I present my latest MOC, a 6x4 Dump Truck:

Click pictures for highres, or visit the BrickSafe folder if you want to :classic:

640x480.jpg

It is based off of the chassis I made for my 8x4 Recovery Truck last year, but obviously has lost an axle, and been adopted for remote control with Power Functions.

It features:

-Drive with two XL-motors

-Steering with Servo-motor

-Independent suspension on front axle

-Live axle suspension on rear axles

-Dumpable bed with one M-motor and two LAs

-Openable cabin

-Openable doors

-V6 engine driven from both rear axles, via a lockavle central differential

-PF LEDs up front

-PF LED reversing lights

I found a sloution to steer the rear axle, using a turntable and a linkage to the servo motor, combined with pendular suspension, but it had too much slack, and wobbled all over the place, so I ditched it. I also made a mechanism to lift and lock the rearmost axle, but that to turned out less than satisfactory, so I ditched that as well :blush:

Pictures!

640x480.jpg

There you can see the red lever above the XL-motor, that engages the central diff

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

The bed is quite spacious

640x480.jpg

I was unsure if the M-motor would be sufficient to tip the bed, but it turned out very well, and it has no problem, even with some load! :thumbup:

640x480.jpg

Close up of the tipping LAs. The driving rinf you can see above the rearmost axle is from the locking mechanism I tried to make, that didn't work. I then forgot to take it out :blush:

640x480.jpg

Here the cabin is tilted forward. The battery box is held in a solid structure behind the cabin, as you can see. The servo for steering is placed vertically just below the battery box.

640x480.jpg

Close-up of the V6 engine, including "twin turbochargers" :classic:

640x480.jpg

The side panels taken off the battery box compartment, shows the wiring and placement of the servo

640x480.jpg

At the front of the bed, we have a spare wheel, and some tools

640x480.jpg

...for when you need to change a tyre (obviously) :sweet:

640x480.jpg

The rear axles with left wheels removed for better view. You can also see where the tipping LAs are attached

640x480.jpg

And of course, the under belly shot

640x328.jpg

An LDD representation of the drive line. Green is where the power from the two XLs come from, purple is the axle to the engine, cyan and orange are axles 2 and 3 respectively.

All in all I am pretty pleased with the result, as I've been wanting to build this for a long time!

Hope to make a video of it in the not too distant future! :wink:

I will also perfect the LDD model, make it available for those who want it, and post it on rebrickable. I might even make instructions for it, if I fin the time, and can get LDraw to work again :classic:

Brilliant build full of great details. I love the XL motors doubling as fuel tanks and the placing of the spare wheel & tools is genius.

EDIT

...very clever hide of the recivers :thumbup: :thumbup: .

Yep. Brilliantly incorporated.

Spent 10 minutes going over the photos before I found them!

Edited by grum64

Love the driveline, its simple and complex at the same time.

Beautiful, your MOCs are just getting better and better. Really hope you can find the time to make (paid) instructions.

Great work! Everything is neat and orderly.

Thanks! One of the goals was to have a clean exterior, without too many pinholes, and I feel I managed to keep them to a minimum, even without using tons of tile bricks! :thumbup:

Great Truck and very clever hide of the recivers :thumbup: :thumbup: .
Brilliant build full of great details. I love the XL motors doubling as fuel tanks and the placing of the spare wheel & tools is genius. EDIT Yep. Brilliantly incorporated. Spent 10 minutes going over the photos before I found them!

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! The hiding of the receivers can be a real pain when space is limited, especially in studless models! :wacko:

Great site for the extra wheel :thumbup: and great truck too :wink: .

Yeah, I saw pictures of real trucks having the spare wheel placed on front of the bed! :classic: Not enclosed like in my model though (as it is now, I don't quite see how the driver would get the wheel out and onto the ground :laugh: )

Love the driveline, its simple and complex at the same time.

Thanks! I tried to keep it mechanically sound, incorporating the desired functions. It has been pointed out to me that central diffs aren't really necessary between the rear axles on LEGO models, so getting rid of that would simplify things and free up a lot of space! Still, I wanted to have it :blush:

Beautiful, your MOCs are just getting better and better. Really hope you can find the time to make (paid) instructions.

Cheers! Learning by doing, you know! :wink:

As for instructions, I don't have too much on my agenda this summer (except job application and finding a new place to live), so I might get on that! It was a lot of fun (albeit time consuming) to make the Swingloader instructions! :sweet:

Great MOC! Looking great!

It must have you taking up a lot of time to build this MOC.

I was wodering when you are building a MOC like ths, do you use pictures from a excisting truck?

(Forgive my bad english, I am dutch)

Great MOC! Looking great!

It must have you taking up a lot of time to build this MOC.

I was wodering when you are building a MOC like ths, do you use pictures from a excisting truck?

(Forgive my bad english, I am dutch)

Thanks a lot! And there is absolutely no problem understanding your English! :wink:

This MOC was actually very quickly designed and built, maybe around a week or so from concept to finished product. That being said, I still find things to improve, for example I redesigned the rear axles, using the hubs from 42000 to make it more rigid today. :blush:

I look at some pictures, to try to get a sense of the scale of things, as well as the general design. This truck is not based on any particular real life truck, but rather builds and improves on a design I made for another MOC last year. When you google "6x4 dump truck" you will see that most trucks like this have a simpler cabin for instance, like this one:

New-HOWO-6X4-Dump-Truck-from-safebuy-china.jpg

While I opted for something bigger, more like the kind you see on the tractor trucks for semi trailers in Europe, like this one:

China_SINOTRUK_6x4_Tractor_Truck20101221109422.jpg

with some added details, like the bull bar (?) and extra lights :classic:

Edited by D3K

Exellent work as always!!! I like detailing and complete form without holes! Waiting for video :)

As for instructions, I don't have too much on my agenda this summer (except job application and finding a new place to live), so I might get on that! It was a lot of fun (albeit time consuming) to make the Swingloader instructions! :sweet:

Good to hear! I'll definitely buy a copy.

