3D printers are really hot these days. Market value of companies producing such devices is going sky high and new achievements are hitting the news regularly. Examples range from printing a working gun to attempts to print an tasty pizza. It makes one think of the 'replicator' all of the Star Trek fans have known for many years.

When it comes to our hobby, LEGO, I wonder how this evolution will reshape things in the coming years. There are already injection moulded after market parts (BrickForge, Brickarms, etc.), but what if the quality of 3D printers gets good enough for anyone to just make their own parts? That SNOT connector LEGO just doesn't make? No problem, I'll just print one. A new Roman helmet variant? Here it comes. The sky could be the limit: Just imagine... and next print it. I can imagine a time when people are sharing their designs in digital format for anyone to download and print at home. More indexing work for our staff but no more shipping needed, just download the file and print the piece in your own home.

Are you excited? We'd love your opinion!

I'd love to own a 3D printer. I'd say some of the easiest and best things to make would be minifigure accessories. You could make unique lightsabers for SW characters, etc.

Thought about making a topic like this myself, they've already discussed how in the future 3D pirating would be an issue for companies. People 3D printing anything they want, such as toys, guns, utensils, cars etc...

When the technology becomes cheaper people in the LEGO community will probably be able to print out whole LEGO sets. And, other companies like Brickarms will be moot since people can make their own weapons.

With 3D printing I imagine it'll be harder for collectors to get older authentic LEGO sets. Since another person can just make a fake. Being more optimistic, it'd be nice to be able to share builds as a community and printing out a MOC you see on flickr to further inspect and and enjoy it.

However, I can only see this as a slow disintegration of LEGO as a company because their product will become obsolete as people can just make whatever they want. I mean, if a person wants a Star Trek theme and LEGO doesn't have it, why would they go out and buy a Galaxy Squad set when they can print out whatever they want at home. Or, even pay money at all when they can get it for free.

I'll happily download whole LEGO sets for free if, when the technology is more readily available and cheaper, I still participate in the hobby.

I think that the development of 3D printing is very interesting but, even if the technology and the quality is good enough, I would never use one to manufacture my own LEGO pieces. This is for two main reasons:

1. I only use genuine and un-modified LEGO parts so would not use my own manufactured parts the same as I won't use Megabloks, Brickarms, etc. I am a LEGO collector and modeller and not a building block collector and modeller.

2. Part of the challenge of modelling with LEGO is working with the parts that are available and getting them to work how you want them to. Being able to create parts at a whim or when you are stuck would almost be cheating.

Cheers

Rog

This does sound like an interesting idea, but how would this affect The Lego Group? They would have to put some sort of piracy law into place, a bit like illegal film and media distribution laws. Or maybe these printers are limited only to big companies like Lego?

Edited by Lance

Such technology is now being taught at some Australian high schools, but I don't see for the short term everyone buying a 3-D printer and making parts......I doubt the 3-D part would have the same material and mechanical stats as the real part.

What if there comes a time when it allows you to make ALL your pieces? You use a LDD-like tool and it prints all the pieces you need to build it. I think at least clone quality will be accomplished eventually.

well, for now, 3D printer isn't affordable for personal use, as it is still very expensive, be it the machine itself, or the plastic mould. and, even if they get so cheap in the future that everybody could buy one, there is still the copyright issue.

after reading this article i think we are awhile away yet... http://gizmodo.com/w...it-fo-508176750

Hey, thanks for that article, a lot of things in there I did not know.

Yeah, I can see some use for Lego enthousiasts in 3d printing, printing one rare, expensive part or simply a part that does not exist.

I don't really understand the copyright problem other people mentioned, the lego brick isn't copyrighted anymore, and if people want to share complete 3d-printable sets on the Piratebay I don't expect the Lego company will be able to stop that. But the quality of these homemade sets will be rubbish, of course.

However, I can only see this as a slow disintegration of LEGO as a company because their product will become obsolete as people can just make whatever they want.

I do not agree.

Consideration 1: 2d printers are everywhere since 30 years, this has not killed books' market.

Like people like to buy CDs Videogames and books though they can "copy" them, people will buy Lego even if they can print them.

