To me she is His Majesty’s Sloop Blanid. Her name comes from old Irish, meaning “little flower” and references the floral decorations on her transom; which themselves are hold overs from her predecessor in my fleet. She’ll be rigged as a topsail schooner and is very much inspired by American revenue cutters of the 19th century. The configuration of her hatch gun was intended to resemble that of “Friends Goodwill” but I can’t seem to find any decent images of that system, not any longer, and had to go from memory. Historically she would most likely represent a converted merchant vessel, probably a captured prize.

20160507_012427-2_zpsa4p0rote.jpg

The building method is an attempt at a further evolution of my curved hulls. The intent is to add not only breadth curvature and tumblehome, but sheer as well. (That’s the curve along the water line which brings the focsle and quarterdeck above the waist.) There was also a lack of counter astern, of which I complained before, and ventured to better simulate by building the lower portion of the hull on two levels. (Counter is the underside curve of the hull which rises up above the water line near the rear of the ship, cause by the narrowing of the hull towards the stern post.)

20160507_023535_zpsjsvmub6p.jpg

20160507_012740_zps6c1tvkye.jpg

I’m utterly enamored with her myself so I find it hard to judge the level of my success in these efforts. I did ask for community feedback before expending so much effort on her but received little to no response. So, I forged ahead and here have a hull which is, in almost all respects, ready to be rigged.

20160507_012640_zpsqfdusowj.jpg

It should be noted that there are many “cheats” and “illegal connections”. None of this is of any concern to me. It’s not as though I am in a competition, and if you think we are, you should probably reconsider that sentiment, or at the very least, bring me into the fold. :pir_wacko: Yes the inner hull is colored with tape as well are the muttons on the skylight windows. The former is something I wanted to try for a while, seeing the only other alternative being a completely different building technique involving plates like on Bumblebee. The latter is something I did not innovate but have had used before to great success and critical approval before. The transom is held in place with “o” rings which replaced the original Lego rubber bands, they having been too weak. I tried every conceivable brick connection to no avail. As for the gun, if you’re in any way a purest, no you cannot recreate it as it requires Mega Bloks so old and out of date I wouldn’t even know where to tell you could acquire them. I’m not even sure they are Mega Blok brand, they are just the kind of junk you find mixed in with used lots of bricks from craigslist. It looks pretty neat though, doesn’t it? :pir-grin:

20160507_013259_zpswg2fxrp3.jpg

Comments, questions, concerns, it’s all good. Talk her up, please. If it’s not obvious I do enjoy talking about my works, so don’t be shy, save, perhaps where purism is concerned. What I’d most like to hear is how convincing the attempts at sheer and counter are. Really, have I pulled it off? I can’t tell after staring at her for so long, my eye sees what I want it to anymore and I just can’t trust it.

Thanks for looking!

More images available here.

Edited by kurigan

You're off to an excellent start. The rings attached to the deck are very nice (something I'll have to include in my next ship), and I like the unique pivot gun that you decided to include. I wasn't aware that older sailing ships actually included pivot guns, and you did a nice job portraying one.

The aft sheer is very convincing, but I don't think the fore sheer is very apparent. It could just be the lighting or angles on the pictures, but to me it appears that the bow is fairly flat and lacking any sheer. As for the counter, I think it looks fine, but it is somewhat hard to tell from the pictures.

As I said, you're off to a great start and I'm excited to see where this goes.

The ship looks fine - and you have already admitted some building secrets, I think that is ok.

It's not easy to get those lego things into the curved shapes that make a sailing vessel.

pirate_satisfied.gif

Really nice form for such a little ship, the amount of detail you crammed in is nice too! I also like your colour scheme, the red really stands out, though I don't really like the use of red stickers on the inside of the walls. It's a matter of personal taste I guess. The use of just plates for the decking is great too! You asked for feedback, so here are my observations:

-The bowsprit is too thick and i don't like the visible studs and gap on the keel underneath it.

-You speak of tumblehome, but I do not see any in this model, or am I mistaken?

-I think the stern is a bit too angled and should be slightly more straight up and while at it, you might try to extend the yellow strip all the way to the back.

