VintageLegoEra

Shooting and Non-Shooting Cannons...What you Have!?

What you Have   

38 members have voted

1. 1. Lego 6285/10040, Black Seas Barracuda

• Shooting Cannon
    • Non-Shooting Cannon
    • Both
    • Dont Own The Set
    • Disabled Shooters
  2. 2. Lego 6286, Skull's Eye Schooner

• Shooting Cannon
    • Non-Shooting Cannon
    • Both
    • Dont Own The Set
    • Disabled Shooters
  3. 3. Lego 6274, Caribean Clipper

• Shooting Cannon
    • Non-Shooting Cannon
    • Both
    • Dont Own The Set
    • Disabled Shooters
  4. 4. Lego 6271, Imperial Flagship

• Shooting Cannon
    • Non-Shooting Cannon
    • Both
    • Dont Own The Set
    • Disabled Shooters
  5. 5. Lego 6289/6290 Red Beard Runner

• Shooting Cannon
    • Non-Shooting Cannon
    • Both
    • Dont Own The Set
    • Disabled Shooters
  6. 6. Lego 6268, Renegade Runner

• Shooting Cannon
    • Non-Shooting Cannon
    • Both
    • Dont Own The Set
    • Disabled Shooters
  7. 7. Lego 6250, Cross Bone Clipper

• Shooting Cannon
    • Non-Shooting Cannon
    • Both
    • Dont Own The Set
    • Disabled Shooters
  8. 8. Lego 6291, Armada Flagship

• Shooting Cannon
    • Non-Shooting Cannon
    • Both
    • Dont Own The Set
    • Disabled Shooters

Hello,,,

I am doing a small report about the Cannon Types that appeared in Pirate Ships. As we all ( some ) know that US version , first Version were having shooting, then shortly they were receiving the Non-Shooting cannons, where the European Version were having all Shooting types EXCEPT for set 10040, as they had both Shooting and non-shooting.

I hope all of you assist in this survey and provide as accurate as possible ;)

Cheers

Edited by VintageLegoEra

As far as I am aware, the U.S. cannons where shooters in the first wave in 1989. After that year, all of the other cannons were non-shooters, I am not certain if the 1991 and 1992 waves came with shooters in the U.S. I do own some nearly complete first wave sets that came with shooter cannons. All of the other sets I got in 1993 and later were non-shooters.

Wait a minute, there are really cannons that can't shoot?? As far as I know, here in Europe, they were always able to shoot

As far as I am aware, the U.S. cannons where shooters in the first wave in 1989. After that year, all of the other cannons were non-shooters, I am not certain if the 1991 and 1992 waves came with shooters in the U.S. I do own some nearly complete first wave sets that came with shooter cannons. All of the other sets I got in 1993 and later were non-shooters.

Exactly ..this is what i mentioned as well!...well, as for the 6285, First year ( 1989 ) was released with shooting Versions for US, The year later they made it with Non-shooting for US

Let it be noted the 6250 Crossbone Clipper was only released in Northern America and therefore had a non-shooting cannon by default, even though all box art and catalogue images depict it with a shooting cannon.

The reason some second-hand market purchases have a shooting cannon is because the original cannon was replaced.

I don't really get the point of this poll. What does it matter, really?

Then why are you posting? no need for your feedback then

I thought this was a pretty well-known thing. If you're trying to figure out here in the US if someone got a set with shooting cannons that later was distributed with non-shooting versions, I get that, but your survey needs to be changed to reflect that. For instance, grouping 6285 with the Legends re-release 10040 doesn't' make sense as 6285 definitely had shooting cannons at the start of the run and only some of the last production runs would have possibly had non-shooting cannons, but 10040 released in 2002 should have had shooting cannon's again, but mine does not (and my original 6285 does).

In most cases, you can use existing lists to be relatively safe about knowing which sets have which type… but only if they're sealed since with loose pieces you never know if a cannon has been substituted!

Shooting Cannons:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=x110c01&in=S

Shooting Cannons made Non-shooting ("transitional", with a black handle to identify them):

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=bb39&in=S

Non-shooting Cannons (single-piece mold):

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=518&in=S

I thought this was a pretty well-known thing. If you're trying to figure out here in the US if someone got a set with shooting cannons that later was distributed with non-shooting versions, I get that, but your survey needs to be changed to reflect that. For instance, grouping 6285 with the Legends re-release 10040 doesn't' make sense as 6285 definitely had shooting cannons at the start of the run and only some of the last production runs would have possibly had non-shooting cannons, but 10040 released in 2002 should have had shooting cannon's again, but mine does not (and my original 6285 does).

