CityBuilder

3677: Red Cargo Train

Hello, I have a question about 3677 Red Cargo Train. I remember people talking about the train having a problem, which was one of the reasons it didn't last very long. I don't know what this issue was and would like to know. I searched but didn't find any topics that seemed relevant. Thanks for reading. :classic:

The 2014 cargo train, IMO, is the best one they've released in a long time. If you're looking for one to buy, I recommend the new one.

Note that Brickset says that one was a Toys 'R Us exclusive.

I'm not looking to buy it, just wondering what the problem with it was. I think it may have had something to do with flex track.

(I have the 2010 trains and will get the 2014 trains.)

I have the 3677 Red cargo train and I love it. It is a beautiful train and there is really no problem play-wise with it.

However since it was at the same price as the 7939 Cargo train which also included more track-side structures as well as points/switches it was a bit overpriced.

And that's basically the only problem there is with that set.

yups, I also do not experience any problems with the set, we have two at school, work very well.

I have the 3677 Red cargo train and I love it. It is a beautiful train and there is really no problem play-wise with it.

Dito.

I'm not looking to buy it, just wondering what the problem with it was. I think it may have had something to do with flex track.

(I have the 2010 trains and will get the 2014 trains.)

There is the problem with the flex track that if you go for maximum curvature and maximum speed, then you can often get your train to fall off. But that is down to physics rather than an inherent problem with the set. It is also slightly noisier than regular track.

I have 3677 and I love it. Bright red, good, solid design. It looks to be 'inspired by' the DB Class V90 and my layout has one for all heavy shunting work. I don't recall an issue, it was always a limited edition.

For what it's worth I reckon the 2014 cargo train is the worst of an otherwise very good range of lego train in recent years. Far too small, a baby-sized SD-40 and poor detail and colour selection. Te other bits in the set are alright but for me it seems crude and underdone.

The complaints were in the review section for the set on Lego's website, and since the set is gone I can't find it. I guess people were upset that they couldn't fly around corners and that it was overpriced. Thanks.

The complaints were in the review section for the set on Lego's website, and since the set is gone I can't find it. I guess people were upset that they couldn't fly around corners and that it was overpriced. Thanks.

Maybe that's it. It's definitely a fast train. The non-powered boogie/truck uses regular train wheels instead of the train motor wheels on technic axles or pins like sets like the yellow cargo train or Maerks train use, so there is less drag. I got the set for my then four year old and and he loves it. I like the choice of locomotive design better than the yellow cargo which is why I kind of encouraged this set over the yellow one... besides, what boy doesn't like a red engine! It was $20 cheaper too, and for that price you could buy a set of switch tracks.

Edited by domboy

Hi

I love this train too. In this MOD you can see that it easily can room an extra M motor to be able to decouple using one of the PF channels. See more on my Flickr.

Decoupler in action

Hey! 3677 is the best set I've ever bought by a long shot. It's a major workhorse. Honestly, I thought it was kind of a bizarre looking thing when I first bought it because I thought it was too long. However, it's easiest to put lights on the shorter end, and then run it with that end facing forward. It very much looks like a mid-sized American road unit when it's facing that way.

Joe

I've always thought the 3677 was an update of 4512 and that 4512 was an update of 4564. Which are all very fine sets. The color matched battery box alone makes it one of the nicer PF trains.

@Hey Joe: yes, it does look like a US road switcher, though with the short height of the long hood, perhaps an Alco RS2 or EMD NW5. If you added a layer of 2 bricks to the long hood any of these engines would look more like a more common GP or similar road switcher. Without this mod, it also looks like a European locomotive too... very good for a worldwide product.

2843.jpg

4512-1.jpg

4564-1.jpg

I've always thought the 3677 was an update of 4512 and that 4512 was an update of 4564. Which are all very fine sets. The color matched battery box alone makes it one of the nicer PF trains.

I have 4564 and 4512 but not PF Train, I can see what you mean about these

I've always had the Idea that the locomotive is a NS 6400 in the red raillion color scene.

I've always had the Idea that the locomotive is a NS 6400 in the red raillion color scene.

I also thought that. But this type of locomotive is around the whole world.