-I don't like the green hatch, it is too obviously not attached in a proper way and the colour is just wrong. Perhaps you can use a new red or black hatch with clips and find a way to attach it.

Well I don't have any more to ''nag'' about, your models are anyway quite nice regardless of my observations. Good luck on finishing her! thumbup.gif

Not a whole lot of interest for this one it seems, so why not individualized replies?

Captain Genaro:

Thank you. Those rings and cleats are quite necessary as she’ll be getting the full rigging treatment, same as my previous ships. The SNOT deck makes the rather easy once you figure out where they’ll go. I too was skeptical about turret guns before the mid-19th century, but several sources and inspirations came to me in the last couple of years describing their use as such at least as early as the turn of that century. I first wanted to do one like this when I saw Friends Goodwill’s setup but really found inspiration when I looked in to the American Revenue Cutter Service. Though most of their cutters were large enough to support a full broad side battery many were just small as Blanid and swivels like this were a great way to give them some teeth.

You’re not mistaken, the bow portion is flat, on purpose. For one it just made the construction, on what is still an experiment, much simpler. It also is meant to simulate the wind pressing her down under sail. Without her rig in place, it may look a bit odd, but there was method to the madness.

I do see what you’re saying about the images. Perhaps I’ll have to drag her outside to some natural light for a better look.

Captain Braunsfeld:

Secrets? No, no secrets. What would be the point to sharing without full disclosure? I admit that i may not share what appears to be the common sentiment of purism, but I don’t which to dupe or trick anyone in to liking my work more for the lie.

That’s the thing, it really isn’t. It takes a bit of trial and error but ultimately getting a predictable curve is actually rather simple. I’ve tried to make that point but few if any see interested.

Captain Green Hair:

Thanks. I do try for detail. The red bright work was at first a bit of a necessity without enough brown or black, but I fell in love with it against the blue hull and tan deck right away. Yeah, it’s just an aesthetic thing, the red tape. On previous builds I didn’t mind the inside color being the same as the outside so much but this time around it just didn’t seem to work. I had the idea to do something similar with tan masking tape on Nonesuch, but decided against it there. Glad it works so well, though I only wish I could take credit for the idea.

Nag nothing, you haven’t hit on anything I’d find invalid any way. The bow sprit is just one of those things. It would be better if it were 1/3-3/4 the thickness and tapered at that, but the parts just don’t exist. I think once rigged it will blend well though. Seemed to work out on Nonesuch. As for the gap, yeah I knowingly left that wondering if it was all that noticeable. I just really wanted that octagon piece for the base and planned around it. Once it was in place I realized that to add tiles for a smoother look would raise its angle just too high. My theory, and check back to test it, is that the maze of rigging will distract from it if not outright hide the mess later.

It’s very subtle on this one being such a low freeboard but it’s there. Doesn’t actually start till about mid ship. In fact she should be a bit flared at the bow but there is only so much I can pull off at once. Take a peek at where the gunwale meets the transom and it’s more evident.

Thing about the stripe is, it’d be more colored tape. See I’m just not willing to have a gap where the transom meets the side for the sake of it. That being said, I probably will use some strips to serve the purpose later on.

The green hatch, I should have mentioned this, is just a place holder. When I started down this red path I swore I had two red shutters like the one on the coach-top astern. When the time came to get her ready for picture I could not, for the life of me, find the other red shutter. The way it’s attached, or not, is just another one of those things. I used this for the same reason on my fishing sloop, deck space is just at a premium on such a small hull with so much to cram on board. Since there is no below decks, a working hatch isn’t really necessary.

All that being said I’m not sure if I’m going to rework my hatch gun or not. At the very least the deck need to come up to accommodate ring bolts for the aiming tackle so if you or anyone has a better suggestion, I’d love to hear it. I like the look of the shutter, but I’m not too fond of the gap which forms at the top.

Thank you for that.

