pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

So Disney just bought out Lucasfilm for a cool four BILLION dollars!

http://thenextweb.co...cash-and-stock/

Also, Episode VII will come out in 2015.

And obviously that will mean LEGO sets for those movies.

I've got mixed feelings on this...

More Star Wars is always a good thing, in my mind. And a new Star Wars MOVIE! But...it's Disney. But then again, Disney has done well (so far) with Marvel. But still...

If nothing else it means we might finally see some reprint volumes of the classic 70's-80's Marvel Star Wars comics, giant bunny people and all. (c'mon admit it. You all want a Jaxxon minifig.)

From our Lego perspective I suspect this pretty much guarantees a strong continued Lego SW presence. (and possibly muppet Star Wars minifigs?)

I'm not sure what to think.

Star Wars the original trilogy are my absolute favorite movies. However like many I've not liked the prequels. I see them as average movies not obtaining the legendary status of the originals.

I tried for years to like the prequels but I just can't.

The same thing happened to Indiana Jones. I really did not like 4.

Lucas is probably motivated because he got sad from the responses to his newer movies. Can't blame him. That's a lot of money and it will probably ensure his family lives very well (more well than they have been). I'd thank him for the original trilogy and indiana jones (first 3).

I do NOT see Disney able to recreate the quality and legendary status of the original Trilogy. I can't think of anyone who is up to the task. Yes, the prequels and Clone Wars are popular enough to keep business going but the original Trilogy is much bigger.

I'd be interested to see where people like JJ Abrams (and his team of writers) or Wedon or Nolan would take this but even their best stuff isn't near Star Wars.

I don't see this new movie coming out in 2015 either. They just got the rights recently. I"m thinking it'll take them an extra year or two to really get settled in and make sure it doesn't suck.

I'm nearly speechless. If they mess up, it could be the most ruinous thing to Star Wars since Jar-Jar Binks. (Joking. Mostly. :tongue: ) If they do it well, it could bring new life to it like they did with the Marvel movies. Guess we'll find out in 2015.

I'm nearly speechless. If they mess up, it could be the most ruinous thing to Star Wars since Jar-Jar Binks. (Joking. Mostly. :tongue: ) If they do it well, it could bring new life to it like they did with the Marvel movies. Guess we'll find out in 2015.

I've been comparing the success of Star Wars vs the Marvel movies.. and even if they match the success of Ironman 1 and the Avengers it still pales in comparison with the legendary status of Star Wars IV, V and VI.

I'm talking about movie quality mainly. Ironman 2 wasn't nearly as well liked. Thor and Captain America are mostly deemed as "decent" movies. Nowhere near Star Wars.

Again, I just don't see them ever obtaining the status of the original films. I think the worst thing that could happen is Star Wars gets spammed like X-Men and other films which are yes, often good, but seriously why aim for GOOD when you've gone down in HISTORY. As good as X-Men 1 and 2 were they won't be in the history books. Star Wars will be.

It's a tough act to follow. Not even Lucas could do it. The perfect storm. I have no idea how Disney could follow suit.

Okay, so we can all say.......WTF !!!!? *oh2*

First, Sandy....now this ! *oh2*

Right now, I feel George has totally lost it......first a wacky film about a talking duck.....then Jar Jar.....now this......great Episode 7 made like POTC or worse John Carter.....oh, I hope they still use him for creative adviser.....please Disney. :cry_sad:

What does this mean about Clone Wars on Cartoon Network ?

Any good news about this would be two things........the continued Lego licence....a huge cash cow for both companies - why screw that up and I was right all a long there were 9 books to the Star Wars saga - I was told this over ten years ago by someone who had read all 9 books ! :wink:

One can only hope that this deal doesn't wreck one of the best movie series ever made.......May The Mickey Be With You ! :iamded_lol:

I'm not to shooked about Disney buying out Lucasfilms, talks of this have been going on for about two years now, I'm really suprised to hear about the release of Star Wars Episode 7, 8 and 9 though. I really never thought anyone would try to make these movies, but I guess you can never really question the magic of Disney. This whole making of the movies is going to be very interesting as their only getting about 2 years to make this movie, that reminds me does anyone know the name of the movie, Star Wars_________? I hope disney just doesn't make it into something like John Carter because I'm pretty sure that will ruin the whole star wars franchise forever and I don't want to see Star Wars die due to one bad movie, but they have done really well on all the Marvel movies at this point so there's some hope. This is good for lego though, it will keep them in bussiness until all the movies are released, but this does raise some questions though, such as what will the fate of the clone wars be( I'm I going to have watch it on Disney channel now or is this season ithe final one), when will the movies be released in 3-D now, what will the next movie be about and what will it have to offer to Hasbro and lego?

