Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#119: The Blackgull Inquisition

heroicaquest119.jpg

Early one morning, three heroes took a shuttle boat to Fort Bonaparte, where they had a scheduled appointment with a member of the Bonaparte they had never heard of before. Nevertheless, the name had a sinister ring to it: Blackgull...

Party:

14843699811_088fbcaeeb_o.jpgAnnienal Anavir (Kintobor)

"19" year old elven female Knight *Party Leader*

Level 5

Power: 9 (5+4)

Health: 14/14 (10+4)

Defense: 4 (2+2)

Equipment: Training Sword (WP:4), College Shield (SP: 2), Pauldrons (SP: 2, suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers; accessory)

Gold: 13

Inventory: Wicked Javelin (WP: 7, throwing weapon, retreivable, 1/6 chance to slow), Sanctified Rito Longsword (WP: 4, Hits doubled against flying enemies, longsword), Ammit (WP: 6; greatsword, user gains 5 ether for every kill); 2 Potions, 2 Phoenix Essences, Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Field Rations (Restore 15 health)

14672251026_7ce2a272c5_t.jpgMiderun (CallMePie)

18 year old female orc Barbarian

Level 5

Power: 19 (5+13+1)

Health: 12/12 (8+4)

Gold: 92

Equipment: Oculoid Claw (WP: 13, 1/6 chance of dealing the infected-effect, causing an enemy to lose health equal to 1/3 of their level rounded down at the end of each round, club), Seductive Perfume (Holder deals the enamored-effect, suitable for women; accessory)

Inventory: Serstyral (WP: 3, axe), High Heels (Power +1; suitable for women; footwear.), 3 Potions, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, Mead, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb

Warlen_ava.pngWarlen Melimane (The Chosen Minifigure)

23 year old male half-elven Mage

Level 6

Power: 11 (6+5) (Spellpower: 16 (6+5+5))

Health: 10/10 (5+5)

Ether: 10/10 (5+5)

Gold: 30

Equipment: Gold-coated Bat Staff (WP:5, staff), Spellbound Gloves (Power +5 to spells)

Inventory: Robe of the Magi (SP:1; suitable to mages; bodywear), Amethyst (Darkness), Sapphire (Wind), Emerald (Wood), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Tonic, Remedy, Nostrum, Mead, Dragon Scale, Smoke bomb, Fire Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Telescope

The trio was directed to the Admiral's Office, where they met an uniformed man with bushy moustache and a dark-skinned elven woman.

heroicaquest119-office1.jpg

heroicanpc-blackgullbonaparte.jpg

"Greetings. I am Commodore Obero Bonaparte, but I am better known as Blackgull. This here is my wife, Xsenna of the Huravani."

heroicanpc-xsenna.jpg

"Lyu hura sa'esse indi ahor utu el'esse umuhor."

"It means: May the Sun set upon this day to rise tomorrow. Xsenna is a Sun Elf, they all have an odd fixation with the big bright orb that floats in the sky. But that it basically their greeting.

If you don't mind, we should go straight into business. I was summoned from my retirement at the Eversummer Islands to smack some sense to my catatonic nephew, but to my horror I found the entire Fort Bonaparte in turmoil upon my arrival. The rumour tells of an uprising to overthrow my family altogether. We Bonapartes have been the Wardens of the Crystalline Sea for generations - to give up that title to some upstart is unfathomable! The insurgents among the high-ranking officers must be uncovered and dealt with fast before it is too late. Of course, none of them are dumb enough to confess their rebellious intentions to me voluntarily, so that is why I require your help."

heroicanpc-xsenna.jpg

"Ei se'yre lokuro", muttered the Sun Elf, sizing the party up.

"They look competent enough, my wife", Blackgull retorted with a shrug. A hint of smile could be detected behind the moustache. "I have narrowed down the prime suspects to three officers. I want you to seek them out and find out if they are loyal to the Bonaparte or not, and then report back to me. Understood?"

QM Note: Welcome to the quest! This quest will be on the short side, with three battles at most, depending on your choices. Like I said in the Hall, I have a busy week ahead, so updates will be sporadic. My apologies in advance.