So there's no need to worry about people "pirating" lego sets in their own houses.

Consideration 2: there's plenty of people who disregard stuff like brickarms or the like.

I am one, I myself find customization just an unnecessary thing.

I mean, I already disccused this in another topic, I don't like customization for two reasons : A) that's not lego B) lego is not intended to produce war toys

So this will affect only a slice of the market.

Consideration 3: IF you can print your bricks, LEGO will be able to do it for LESS. Try to print a book, get how much it costs to you among printer use, ink and paper, and then you buy the book! I think you will be able to print a set, but that would always cost you more than buying it.

Consideration 4: Are you sure that you will get quality at LEGO level? I mean, people keep on complaining about chinese LEGO products, expecially on collectible minifigures, how cheaper would the quality be if you print them at home?

I think that printing will be used only for 2 reasons:

1) Replacing some parts that maybe will cost you less than buying them on ebay or bricklink. Say: a part is only made in a set in that color? I print it. (but you would need that very color!)

2) Creating parts that do not exist. Like brickarms does.

Just that.

As an industrial designer, I have to tell you that I see the world differently now that I think with 3D printing and yet I am sure I am far from being able to imagine what it will be with 3D printing available to the masses.

In terms of Lego, I think that even though the possibilities are incredible, the build quality will take time, really. Because the materials are not ready yet for 3D printing and we don't know how they react over 5, 10, 30 years.

But yes, it's definitely something I am looking forward to. For example, I am dreaming of some sets made of funny materials like ceramics (so minimal and elegant :-) ) or wood composites (warm and raw :-) ) !

Edited by leoparder

I do not agree.

Consideration 1: 2d printers are everywhere since 30 years, this has not killed books' market.

Like people like to buy CDs Videogames and books though they can "copy" them, people will buy Lego even if they can print them.

So there's no need to worry about people "pirating" lego sets in their own houses.

Consideration 2: there's plenty of people who disregard stuff like brickarms or the like.

I am one, I myself find customization just an unnecessary thing.

I mean, I already disccused this in another topic, I don't like customization for two reasons : A) that's not lego B) lego is not intended to produce war toys

So this will affect only a slice of the market.

Consideration 3: IF you can print your bricks, LEGO will be able to do it for LESS. Try to print a book, get how much it costs to you among printer use, ink and paper, and then you buy the book! I think you will be able to print a set, but that would always cost you more than buying it.

Consideration 4: Are you sure that you will get quality at LEGO level? I mean, people keep on complaining about chinese LEGO products, expecially on collectible minifigures, how cheaper would the quality be if you print them at home?

I think that printing will be used only for 2 reasons:

1) Replacing some parts that maybe will cost you less than buying them on ebay or bricklink. Say: a part is only made in a set in that color? I print it. (but you would need that very color!)

2) Creating parts that do not exist. Like brickarms does.

Just that.

1) Very true about books, but it's a hassle to print out pages to read. So you're point is valid. However, books and bookstores are taking a hit because of E-Books now. Though, I prefer a book myself.

2) Without LEGO as a company, there'd be no standard as to what's LEGO and what isn't Though, same goes for art and music. I see LEGO as an art medium. I guess it'll just go down to the individual as to what ethics (or code) they'll choose to use.

3) Another good point, LEGO could do it for less with the box and the complete set as a whole. It depends what kind of collector you are, personally I don't care about the boxes or manuals so just the set is what I'd want.

4) It stands to reason that you'd be able to choose the quality of the plastic used in your 3D printer, same as you can choose ink now. Unless companies want to embargo better quality plastic, and monopolize it. :hmpf_bad:

This does sound like an interesting idea, but how would this affect The Lego Group? They would have to put some sort of piracy law into place, a bit like illegal film and media distribution laws. Or maybe these printers are limited only to big companies like Lego?

Because those laws work so well :laugh:

Limiting technology only to companies is sort of, fascist (probably not the right word) but I think you get my point.

