jamie75

(LDD MOC) Endor Forest Ranger

After building the SRV-1 and Imperial Troop Transport, I wanted to keep going and decided to start building the Kenner Mini-Rigs from the 80's. There were 9 of these total. This one and the Desert Sail Skiff didn't have numbers. The other 7 were numbered 2-8. For some reason, 1 was missing. HJR, do you know why?!

The Endor Forest Ranger is cool little speeder. It featured an enclosed gyroscopic cockpit and 2 large blaster cannons. It has a very militaristic vibe to it, it looks mean, like something out of a Stormtroopers worst nightmare.

Anyways, this is my take on it, it can hold a figure in the cockpit and the gyroscopic cockpit does turn. There is an axel running through the middle of the model. The hockey puck shape of the front was a pain to build. I had to try to make it hold a figure, but, small enough that it kept feel of the original. After building that, the rest was easy, but, it determined the "scale" for the model. Yes, I know the color is off, but, it is cheaper to build in grays. Plus there are more pieces/ parts available in grays than reddish browns and greens.

3_-_eu_-_mini-rig_-_endor_forest_ranger.jpg

3_-_eu_-_mini-rig_-_endor_forest_ranger_1.jpg

3_-_eu_-_mini-rig_-_endor_forest_ranger_2.jpg

There are 237 pieces in this model. The .lxf file is my Brickshelf folder.

Hope you like, more to come tomorrow, Jamie

Edited by jamie75

Well, the Desert Sail skiff was later named the "Desert Sail-20 Skiff" so in that sence there are a lot more numbers missing... I have no idea why there's no '1' in the line-up.

It started in 1981 with a '3', a '7' and an '8'; in 1982 followed the '4' and the '2', and then in 1983 came the '5' and '6'. so I'm not sure if from the outset they wanted to complete a series. Personally I think the concept Freight-loading external rover could have been the '1', but that one never got released.

Cargo_Handler.jpg

More info on this vehicle can be found here

Nice to see the concept back in the Rebels series though :-)

There's a nice article about the minirigs (and bodyrigs) on the official star Wars website which is worth the read; they also stated that KENNER had plans to release a lot more minirigs than they did in the end, and that one of the minirigs ended up in an X-men comic!

Edited by HJR-Holland

Yeah, I remember reading that article! I stumbled across it while looking for pics of the actual Mini-Rigs and Body-Rigs. Thanks!!

I am working on the Freight-Loading External Rover too. But, to do it, it will require me to modify a Millennium Falcon to it can slide in.

Thanks again, Jamie

Edited by jamie75

Give me 5 minutes! It was the next one I was posting, I just came here to do that.

Jamie

Edited by jamie75

I really like it! And Im loving the way a minifig can fit inside it too. One thing that I always enjoy seeing is if minifigs can fit inside things, and this is no exception despite the small confined space. The build is sleek and curves very well. The rear has been done really well considering the shape it has to match. Not one thing I don't like about it! Great job! :thumbup:

Very impressed you went with slopes instead of arches for the wings. Nicely done!!

Wow, awesome! I'm glad someone built them. I started a new job before the new year. And while I like it, I travel. So time is something I have less of now.

I ordered some pieces from Bricklink before Christmas to start building some of these and they are still sitting next to my computer. Same place they have been for the last 5 months.

Does a pilot fit inside? Did you build it exactly, as I did?

Jamie

Does a pilot fit inside? Did you build it exactly, as I did?

Jamie

Yes, I build it exactly as you described in your LDD, though some special bricks are missing (cockpitscreen).

The pilot fits perfectly as you can see in this picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/miivd8qi67v8n5d/IMG_20150510_235217.jpg?dl=0

I'm think there should be some kind of observation slit in the front of the cockpit, i was thinking something like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3sebkjss9j8obs/IMG_20150510_235124.jpg?dl=0

Moreover it's quite I thinking about how to improve the opening of the cockpit, at the moment the best way is to open the cap, but maybe it could be interesting to open the wall...

But all in all it's a great design, the rotation of the cockpit works great!

Have you also seen the built MTV-7 and INT-4 version?

Chris

Maybe I will modify a little bit the sides of the cockpit, they are too clean or I miss some tecnical details.

Tried to make the window screen transparent (closer to the original). So you can see the pilot.

On the other hand I tried to work with stickers in order to give the side walls a more tecnical appearance.

Here a photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/texwq153fuohsxo/P1150010%20peq.jpg?dl=0

Looks good! I like the window. I may have to re-work the model to include it.

Thanks for sharing, Jamie