Warlen grinned, taking a liking to the stern looking sailor.

"Sir yes sir!" he shouted. After giving himself a moment to grin, he became serious.

"Warlen Melimane, Half-Elf. I've had... experience dealing with... traitors," he said thinking back to his dealings with the Shadeaux.

"Who might these possible traitors be?"

I just updated my stats with my latest purchase. Miderun should be out a 100 gold and have Seductive Perfume equipped. :thumbup:

Miderun looked around with appreciation at the vast Fort Bonaparte. It reminded her distantly of the fortresses of the High Kingdoms. Well, the ones she'd been told stories of, anyway. She looked from her fellow heroes towards Obero.

"It sounds like the admiral still can't get over his brother's death. That's what all of this is about, right?" she asked bluntly. "So these other officers think they could do a better job of it and take advantage. Makes sense. But obviously they lack the conviction to do it. Hear that's one thing the Bonapartes have in abundance. I guess you haven't told the admiral about these traitors?"

Annienal felt a little cut off by Warlen and Miderun. She was given the role of party leader, and she figured it would be better if she introduced herself first. Although, considering how intimidating the Commodore looked, it might have been for the best. The building reminded her of Trost Military Academy, almost a little too much.

"Um... Annienal Anavir, at your service, sir. If I might ask, is there a reason someone would want to overthrow your house? And if so, who, or, um... whom?"

"Warlen Melimane, Half-Elf. I've had... experience dealing with... traitors," he said thinking back to his dealings with the Shadeaux.

"Who might these possible traitors be?"

"I cannot say how far the treacherous thoughts have spread, but these are the three main suspects I have."

heroicaquest119-hookscaldera.jpg

Captain Javier "Hooks" Caldera

"Captain Caldera was a pirate who was captured by my brother Leo when he was the admiral. He got the nickname "Hooks" when my brother chopped both of his hands off as a punishment for theft. He let Caldera keep his life if he promised to serve our family - after all, the pirate's skills as a captain were famous throughout the Crystalline Sea. But once a pirate, always a pirate. Hooks Caldera has always been the odd duck among the officers, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had waited all these years to take vengeance on us."

heroicaquest119-georbullsworth.jpg

Captain Geor Bullsworth

"The Bullsworth family has been our loyal ally for centuries, and Captain Geor hasn't been an exception. However, lately his cargo has been stolen suspiciously often, despite all efforts to keep the storage building a secret. To make things worse, the cargo his ship carries includes dwarven-forged weapons from Titaan for our troops. If he is planning a revolution inside the Fort, hoarding those weapons to himself will make it too easy for my comfort."

heroicaquest119-meliodoulfogfarer.jpg

Commander Meliodoul Fogfarer

"The last of the three is the most suspicious of them all, but also the one I most hope would prove to be innocent. The Fogfarer has been with our family for over a hundred years, and I have memories of him carving me wooden boats when I was just a wee lad. For some reason, the Moon Elf has been speaking vocally against the restrictions and taxes we have imposed on the trading ships - just like my poor nephew Reno did when he still lived, as I've been told. I tried confronting him about his motives, but he refused to talk to me. If I'm any good at judging men by their expressions, I'd say he was ashamed of something."

heroicanpc-xsenna.jpg

"Lunevani se'yre lokuro. Lokuro somo akava."

"Now now, Xsenna. Not all Moon Elves are power-hungry demonologists. But anyway, I need you to go to these three officers and do whatever you can to determine where their loyalties lie."

"It sounds like the admiral still can't get over his brother's death. That's what all of this is about, right?" she asked bluntly. "So these other officers think they could do a better job of it and take advantage. Makes sense. But obviously they lack the conviction to do it. Hear that's one thing the Bonapartes have in abundance. I guess you haven't told the admiral about these traitors?"