Edited by kurigan

I was never really satisfied with the gun arrangement I had before. It would have really cluttered the deck with block and tackle and I couldn’t find reference for a track suspended above a hatch way the way I had it. Tracks built in to the deck, yes, but not high up like that. This new system does call for a smaller hatchway but will only require 2 tackles, is more realistic and still has a great arc of fire. I've been having trouble with Photobucket lately, so I could only get a few images up. When I rearrange things or move to a better service I’ll put up more/better pictures. For the moment here’s the new setup.

20160625_005319_zpsdza0p3ef.jpg

20160625_005330_zps0jkohnyf.jpg

20160625_005343_zps8zn9tdgy.jpg

20160625_005354_zpsuoagpjfo.jpg

20160625_005454_zpspecr78fc.jpg

I also, finally put cross trees up so I can begin my rigging tutorial, but there’s apparently no space for the images.

Ok I’m weak. After telling Photobucket to go… well you get the point. I broke down and gave them $3 for more storage space so here are those crosstrees. There are also more shots of the gun now. More Images

20160625_005718_zpsoz1t3b5f.jpg

20160625_010228_zpstvgmcqxa.jpg

20160625_010238_zpsebfd7fbl.jpg

20160625_010253_zpsso9sgj9g.jpg

Feedback, please.

I think the cannon looks much better, though I did prefer the original design for the hatch, where it had a slope as opposed to being horizontal. Still, I think the improvements to the cannon outweigh this. Great job with the helmsman's cabin (not sure if that's the proper term); the roof is especially nice.

The crosstrees look alright, though in the second picture it appears that one beam is shorter than the other. Additionally, I think the 3x3 plates curved are a little too bulky. A 3x2 slope plate might look better.

Can't wait to see the rigging tutorial. I'm sure it'll be incredibly useful in my next endeavor.

That’s good feedback, I hate them too and needed someone else to as well. What I really wanted to use were 43723/43722 respectively, but I just couldn’t drum up two of each in a convenient color. It’s an old but familiar song and dance. Sorry every one I may just have to delay my tutorial once again while I find parts and rebuild, grumble-grumble. That one cross beam is shorter on the real thing too. It looks a bit awkward at the moment but once rigged won’t stand out so much.

OK ,try these on instead. no ism not a particular fan of the black but it is a common practice to paint parts of the mast likely to see the most wear. Pride of Baltimore II, my primary inspiration, has the mast head painted like this so... yeah. Essentially there isn't a very good way to do cheeks with he bits I have handy. I liked the 2905 I used on Nonesuch but I just don't have any left. This way, with just the trestle and cross trees, it may not be entirely accurate, but I can get the gaff yoke higher up the mast for a better sail shape with out making the masts and taller.

20160702_015246_zps4r4pkpbs.jpg

20160702_015233_zpsqz296meq.jpg

I also got the bowsprit mostly set and changed the unsightly configuration at the base near the prow CGH pointed out. This looks much better, and I'm glad i found the part, a 6037 instead of the 6042 I was using, to make it work.

20160702_015843_zpstz5wv0ld.jpg

And here's a comparison shot with Nonesuch in the back ground. Just for fun, gives an idea what Blanid will look like rigged since I'll be using the same sail plan.

20160702_015647_zpsaxg30jyq.jpg

More Images

lol, thanks! my ego certainly appreciates the praise, but how about something critical though? At least while she's at a stage where things can change. pirate_laugh2.gif

Very cool, as always! The big question that ravages my brain though is, how did you achieve that inside red outside blue effect? I'm absolutely puzzled.

Very cool, as always! The big question that ravages my brain though is, how did you achieve that inside red outside blue effect? I'm absolutely puzzled.

I believe thats done with the simple, although not exactly purist solution using tape:P

One question and one tiny bit that might be criticism. How have you angled these masts? Or are they just about to fall over until you reinforce them using rigging? ;)

As well as that, is that black cheeseslope on the upper part of the bowsprit the right colour? Wouldn't tan, like the other part of the bowsprit, be better fitting?

lol, thanks! my ego certainly appreciates the praise, but how about something critical though? At least while she's at a stage where things can change. pirate_laugh2.gif

Ok... um... she needs more guns, I guess pirate_tong.gif

I cheated! :devil: Legostone has the right of it. It’s colored electrical tape.

