Sign in to follow this  
Ash

Etiquette for reposting MOCs/Customs on blogs and news sites

When someone posts an amazing MOC or custom figure you'll often see it featuring on loads of Lego (or general geek) blogs, usually with an image or two.

Is there any particular etiquette for this? I think it's fairly safe to assume that if things are poperly credited and there's some kind of link to the source most creative types welcome the exposure and attention. In general is it OK to just go ahead and feature one of these creations in a blog post... or should you ask for permission soon.

In the past I've always asked for permission, but I'm not sure if that's nescesarry. I might be asking something really obvious here, but hey, there's no such thing as a stupid question... right? right?

If this is covered in a FAQ or something somewhere feel free to point me in the right direction.

I don't think there is an official rule.

In my opinion common courtesy flows like this. Once something is posted on the Internet in a public setting that is viewable by anyone, it is fair game. That being said it is common courtesy to give credit by name and also link back to the creators original post.

Now if the post or thread or whatever specifically says do not repost without permission, then I would kindly ask for permission. Most people would be thrilled at their creation receiving additional coverage at no cost or effort by themselves.

EB has no rules on this, but it really is a case of common sense and courtesy. Such as

• If you find a MOC on a site such as EB or BB, it's polite to acknowledge where you found it and then post away.
  • If you find a MOC on a place like Flickr or Brickshelf then do the same. If it was posted on EB first that's irrelevant.

To me asking permission should only be considered if you find the MOC on the builders personal site or blog.

Whenever I've blogged MOCs, I've tried my best to contact the author and let them know I've covered their MOC. The very few instances where that has not been possible have been guys who only post stuff on Brickshelf and are pretty much untracable anyplace else.

So far I haven't asked people explicitly whether they'd mind me blogging their MOCs beforehand. As noted, I've always done my best to contact them and let them know of where/ how I covered their builds though. And naturally, stating the source (Eurobricks / flickr / Brickshelf / MOCPages / other forums & communities) and the author; providing a link to the respective MOC and the author's gallery / photostream; as well as (if available) the author's real name, has always been a must for me.