"Unfortunately Nemo is still shaken up from what happened with his twin brother. He refuses to carry out his duties, and with his daughter away and his wife having little authority with the officers, there hasn't been anyone calling the shots in the Fort. Until now. I am calling the shots, but naturally I will inform the admiral should we find strong evidence about one or more of these three officers. There is someone rousing the flames of revolt, and if it isn't one of the three, then I have been severely mislead."

heroicanpc-xsenna.jpg

"Ven! Aisi mei kalk'asse xi'ama."

"Wife, please, I've asked you to speak the common tongue when we have visitors. It is not like I haven't thought you how!"

heroicanpc-xsenna.jpg

"What if I not want?" Xsenna smiles cheekily.

"Um... Annienal Anavir, at your service, sir. If I might ask, is there a reason someone would want to overthrow your house? And if so, who, or, um... whom?"

Blackgull sighs deeply.

"Not all citizens of Eubric appreciate the peace and order my family has ensured them for over 400 years. That peace comes at a cost. We have to collect toll fees from the traders to maintain our fleet and the Fort, and restrict what may and may not be brought into the city for safety reasons. Some people would like to see Eubric be a true freeport, but it would only make this city a den of smugglers and pirates. There are no laws in this city except those that we Houses in Power impose, and while the other houses may cowardly divert their eyes from the problems in this city, we Bonapartes will stand stalwart and ever-vigilant, never forgetting our duty. Now, are there any more questions or should I send you on your way?"

"What are these guys haunts?"

Warken grinned.

"Lemme guess: Taverns and Pubs, or Boats and Ships."

"They all have a house in the city proper, actually. I will provide you with the adresses."

"They all have a house in the city proper, actually. I will provide you with the adresses."

"Are they at these places currently? Are we interrogating them or investigating their houses? Or both? I assume you don't want your involvement known about? One more thing. Where did you get all this information from?"

"I suppose following Miderun's question, I guess I'd like to know if we should be worried about anything else? Is there anyone who might impede our investigation, or perhaps something that we should look out for?" Annienal felt like socializing with the Barbarian, but not in front of her superior. That would be rather rude of her.

"I guess we'll need to get proof of their treachery, in the event that they are traitors. I don't suppose you would have a filing system with shipping reports? That may be of use."

"That sounds like a hollow victory," remarked Miderun.

1416452499[/url]' post='2058760']

"That sounds like a hollow victory," remarked Miderun.

"Think about it," said Warlen. We can't just accuse them of stealing stuff unless we have some pretty compelling evidence. But if we found for example, a letter saying "Deliver the goods at blackbird Island," dated for the day after a ship lost its cargo..." that would be pretty helpfull. Even better, we could find some other evidence!"

Quarion chuckled.

"Not so hollow now."

Ooc: I meant for Quarion to be in it from the start, but I didn't get a chance to introduce him. This seemed as good a time as any to bring him into action. :wink:

Edited by The Chosen Minifigure

Annienal looks sheepishly at the talking skull, not sure how to feel about it, other than distressed.

"Um... you do realize there is no Blackbird Island anywhere along the coasts of Uland? That and I'd suspect if there were documents the Bonaparte's would've gone through them already."

Warlen looked sheepish.

"I seem to have misexplained myself. I meant to say that if we find a letter in one of their houses containing what I mentioned before, and a document with the information of when a ship "Lost its cargo", then we could put 2 and 2 together."

Warlen grinned.

"And to answer your other comment, I just used the word Blackbird because it sounds cool."

Quarion stopped examining a particularly exquisite painting on the wall, and turned to join in on the conversation, before noticing Annienals expression.

"I don't bite," he said, grinning. Then he remembered that he didn't have lips and stopped trying to grin.

Edited by The Chosen Minifigure

"Are they at these places currently? Are we interrogating them or investigating their houses? Or both? I assume you don't want your involvement known about? One more thing. Where did you get all this information from?"

"It is up to you to find the suspects and decide how you you wish to approach them. Asking questions is a good way to start, but be covert about it. I already tried the direct route, which only got them silent. Blurting out that you work for me right off the bat will only scare them off of confessing anything to you. I have been looking into this matter day and night ever since I returned here, and this is where my own little inquisition has led. Look, if I thought I could sort this out by myself, I would not have hired you."