Also, lest we forget now Medicine is researching into 3D printed organs! This is incredible for so many people :sweet: Off topic from LEGO, but it's relevant in the great scheme of things. :thumbup:

I don't see this as the downfall of Lego. Even if printers come down in price so that it's affordable for the general consumer, I'd have to believe that it would still be expensive to print out any Lego set with a reasonable part count. Lego has economies of scale going for it. It can buy raw materials (plastic) in bulk. A set that Lego sells for $50 might cost $100 to print on a 3d printer at home. So I don't see this as affecting the *new* Lego market. However, as mentioned above, I can see it affecting the secondary market by producing bootleg versions of popular retired sets. Since these go for 3 or 4 times the original selling price, it would be cost effective to print it out, and sell it as genuine.

I will really dislike once this era comes (of printers)

Its already annoying seeing KREo and similar stuff being sold and mixed in LEGO bulks, after that bulks will be pain in the *** sorting and checking everyp iece ofr LEGO mark ...

I know someone with a 3D-printer, and though he's tried printing out LEGO, it's come out pretty poor quality.

Edit:

Here a Lego Desinger uses 3d printer.

Very interesting, thanks. As the video shows, industrial 3D printing is very useful for prototyping parts which will be manufactured through more appropriate methods in the end.

Home 3D printing of quality LEGO bricks, to the tolerances and prices TLG specifies, is a very long ways away, if it is even ever possible.

The home enthusiast would not have testing and experienced quality control staff to go along with their 3D printer, so I can only imagine the stacking errors you would get with a set like the Super Star Destroyer.

Edited by GregoryBrick

The quality is not good enough at the moment, but it is becoming better. I have a good relation with two FabLabs (for my job as a teacher in Informatics). Resin with UV curing has the best resolution at this moment, but of course the ABS printers match the material best.

well i guess we can all dream about producing parts on our own, however, 3D parts would probably not be compatible with the actual Lego bricks in terms of size and colors. they would most likely not fit very well to real Lego bricks and I'm not so sure about the longevity of the parts as a toy in the hands of small children. Lego has a very complex and expensive production process, it seems highly unlikely that they'll lose their customers because of 3D printing... so i'll stick to Lego for the time being.

But, i do think it may be an opportunity for the company to expand their business at some point, when the technology has matured...

Considering the price, I doubt this will become a serious issue for another few years. However, when it does, I believe people will still buy from LEGO. This might simple be because of higher quality plastic or because most people will prefer to simply buy the better builds that LEGO makes, as a lot of people out there are absolutely incapable of making high-quality MOCs. Concerning the second option, people might simply buy one-print-only designs (ie, the file will delete itself after it's been used) from LEGO.

If this eventually becomes easily available, I'd probably limit myself to a few simple designs that always seem to get in the way of complex builds or some recolors, and just a few of them, anyway. I wouldn't, say, print out three hundred bricks just for one project.

Edited by DraikNova

I agree with many here. I don't see it hurting LEGO at all, let alone anytime in the near future.

Essentially you need the same color dyes to match LEGO bricks already. Plus, as stated TLG can buy/sell in bulk so they make up their costs and then some. For one person to make a single part or set, they won't have that luxury, so it will add up for the individual consumer. To use book printing in the same way, from what I've read about LOTR, it is ONE book divided into three books because it was cheaper to print it that way. Plus they were able to make more money by doing that also. But it technically is one book. What that has to do with this is simple: To sell a book in separate parts is cheaper for them in the long run because they can spread everything out. For me to make one dark blue arch isn't very cost effective and I might as well buy the piece from a seller.

I don't fully understand how 3D printing works since they can somehow create food and organs and anything really. But I'm sure it will create issues for toy companies eventually, but I think only slightly, if at all.

3D printing is more of a threat to the more traditional glued and painted plastic modelling community. Imagine being able to download, modify and print designs for Warhammer space marines or ships instead of paying $5-10 per model and still have to glue it all together. But replacing 10c pieces that require precision mold machining to create parts with clutch power? I don't see it.

Though I could certainly see people doing custom weapons, window frames, cockpits, and other specialized elements. But I think it would more likely just force Lego to up their creativity.

if you are purist, you probably wouldn't want or need a 3D printer. i believe using genuine Lego bricks and parts is what makes it fun and challenging.