I believe thats done with the simple, although not exactly purist solution using tape:P

One question and one tiny bit that might be criticism. How have you angled these masts? Or are they just about to fall over until you reinforce them using rigging? ;)

As well as that, is that black cheeseslope on the upper part of the bowsprit the right colour? Wouldn't tan, like the other part of the bowsprit, be better fitting?

I cheat there as well. :blush: They are mounted, as on Ramcat and Nonesuch before, on a Mega Blox particularly well suited to the purpose. As pressure from the standing rigging increases friction increases inside the part and it holds it position. Before then I have infinite degrees of possibility all while keeping the base of the mast above the axis and, therefore the hole made in the deck for it. I tried so many Lego brand solutions, but none had both the ability to bent to any angle and hold fast once in place. Right now they slop around a bit and I pay only so much attention to that, until they fall over and scatter round bricks to the four winds. The rigging will be set to hold both masts at a rake. Less so on the fore than the main.

As for the cheese slope, yes. I can’t find a clear picture of one, not even in my own catalog to illustrate what it’s supposed to represent. In actuality it’s a wedge mortised into the bow sprit against which the base of the jib boom rests. Being part of the sprit it’s painted with that member. The jib boom, like a top mast is somewhat disposable, and may be a different finish. In this case “black paint” versus “bare wood”.

Ok... um... she needs more guns, I guess pirate_tong.gif

And ruin her looks by piercing her sides, I think not! :wink: Besides, how big and how many guns could I really cram on deck any way, a couple 3-4 pounders a side? Even if it’s just a 9 pounder, that single long gun on a swivel makes up a lot of teeth. Without the rigging in place I’m guessing at about a 70 degree arc of fire to either side. That means she can deliver her shot with extreme prejudice with far less concern for her position relative to the enemy than most any other ships. Perhaps it looks less impressive than a full broadside but underestimating her could be a die mistake. :devil_laugh:

You asked for criticism, that's all I could come up with. You know a whole lot more about these things than I do, and I think the ship looks great so far.

Just another small detail. I worked on the coach top skylight and companion way assembly. I was never entirely satisfied and once it was pointed out I couldn’t force myself to accept it anymore; so here’s the new one. Still imperfect but still a lot better.

edit: now showing a new version, dropped by one plate, looks even better.

20160714_002439_zpscotaoc7t.jpg

20160714_002518_zpslrx8z4cz.jpg

20160714_002541_zpshqpczv2v.jpg

20160714_002550_zps0g8tyhj0.jpg

I also did some work to the bowsprit which will be unappreciable until the standing rigging is started, but edging closer to ready for that step.

I really like how this is coming together, very creative work on the masts and the bowsprit and bow now look much better! The red hatches to access below are also neat and I like the little house it is attached to. I agree about the guns, perhaps some swivel guns are a nice addition?

-I don't like the green hatch, it is too obviously not attached in a proper way and the colour is just wrong. Perhaps you can use a new red or black hatch with clips and find a way to attach it.

I'm glad you pushed me to reconsider it. I was disappointed when I had to shrink the fore hatch and loose that companionway to accommodate the gun, but the new version aft makes up for it. Look, I can even hint at the mini-fig crew using it, even though we all know their arms won't actually fit. :pir-grin:

Anyone have an opinion or suggestion in this new or the old tiller? The rudder head where it attaches is a 44302. I just don’t know if either version is all that convincing or appealing, but the tiny quarterdeck means I can’t fit a whole lot in there. Don’t want the captain coming on deck only to get knocked out by a swinging tiller. :pir_wacko:

FYI everyone. That windowed structure on the quarter deck is just a skylight for the great cabin below. I took a queue from Lynx which has a similarly high housing over the fore hatch. At first I thought I was a bit odd for a man-of-war, but in time saw the value in the tall windows and noted that there was still plenty of room to work the guns. I figure, if Blanid hadn’t been fitted with her one big gun, there would have been another such housing over the waist like lynx. Here’s a picture of the inspiration.

I always push the limit, the purist way haha!

I think the tiller looks fine, a stud space is enough to stand free right? Did you use a 3 or 4l bar for it? Otherwise a 3 might save you another stud.