MarkusOSX

Better building instructions than LDD ?

Hi all,

i think all of you LDD users know, that the generated builing instructions from LDD are awful.

Does anyone know a software to make better step by step building instruction than those from LDD ?

For me, a Macintosh software would be fine, but Windows will be also ok.

I found two sites for that, but nothing for LDD-files, only for LDraw.

HelperPart

LPub

Greetz

Markus

Edited by MarkusOSX

The only solution I have found until now was to use groups as building guide steps and then using a simple XLST transformation transform those groups into building guide steps.

Such building guide is saved directly into model file and LDD will use it when you switch to building guide mode. But this building guide will be preserved by the LDD only until the model is not changed. When you make any minor change in the model, automatic building guide generator in LDD will be activated and your custom steps will be overwritten, so the XLST has to be run again.

I have found LPub to be very good, but I use Bricksmith to build the models (not LDD).

Not quite the answer to your question, but worth checking out Bricksmith if you're open to changing the design program you use. It's as easy to use as LDD, you just need to watch your part / colour combinations if you intend to build a model in real life.

Edited by Kristel

What hrontos told is at the present moment the best solution.

Anyway there are other more "manual" metohsd you could use.

Take a look at the Section Index topic and look for "Instructions": you will find some topic where the subject is debated.

First of all thx to all answers.

I have found LPub to be very good, but I use Bricksmith to build the models (not LDD).

I´ve tried Bricksmith longer time ago, but found LDD better at this time.

Is it "easy" to setup an instruction with LPub / did you make ever one ?

Greetz

Markus

Is it "easy" to setup an instruction with LPub / did you make ever one ?

Hi Markus,

I find it quite easy now. There was a bit of a learning curve to start with, particularly for understanding how settings affected the output. I use it quite regularly now so that I can keep a record of my MOCs, as these tend to get dismantled soon after they are made due to a lack of space for displaying them.

The files are quite large and I am not sure how to share them online. However, I can send you a couples of pages from one I've done via email if you want to PM me.

Cheers,

Kristel

Edit: The PDF created by LPUB is quite large, but the Brickmsith and LPub files themselves are typically less than 100kb.

Edited by Kristel

5 years later.  What has changed?

I've made my models in LDD, but the instructions are still pretty awful.  Especially for me to print-off for my 4 year old.  Is there a way to import LDD into LPub?

My old suggestion is still valid:  :wink:

On 30/10/2012 at 10:46 AM, Calabar said:

Take a look at the Section Index topic and look for "Instructions": you will find some topic where the subject is debated.

Hmm.  Am I missing something?  I tried using groupings, and the step-by-step instructions didn't change.  Here's an example:

Super Simple Fridge:

1 cupboard on top of another, each with a door.

Default instructions:

- place one door on a cupboard

- place a second door on a second cupboard

- place one cupboard on top of the other.

Voila

I grouped all four pieces together (1).  Then I put the cupboards into one subgroup (a), and the doors into second subgroup (b).  To me, that means:

- Assemble one subgroup (a)

- Assemble the second subgroup (b)

- Assemble the group, using the 2 subgroups (1)

But the instructions didn't change.  Each cupboard and door was assembled together, despite the fact that they aren't grouped together. 

Am I missing something? 

I've had some success using Stud.io.
Import the LDD file into Stud.io, spend some time (re-)ordering into construction steps, and export it to LDraw .ldr file.
Then run the resultant .ldr thru LPub.

Edited by Cadder

@Torvik

Creating groups is not enough, you have to "transform" the content generated in the lxfml file and add it mannually, as explained in the hrontos's post.

Anyway this is a quite complex way to create building instructions with lxf files, you will find various options in the section index, use the one more suitable for you.