"I suppose following Miderun's question, I guess I'd like to know if we should be worried about anything else? Is there anyone who might impede our investigation, or perhaps something that we should look out for?" Annienal felt like socializing with the Barbarian, but not in front of her superior. That would be rather rude of her.

"This is Eubric - any number of things could get in your way. I've been told of this underground organization calling themselves the Wolfgang gaining a hold of some parts of this city. And there are of course the family of blueskins with their airships. Even in the Eversummer Islands, visits from the Aoi meant nothing but harm. The islands themselves were a paradise, but the lands of Xu were too damn close to my comfort."

heroicanpc-xsenna.jpg

"Xu only take, give nothing."

A thought came to Warlen.

"I guess we'll need to get proof of their treachery, in the event that they are traitors. I don't suppose you would have a filing system with shipping reports? That may be of use."

"I already told you about the reports from Captain Bullsworth's stolen cargo, did I not? I've been through the papers a dozen times already, I did not hire you to do the same thing all over again. I need eyes and ears that are not directly linked to the Bonapartes. And you need to be fast, before any of the suspects catch wind that I hired you for this cause. These walls around us may be thick, but if someone wished to spy on us, I am sure they would find the means to do so. I give you this day time to go to all three suspects and find out what you can. Report to me before midnight. I do not want to risk getting fed with false information. You have my trust, for now."

The party can visit the three suspects in any order they wish.

Having had his theory shot down in flames, Warlen sighed, then turned to the ladies.

"I think we should start with the Elf. Me and Annienal are both elves, although I'm just half of one. It will probably be easier to get information from him."

Having had his theory shot down in flames, Warlen sighed, then turned to the ladies.

"I think we should start with the Elf. Me and Annienal are both elves, although I'm just half of one. It will probably be easier to get information from him."

"Sounds fair to me. As much as it disappoints me to say it, I guess we should start by being diplomatic..." Miderun sighed. "If the elf is weak as Blackgull says, he seems like he'd respond better to questioning than us tearing apart his house for clues. But we'd need a cover story of some kind." She looked sideways at Annienal. "You're good with those, right?"

Annienal feels put on the spot and tries to give a reassuring smile, although it pretty obvious she wasn't.

"Um... sure I can give one? We could always try and tie it back to the wooden boats somehow, perhaps ask him if he has any for sale and see where it goes... or something."

Annienal frowned at Warlen jumping in front of her, a hint of sternness in her soft voice.

"Um... I'm kind of the party leader, Warlen... I guess I'll take all of their addresses and we'll head for Fogfarer's first."

Edited by Kintobor

"Right...." Miderun mumbled through her mask, evidently skeptical of her elven partymates. "Well, we're not going be nailing any traitors sitting around this fort. Annienal's right, let's get out of here."

The commodore gave the party all the addresses of the three suspects.

"I am aware that this is a difficult task, and you might not uncover the truth about all three of them, but providing me with evidence about the loyalties of at least two out of three should suffice to quench the mutiny for now. But I won't hold you any longer. Go and find out what you can."

heroicanpc-xsenna.jpg

"Lyu hura al''aysse andi kei. May Sun walk over you."

"Wife, you must mean watch, not walk."

heroicaquest119-office2.jpg

The three heroes then left the couple, promising to return by midnight with the information they've gathered. Their first stop was the elf Meliodoul Fogfarer's house at Way's End. It was a quaint townhouse near the Temple of the Lost Gods, made out of wood and clay. Something was written in Moon Elven runes on the stone slab in front of the door.

heroicaquest119-fogfarerhouse.jpg

What would the heroes do now?

Miderun peeked through the window as they party walked up to the front of the door.

Miderun peeked through the window as they party walked up to the front of the door.

It was dim inside, but Miderun could make out a bed with someone lying on it, with his or her back to the window. The person did not appear to be the Fogfarer himself, for the hair was shorter and darker than on the picture of the elf Blackgull had shown them.