In most cases, you can use existing lists to be relatively safe about knowing which sets have which type… but only if they're sealed since with loose pieces you never know if a cannon has been substituted!

Shooting Cannons:

http://www.bricklink...?P=x110c01&in=S

Shooting Cannons made Non-shooting ("transitional", with a black handle to identify them):

http://www.bricklink...asp?P=bb39&in=S

Non-shooting Cannons (single-piece mold):

http://www.bricklink....asp?P=518&in=S

Thanks for the post,,,,my aim is to find out from the members what they have and not which Version has these 2 types :)....

I am doing some old classic article about the Pirates and Castles and Owners feedback is what i need!

Edited by VintageLegoEra

I voted with what my brother and I had growing up (1993 to 1998 in the U.S.). We didn't even know about shooting cannons until around 2003 when I got my hands on a bunch nearly complete sets from the first waves. I have shooters and disabled shooters from these bricks I obtained later.

Why aren't disabled shooters on the poll? Disabled shooters, and non-shooters are different.

Why aren't disabled shooters on the poll? Disabled shooters, and non-shooters are different.

Interesting!! i didnt know that till now :)...Poll Updated! and many thanks for this Info.

I have two second-hand 6271 Imperial Flagships (one without sails), one of which has the non-shooting cannons, and therefore must have been bought in the US by the previous owner. All my other ships have shooting cannons as that was the standard type in Europe. So I only have 2 non-shooting cannons in my whole collection.

And BTW, I'm curious, did Ninja and Western sets in the US also use the same version of the non-shooting cannons, i.e. with the crossed cannon pattern?

I don't really get the point of this poll. What does it matter, really?

What happens if the Barracuda we invest in prepares for battle and makes a cunning broadside on the Flagship only to find the cannons don't work? GOOD GOD MAN THERE ARE EIGHT SOULS ON BOARD. pirate_oh.gif

What happens if the Barracuda we invest in prepares for battle and makes a cunning broadside on the Flagship only to find the cannons don't work? GOOD GOD MAN THERE ARE EIGHT SOULS ON BOARD. pirate_oh.gif

hahaha....Nice one :)

Let it be noted the 6250 Crossbone Clipper was only released in Northern America and therefore had a non-shooting cannon by default, even though all box art and catalogue images depict it with a shooting cannon.

Which is even more funny considering it has a built-in shooting mechanism for its non-shooting cannon. Then again, it's Cross Bone Clipper we're talking about, the ship full of absurd.

Which is even more funny considering it has a built-in shooting mechanism for its non-shooting cannon. Then again, it's Cross Bone Clipper we're talking about, the ship full of absurd.

Strange! my 6250 is Of shooting type cannon!..:)

Was it new when you bought it? Someone might've swapped the cannon if it was a used one.

Was it new when you bought it? Someone might've swapped the cannon if it was a used one.

I cant remember but i am positve the set is new

Mix of all three. All new kits have shooters. All my kits from 89-93 had non shooters except my barracuda that had disabled shooters (black pin)

Every cannon in my collection is a shooter...unfortunately! I just never have liked them, mostly because the pin down the center of the barrel looks so weird. I realize many people (children especially) play with them but the shooting mechanism makes them more fragile. I do like the current color, though, and I can live with the shooting function. My biggest gripe with the cannons is the incredibly weak clips on the carriage/base. Attaching the barrel the very first time causes stress marks on the clips. Remove the barrel and reattach more than a time or two and the clips might come off with it. But back on topic: all shooters for me, and I have about 80.

Since I am living in Europe I only got shooting cannons. Those nonshooting ones or disabled ones are pretty rare here. Before joining AFOL Forums I didn't even know those things existed. I would like, to have at least some of those.

And of course the Crossbone Clipper, which sadly didn't make it to europe, and is ridiculously expensive, despite the fact it is a pretty lackluster kind of ship, had not that many parts... But it is a damn pirate ship. ;)

3 hours ago, jstarscomm said:

Does 10040 come with shooting cannons? Anyone know for a fact?

Welcome to the Eurobrick's @jstarscomm, I'm happy to see you in the pirate's forum, although we appreciate all questions and comments, we ask people to refrain from bumping topics that haven't been commented on in the past few years like this one, the last comment being 7 years ago. 

As for your comment, I believe that most of the old pirate sets in the U.S. came with non-shooting cannons, while the same sets in Europe and elsewhere were sold with shooting cannons but I guess it varies when it comes to 10040, as is stated above. 

Edited by Rogue Redcoat