & Tender Locomotives

These 0-4-0 locos are buildable in tender & tank engine format. They were partly based off of Thomas the Tank Engine at first, but soon developed into their own entity. I then built the tender engines as to give some more variety. The engines are only avalible in the colors shown, (Tan, White, & Light Bley) with one exception: the tender engine comes also in Black.

8182964243_de1068ac91.jpg

The black tender engine didn't make the final pictures as I didn't think it looked as good as these.

8182964177_ea30ae1460.jpg

I honestly don't like my tender design. I couldn't think of a better one, and am a little short on good ideas. If any of you can do better (or want to attempt it!), please take a shot at it. I'm open to ideas, and will consider any tender thrown at me.

8182964135_1ce1fe49b0.jpg

From here the tender looks even worse.

Here is the LXF. Enjoy!

http://www.mocpages....1352837674m.lxf

for the locos with a tender i would remove the side water tanks of the train. a loco with a tender normaly has the water in that not on the main loco. Thanks looks good might download them and have a look when i get home.

As Lazarus mentioned, tender locomotives rarely carried water tanks separate from the tender. Such deviations were designated by the suffix "T+T/T&T" for "tank plus/and tender." In those cases, as in that of the LNER Y9 class, the tenders were very small and carried only fuel:

y9.jpg

My suggestions would be to shorten your design by removing it's water capacity - perhaps to a length of nine studs or so. There also isn't any 'curve' to the bottom of the boiler, with no visible daylight between it and the frames - which, as in the above case, prototypical instances exist, but were rare.

Of course, it's your creation, so it's fine as is, and you can do whatever you feel like in the end. :classic:

Edited by sixoh

Some industrial and narrow gauge locos had both tanks and a tender. The usual reason was to increase fuel capacity, but it's not unknown for water to be carried on the tender as well.

FR_Prince_Tan-y-Bwlch.jpg

FR_Prince.jpg

murdoch i hope you dont mind but i spent an hour of this and made some changes. dont know if you like them but it looks ok to me. :-)

Attached to file if you want to have a look.

steam04.png

steam03.png

steam02i.png

steam01x.png

steam.lxf

Edited by Lazarus

The locomotive looks excelent, the tender looks beter too, but i think it would be better to make it an open tender at the locomotive cabine,. Hard to shovel coal like that. :thumbup::wub:

murdoch i hope you dont mind but i spent an hour of this and made some changes. dont know if you like them but it looks ok to me. :-)

Attached to file if you want to have a look.

(SNIP)

Looks wonderful Lazarus! I'll take this as upgraded model and use and tweak it a bit. (more colors, such as tan and white versions!) Other than that, it looks wonderful. :thumbup:

I think that tender looks better than the first and the engines are certainly more life like. How about the tank engines, have they been changed in any way?

I did not touch the tanks as they where about right i could give them a tweek.

You like your smooth lines Murdock i give you that, i might take your tweek of my tweek and tweek again haha.

Coal in the tender looks good. I liked the hand rails being there to get into the cab as the is not ladder i could not find a way to put on in.

I can see you made the gap between the foot plate bigger was not sure if that would of worked in real life with the one i did but it looked nice.

i am keen to try and put some train wheels on it and get rid of those stock lego wheels.