Sign in to follow this  
remrem

Need help: Exporting minifig parts from LDD to LDraw

Hi there!

I'm currently trying to do some scenes with Hobbit minifigs in Blender. However, when I export the part I need (dwarves' beards and elven hair) from LDD to LDraw I get nothing. The imported file seems to be empty.

Are those minifigs parts available in LDraw? Or is there any way to get them from LDD to a format that Blender can import?

Thanks for your help!

The export function convert the lxfml format in another format, but geometries are proprietary and are not exported: the geometries are contained in LDD and not in the lxf file.

Note that the export function is based on an xml file, and if you want to obtain a decent conversion, you should download the last LDraw.xml file from here.

Anyway, if you search in this section, you will find various topics related to renders done with Blender or other software.

The way I remember it working is that LDD and LDraw use different part IDs for some elements. Ones that aren't the same will need to be manually converted by editing the LDraw file in notepad or something similar.

The normal way of exporting a LDD model to LDraw (using file > export) just matches the LDD bricks with the LDraw bricks and thus, if the LDraw version of the brick doesn't exist, you don't see it.

There is a way to export the brick data to a .dat (LDraw part) file, but you get rough exports (although you can work with them). That method is often used by LDraw part authors to get a base file for LDraw parts (mostly for difficult shaped parts like minifig parts, or for example a dragon head). I don't exactly know how that's done, I belief it has something to do with 3d screen capturing, but I'm not sure.

Sorry I posted by mistake in this topic.

Anyway the method legolijntje is about has been explained here

Edited by marco9999

Hello everyone!

A bit late but better now than never: finally an update.

Here is the Hobbit trailer I remade in 3D with Minifigs.

I used Blender and Cinema 4D, After Effects for the snow and Pemiere for the video editing. I made the last bit of editing at home with windows movie maker and it messed up the quality so I will probabyl upload a better version later this week.