Sign in to follow this  
Gabe

Terraced Villa in Peregrinus

Built for the Summer Joust, Guild category, Team Kaliphlin. And also a free build! :wink:

After the civil war in Kaliphlin ended in stalemate, the main concerns of it's leaders turned to how to rebuild their shattered economy. Marauding armies had raided and decimated farms throughout the land, leading to widespead hunger and deprivation. Peregrinus had fared somewhat better than it's neighbouring provinces, as most of it's battles had been fought against Ulandis on the sea. Although not blessed with much arable land, the locals have made do by cutting into the hillsides, creating terraces where produce can be grown. Soldiers from both sides of the conflict have found ready work on the land, finding a new common purpose after the exhaustion of war.

27963016196_636c928fc9_c.jpgTerraced Villa in Peregrinus - 1 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

27383685773_f6458b2ea2_c.jpgTerraced Villa in Peregrinus - 2 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

27919961911_81a5b3333b_c.jpgTerraced Villa in Peregrinus - 4 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

Many Ulandian personnel were washed ashore on Peregrinus during the fierce naval battles fought off the coast. Here a stranded Ulandian veteran is reduced to begging for alms on the street. A Peregrinian soldier on patrol is moved by his plight and helps him with money so he can buy his passage home.

27919977761_1fcc1c0c9c_c.jpgTerraced Villa in Peregrinus - 5 by Gabriel Thomson, on Flickr]

I feel like a bit of a fraud cause i didn't actually take part in the Kaliphlin civil war... (work was bonkers during that time), but at least i can play a role in showing the recovery afterwards!

Anyway, i hope you have enjoyed looking at my build. C&c welcome as always. :classic:

This build is just beautiful, Gabe. :wub: The vivid colors you have achieved scream Kaliphlin, as do the architectural styles. Absolutely love those terraces! Keep it up! :thumbup:

I love the colorful stripes on the white walls; they really pop out and give a great deal of character to the build. And your stonework is excellent, too.

The terraces are so jaw-dropping, as is the colourscheme :drool:

This is a absolutely beautiful build! All the colors, the layout, everything looks so awesome!

Simply amazingly! So many of the small details here are so well implemented, (that window design on the light blue building is a master stroke). The path design, side landscaping, wall texturing, door technique, the white and light blue details near the arch, vines, garden beds, roof technique and story line each add up to an amazing build!

If I was forced to find an error with such a great build, it would have to be the square part at the front of the irregular base, it looks a bit out of place when compared to the more natural looking, angled sections of the base.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! I'm very glad you like my build, although it was rather rushed, i had a lot of fun building it. :blush:

Simply amazingly! So many of the small details here are so well implemented, (that window design on the light blue building is a master stroke). The path design, side landscaping, wall texturing, door technique, the white and light blue details near the arch, vines, garden beds, roof technique and story line each add up to an amazing build!

If I was forced to find an error with such a great build, it would have to be the square part at the front of the irregular base, it looks a bit out of place when compared to the more natural looking, angled sections of the base.

Thanks Henry! I'm glad to hear that you noticed the upper story window, that's one of my fav bits also. I see what you mean about the stepped rather than angled edge at the front of the base... i hadn't considered that, prob because it seemed enough that it mimicked the curve of the terrace behind it. I'm happy to let that rough edge show i think. :wink:

I did not even notice the detailing in the short wall surrounding the upper level walkway and balcony patio. Are those bricks the sheep legs from the Minecraft sets? Or do they come in other sets, too? It looks fantastic, and adds a great texture to the build as a whole.

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

This is a beautiful build! I love the rock and landscaping. I also really like the plants in the terrace by the main gate. The tree is also really well done. The building itself is really nice. I like the colors used. The white and light blue work really well together, and the contrast with the darker colors of the building and rooftops helps them to pop even more. I also like the use of the flower pots, and the main gate looks great. The story also works very nicely.

Great work!

This is really great! Love the color integration! Reminds me a bit of Witcher 3's final DLC. :thumbup:

Beautiful build Gabe! Although that Ulandus soldier doesn't deserve any coins. He has no home to return to. :tongue:

I was quite excited to see you were able to enter the Summer Joust, despite your short time-frame. Lovely color and composition, as I've come to expect in your creations :thumbup:

The roofs are spectacular, the little cloth one up top is especially cool :wub: Wonderful terraces as well :classic:

Outstanding work again, Gabe! :wub: The color choices are perfect, and I love the overall layout :thumbup: The trellis over the chair on the porch was a great detail.

Excellent job with the road texturing and roof as well :classic:

Edited by LittleJohn

It feels so alive on the first photos, and the building has a lot of details to admire. Greatly done. Truly liking the first gate, the tower and the crops. :)

Thanks so much Faladrin, Niku, LittleJohn, SK, Umbra-manis, Mike, x105black, Lazer, Henjin, Mlongworth and Leonardo da Bricki! I appreciate all your kind words. :blush:

Also Gabe, don't forget UoP. :wink:

Oh right, yes! I'd forgotten about that. Good to see it's still going though. :thumbup:

I did not even notice the detailing in the short wall surrounding the upper level walkway and balcony patio. Are those bricks the sheep legs from the Minecraft sets? Or do they come in other sets, too? It looks fantastic, and adds a great texture to the build as a whole.

Those 1x2 modified bricks have been around for donkey's years and comes in a bunch of colours. See it's Bricklink element page for more info. :classic:

Beautiful build Gabe! Although that Ulandus soldier doesn't deserve any coins. He has no home to return to. :tongue:

Oh, really? *oh2* Are you serious, has Ulandis been sunk again, or is that just a statement of intent from the desert king? I've been away from GoH for so long, it's hard to keep up with what's what.

I was quite excited to see you were able to enter the Summer Joust, despite your short time-frame. Lovely color and composition, as I've come to expect in your creations :thumbup:

The roofs are spectacular, the little cloth one up top is especially cool :wub: Wonderful terraces as well :classic:

Thanks so much SK, for both your comment and for orginising such a fun comp! I really enjoyed taking part, even though i only came in at the end. If it happens again next year, i'd love to take part! :thumbup::classic:

Lovin this a lot, attention to detail... little words for this stunning piece.

...Oh, really? *oh2* Are you serious, has Ulandis been sunk again, or is that just a statement of intent from the desert king? I've been away from GoH for so long, it's hard to keep up with what's what...

It's just DK foam. Or if it isn't, I didn't know about it. :laugh:

:wub: Awesome job once again, Gabe, the terraces are superb, and the house, colors, and rock-work are excellent as well!

About Ulandus - its ruler has poofed, but other than that it ought to be doing fine! :grin::laugh: