Eric J. Olson

The next evolution... ME Track

If you look at railbricks website, you will see that this is presented as a teaser. If you follow through to ME-Designs website you will see that there will be news at the end of the month... and this is to generate hype.

Currently some people speculate that the pioture means 9V track will be available in single 16L lengths - as per the old blue / grey (12V) track. This would be great for Indy Track / Narrow Gauge... possible through a new mold? (ME-Models is a custom model manufacturer, so it could be a-la-Big Bens Wheels idea).

Someone went to a lot of lengths to make new parts for the CAD drawing, so it could be true... if it is I might hold off selling some of my 9V stuff...

If new molds are generated, it would be nice to see new switch points, and indy / narrow gauge stuff as well ;-) (PLEASE).

Wow... that would be great. I haven't had time to look at the latest issue, but will have to make time.

I was thinking about how much I like these single segments to build a more "LEGO-y" style track instead of the big track pieces, and it occurred to me that then 9V wouldn't work like that...

Before I continue, for the record, I am a mostly 9V collector (I just ordered a couple of AAA battery packs and the new motors, though), but I had a lot of those 16L pieces and used them mostly for display. Now I use new track for display, but I've dabbled in mini trains and use Indy track (which is only curves) and the single pieces.

Ok, back on track... then I though, why not? Why couldn't these single pieces by molded to fit 9V? But then...

If new molds are generated, it would be nice to see new switch points, and indy / narrow gauge stuff as well ;-) (PLEASE).

I don't know how they used to do this as I've never used these kinds of pieces for a real layout, but looking at the old pieces on BL I don't see why it's not possible.

If a third party makes compatible current carrying rail, I am SO THERE, even if I've accepted using new PF stuff for the newer trains.

As eiker86 pointed out in the thread about the upcoming 3677 train set, there seem to be dark bley single tracks on its low-bed car. Hmmm... would be surprising if they'd make it just for that one car...

Interesting, cimddwc; I don't know what to make of any of this (and the ME Models link does not work for me), but the rails in the picture above have tabs; the rails on the train don't.

I could, of course, be reading too much into this, but roamingstudio's post really piques my interest.

Interesting, cimddwc; I don't know what to make of any of this (and the ME Models link does not work for me), but the rails in the picture above have tabs; the rails on the train don't.

There is an extra http:// in the link of the original post, correct link

ME Models

If a third party makes compatible current carrying rail, I am SO THERE, even if I've accepted using new PF stuff for the newer trains.

9V making a return? Third party or not, I too am SO there! :grin:

I'm slightly put off by the prospect of this news being announced on April 1 though... which doesn't mean that makes me any less eager to find out what this is all about!

On Railbricks.com, the picture shows it's a "9V Revolution", while on ME-Models.com it's "The next evolution" that "will revolutionize the train hobby as you know it." - Well, I didn't know ME-Models.com before now, but to me it sounds a little strange if LEGO should produce a special track just for this site. Does anyone know, if they use bricks made especially for ME Models?

As eiker86 pointed out in the thread about the upcoming 3677 train set, there seem to be dark bley single tracks on its low-bed car. Hmmm... would be surprising if they'd make it just for that one car...

Regarding the tracks on the car, it's really looks like one the of the old blue tracks, I have got. Just another colour... It definately has nothing to do with the tracks in use now.

But anyway, it's interesting to see what ME Models have to show at the end of March...

Actually I find this type of teaser really annoying. Is it necessary for a third party supplier to waste my time before they have news to reveal?

If they have come up with a 9V revolution they won't need this hype, the product will be very interesting in itself, if the product isn't attractive, all this hype won't save it, but will have pissed off at least part of their potential audience.

... at the end of March...

Keep in mind that end of March easly could be the beginning of April ;-]

Holger

I've been watching the site visitors counter on the ME-Models site since I saw the news of the pending "announcement" and it's been incrementing like crazy (was at 60k last week, is above 80k this week). I don't know much about ME-Models but I searched for some photos and it looks like they have been making limited-run custom train cars and engines (many of which look excellent) for several years.

I for one would love to have a pin put into the bubble that is the market pricing today on OEM 9v straight rails. $95 for a box on eBay? Crazy. If someone, anyone, was able to inject new product (current-carrying rail) at any volume into the market, that would help the 9-volters among us substantially. Hey, I might even be able to set up some cool double-track long curves in my house without needing to think about taking out a second mortgage! :laugh:

Whatever ME-Models is cooking up, I hope they announce soon. I've been going to their site daily now for some time, but am getting more and more frustrated with each visit at the lack of new information (or even any more of a "reveal"-- if they are this far down the road of design and production, do they really need to worry about someone copying their product and bringing it to market before they do?).

I will be interested to see what they release, and if it is truly current-carrying 9v rail, I'll definitely evaluate the product. I wonder how anyone but Lego can custom-manufacture studded sleepers or rail that interconnects with existing 9V rail. Doesn't that violate Lego's patents? Unless ME-Models purchased the 9V assets from Lego-- now *that* would be a coup!

Hmm... If the picture is to be believed, new individual straight track rail pieces with the "tabs" to line up/be compatible with existing Lego track pieces. In various lengths too. The only real question is do they contain metal for 9v or are they all plastic? (which can still easily have "metal hobby tape" added to make them 9v compatible anyway.) Depending how these are priced, they could be a runaway smash hit for ME Models. *oh2*

I should'nt worry about wiether its an april fools or not, give it a few years and Lego will be back to using powered track again, they've already shown they cant make their minds up and gone full circle using battery operated trains. If they wanted true use of indipentedly controlled trains they should turn to dcc.

I should'nt worry about wiether its an april fools or not, give it a few years and Lego will be back to using powered track again, they've already shown they cant make their minds up and gone full circle using battery operated trains. If they wanted true use of indipentedly controlled trains they should turn to dcc.t

I will be happy to dispel that notion...it is NOT an April Fool's joke...and I will leave you with this thought...when LEGO decides to stop producing something...there is only one reason: money.

I should'nt worry about wiether its an april fools or not, give it a few years and Lego will be back to using powered track again, they've already shown they cant make their minds up and gone full circle using battery operated trains. If they wanted true use of indipentedly controlled trains they should turn to dcc.

Getting a bit off topic, but a combination of PF and 9V precludes the need for the much more expensive DCC option... some people are already using old dead 9V motor bogeys as pick ups from 9V rail to power PF.

Getting a bit off topic, but a combination of PF and 9V precludes the need for the much more expensive DCC option...

I'd second that. LEGO and DCC doesn't sound right, considering the fact that LEGO products are, after all, aimed primarily at children, not AFOLs.

Back to the topic at hand - the sense of excitement is gradually increasing here... I don't know if this kind of advertising is really needed, but in any case it's interesting to see what the final result will be. If it has anything to do with 9V, I just hope that worldwide postage would be available :grin:

How long do we have to wait for this next evolution? a week? or months?.default_sceptic.gif

Just a thought could it be the new PF track but you could put it together like the old 12volt track, that would make a bit more sense looking at the picture and would greatly reduce the need for that flex track stuff.default_laugh_new.gif

New 9v track sounds like a great idea- especially if someone could make metal train wheels and matching pickups so that it would be possible not to have to cannibalise an old 9v motor in order to use PF.

However, for me the problem with 'L Guage' track (as made by Lego) is the sharpness of the curves. If I had the money I'd be investigating using LGB/ G Scale track with Lego trains- that way I'd have far more flexibility with track curvature and the prospect of building wider bodied trains for more realism (and the prospect of using true DCC). I know that isn't a 'pure Lego' solution- however that appears to be TLG's own way of running Lego trains outdoors at Legoland Billund.

Indeed. But as it happens that wasn't the reason for moving away from powered track. There were two reasons: production cost and American health and safety laws about toys that plug into wall sockets.

Personally I'm not too excited about shorter track pieces. Never really felt the need for those.

However, for me the problem with 'L Guage' track (as made by Lego) is the sharpness of the curves.

I know a lot of people dislike the tightness of curves produced by TLG, and I can agree on many levels, but where they are useful is in limited space. Kids generally don't have a lot of it for layouts, and a lot of AFOLs, myself included are also limited for space, so they do have their uses. Half length straights could also be useful for similar reasons, but I have my doubts about that.

Andy