Bad news!! I had a break in in my apartment early this morning, while I was still sound asleep! :thumbdown: The A$$hole took my good computer (along with some other stuff), so I won't be making instructions (or anything else, for that matter) until: a) I get it back, or b) I get some insurance money, or c) get a well paid job.

Luckily he/they didn't steal my LEGO, even though he/they only broke into my LEGO room/office! :classic:

I missed this topic. But, luckily I saw it this time. Because, that's a very nice moc. :thumbup:

Your mocs are always very nice. Nice work again D3K :classic:

But, the break in isn't that nice...

What a bummer! I hope the computer didn't contain any critical data like photos or something like that, because it's worse to lose those than the pc itself...

A laptop of my friend was stolen a few months ago and he had all his family photos on there... he also never backupped any photos... :hmpf:

I missed this topic. But, luckily I saw it this time. Because, that's a very nice moc. :thumbup:

Your mocs are always very nice. Nice work again D3K :classic:

But, the break in isn't that nice...

What a bummer! I hope the computer didn't contain any critical data like photos or something like that, because it's worse to lose those than the pc itself...

A laptop of my friend was stolen a few months ago and he had all his family photos on there... he also never backupped any photos... :hmpf:

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the model! :classic::thumbup:

It did have all my photos from my years in the military, as well as from my year-long trip sailing the world. I did back it all up, but the burglar stole my external drive as well, it seems!! :angry: Luckily they caught the guy, but my stuff seems already gone.. hope they lock him up, but I'm pretty sure the charges will be dismissed, as is pretty usual for small crimes in this country apparently.. Dream scenario: the offended (me) could challenge the perpetrator to "Trial by combat"! :grin:

But let's just hope for the best, and leave it at that, and get back on topic :wink:

EDIT:

GOOD NEWS! The Police really outdid themselves this time, making two arrests and recovering all my property (even some things I didn't realize were gone!)

Edited by D3K

GOOD NEWS! The Police really outdid themselves this time, making two arrests and recovering all my property (even some things I didn't realize were gone!)

That's great to hear! Congratulations!

That sounds like a little wonder. Feeling glad for you!

Just curious: where exactly do you live?

I'm very glad! Feels like winning the lottery, as it's probably a one in a thousand - if not ten thousand - incident where the the offended actually gets all his stuff back! :grin:

And I live in Bergen, Norway :classic:

Anyway, this MOC is now up on Rebrickable, combined with the LDD file. For convenience, here is the LDD file.

Some notes on the LDD:

-The cabin and bed can be modeled separately, and then be added to the chassis at a late point (separate sub-assemblies in the LDD file)

-You need four hard, small (yellow) shock absorbers for the front axle, as the front is pretty heavy

-The cabin can probably be lightened by using 5x11 panels instead of the large amount of 3x5 bent liftarms, at the expense of looks and rigidity

-You need four soft, small (grey) shock absorbers for the rear axles (two for each). depending on how much load you want to haul, they might need to be hard instead

-The servo motor is under the batterybox, but not included in the LDD file (see pictures)

-Most thin liftarms can be a variety of colours, I've used mostly LBG and DBG in the model, but they could just as easily be black

-The "thing" between the LAs is a place you can but the black 2x2 brick that's in the middle of PF LEDs if you want to add lights to the back

-I would start the build around the front axle, building from the inside to outside, and front to back :classic:

-Also it uses two of these 15100.jpg in the doors, which are not in LDD yet. It's fairly obvious where they go... :wink:

Hope to see some other colours of this model, if anyone decides to give it a go! Like I mentioned earlier, I feel the build is pretty clean and thorough, so I really hope to be able to make instructions before the end of the summer! :blush::thumbup:

EDIT: I have now updated both the LDD file and the parts list on Rebrickable to include some things I forgot :blush:

Edited by D3K

Like I mentioned earlier, I feel the build is pretty clean and thorough, so I really hope to be able to make instructions before the end of the summer! :blush::thumbup:

Awesome, cause I hate building from LDD :wink:

Nice! It seems I only miss a few pieces :classic:

Btw, I could help with the instructions, if you need any help.

-Also it uses two of these 15100.jpg in the doors, which are not in LDD yet. It's fairly obvious where they go... :wink:

These were not included in the Rebrickable parts list, I've added them for you.

Also, are the 4 x 4265c black in a visible location? They're very rare.

These were not included in the Rebrickable parts list, I've added them for you.

Also, are the 4 x 4265c black in a visible location? They're very rare.

Thanks!

And no, those are actually not in the finished model, as I know they are very rare. They were in the very front of the cabin, part of the black line going around it. I substituted they for something else in the physical model. I will update the LDD, as well as the parts list! Thanks for making me aware of this! :thumbup:

EDIT:

Done. There may be other small mistakes in the .lxf, but I think it is definitely buildable :classic:

Edited by D3K