Edited by North Lego Star

Crap. Watch Disney throw out ALL of the Expanded Universe, like Paramount did with Star Trek...

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but if they do...I may have to burn my Jedi robes in shame. :sadnew:

Edited by Flipz

Still. No. Don't want an Episode 7 or 8 or 9. The original trilogy ended perfectly.

I can see Episode VII as either really good or utterly horrible, I mean, IF they do it right, we can get something akin to the Nolan version of Batman - imagine something like the Thrawn trilogy directed by a competent director. On the other hand, this could turn into the biggest failure in the history of cinema. I really hope it will be based on the Old Republic, since most of the actors in the OT are too old to pick up their role.

I'm hoping this could be a good thing. Disney bought out Marvel, and we got the Avengers. And I haven't seen any change in the quality of Marvel's comics lineup; if anything, it's gotten better. Keep in mind that Star Wars is massively popular; Disney wouldn't shoot itself in the foot by attempting to make something that would cause a mass fan revolt.

Could they consider making an Old Republic film ? :wink:

But I see problem......is TimeWarner (20th Century Fox) willing to lose their cash cow......their best film package in history....their best preforming cartoon series in the world....or is there other deals going down we don't know about ? :wink:

Edit - what about the 3-D releases ?.....will they be sped up now to allow Ep. 7 a clean run ?......if good enough....a few more Oscar's might go Star Wars way ! :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

I wonder what's the fate of the Clone Wars after this... Will it still be on Cartoon Network? :tongue:

What? No. I mean-how? Why? But what about- Where? Maybe.

WHATTHEF-

You can tell how serious this is, nobody's said 'Noooooooo!' or 'That's not true - that's impossible!' yet. :oh3:

The Old Republic films wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. As long as it's far enough away from the OT to not distort the EU (though the Clone Wars was doing that anyway...) it could come out pretty well.

The Old Republic has no chance of getting films with how well it's doing.

Also Disney has said their plan is to make a new Star Wars film every 2-3 years. So I assume that means they're planning to go beyond 7 8 and 9.

Even if they do this somewhat well that seems spammy. They're going to milk it until it's dry and people are sick of Star Wars. :P

I can see Episode VII as either really good or utterly horrible, I mean, IF they do it right, we can get something akin to the Nolan version of Batman - imagine something like the Thrawn trilogy directed by a competent director.

This is pretty much the ONLY way Disney could avoid a massive fan revolt. If they do ANYTHING that alters the canon status of the Thrawn trilogy, the franchise will be killed in a single swift stroke.

Basically, Disney has to respect the EU. The EU is what keeps Star Wars alive--I (and many other fans) hate The Clone Wars because of what it's been doing to continuity--and because the new material that is replacing the continuity is, to use SW parlance, "bantha poodoo." If Disney continues that tradition (only on a more massive scale thanks to movies being a higher tier of canon than the countless novels and comic books that have been produced), then SW will quickly find itself up the Maw without sublight engines.

Also, Pie--I did kinda riff on Obi-Wan's classic reaction to the destruction of Alderaan, over in Culture & Multimedia. :blush:

For a second there I was wondering if I was magically transported to April 1st.

Crap. Watch Disney throw out ALL of the Expanded Universe, like Paramount did with Star Trek...

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but if they do...I may have to burn my Jedi robes in shame. :sadnew:

This was the first thing I was scared of. If they go this route, it would be horrific. On the other hand, there is a (slim?) chance that they would actually pay more attention to the EU than Lucas (that is, not much).

I cant believe George Lucas will let Disney buy him out after all the attempts he made to keep the rights to the movies during its making so that film companies won`t mess up his movies. Will he have a say in the making of the future episodes ? No I don`t think so. I begin to wonder if he has dementia.