UPDATE:

Rebrickable truck chassis

Rebrickable dump bed attachment

Truck chassis instructions

Dump bed attachment instructions

Hi!

I want to present my latest MOC, a 6x6 Offroad type European style truck with PF. I have been working on this longer than any previous MOC, slowly improving and perfecting things here and there, and can finally say I am finished with the base model! Oh, and also, the instructions took quite a while to perfect! :blush:

Firstly I want to say thank you to Alasdair Ryan, Efferman and Blakbird for reviewing my instructions and providing valuable feedback! Special thanks to Alasdair for helping me with some LPub issues I couldn't figure out on my own! :thumbup:

So, a little introduction:

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

The idea behind this MOC is to make a sturdy and powerful PF chassis with advanced drivetrain and suspension on all axles. Further I wanted it to be highly adaptable when it comes to equipment to be placed on the back of it, thereby providing people with a good chassis onto which they can mount their own MOCs, and allowing myself the time to develop and publish different implementations to the model in the future.

The features of the model are:

-6x6 drivetrain powered by two XL motors

-Steering via a worm gear, powered by one M motor

-Lockable central differential (manual)

-Live axle suspension on all three axles

-PF "Expansion Bay" to easily integrate up to two more remote controlled PF motors

-Working V8 engine

Non technical features:

-Rack to mount a 9V/AAA/LiPo batterybox in the cabin (for lights, etc)

-Openable doors

-Lower steps for the crew pivot up if hitting an obstacle

-Tiltable cabin

-Semi-detailed interior (including gear stick, coffee cups and some instruments)

-Manual winch in the front

For a lot of WIP photos, renders and high res pictures of the finished model, please visit the appropriate BrickSafe folder

Firstly I'll show you a couple of pictures of the internals:

640x342.jpg

640x342.jpg

The final gear ration result in a fairly low speed, but tons of torque (maybe a little too much, as some U-joints have experienced).

Due to the high torque, I saw myself forced to modify the central differential, as I wanted the truck to have some actual offroad capabilities. Let it be known though, that for driving on the floor (both wooden and carpet) this is not necessary at all.

640x360.jpg

Then some more actual pictures of the physical model

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

In the above picture you can see the small 9V batterybox I placed in the cabin to provide power for the blinking roof lights. Also some of the way too long wiring I had to use, as I don't have short ones.

640x360.jpg

There are certain differences to my model compared to the one in the instructions, most notably the rear lights and the roof of the cabin. This is due to me lacking the proper pieces, so it looks a little bit off in the pictures.

640x360.jpg

The obligatory underside shot. Here you can see most of the mechanical side of the drivetrain

640x360.jpg

It's a bit difficult to get good pictures of the suspension working.. :blush:

640x360.jpg

The PF Expansion Bay. As you can see the two channels are free, and there is room for a lot of wiring.

You can also see the dual white clutch gears used for the steering. It makes it powerful and fast, while still preventing the M-motor from stalling.

640x360.jpg

On the other side is the space taken by the lever to engage the diff lock. I originally had an RC function for this, but it turned out a little unreliable due to the M-motor driving itself back a little after stalling. Also, it took up unnecessary space.

640x360.jpg

Shot of the driver's side interior of the cabin.

640x360.jpg

The cabin tilts forward to allow access to the batterybox...

640x360.jpg

Which can then easily be removed. Here you can also see the V8 and the "fake gearbox" with shift lever and cup holder :sweet:

640x360.jpg

A shot of the rear of the vehicle, meant to show the available space for additions.

Okay, that about sums it up.

A couple of notes:

I initally wanted to have independent front suspension, but this, together with a lockable central diff took up way too much space.

Designing the front axle was a real pain, as it had to be very low to not interfere with the engine. This meant the steering motor had to be placed on the chassis. I first tried to use the servo motor, but it took up too much room. The solution I ended up with is as good as it gets given the parameters I had to work with, although it does have a little slack :sceptic: But it works great! :thumbup:

Like I said This is supposed to be a modular build, and I am in the process of developing said modules now.

Firstly is a picture of three different LA systems that are all more or less "drop in" additions to the model (you need to remove some of the transverse 7L axles seen in the above picture).

640x360.jpg

The one to the left is used for a side tipping bed, which you can see in the next picture. The other two are to be used with for example standard tipping beds or other modules

640x360.jpg

This is a WIP side tipping bed, using the two small LA setup shown above. It is a bit short maybe, but that is to give room for a rear attachment, like a Palfinger style crane, or a material handler claw, like in the picture below:

640x360.jpg

As you can probably see, this is just a modified version of the Unimog 8110 crane, but with a claw (a la 42006) and an extendable boom. It is manual.

EDIT: Also; yay or nay regarding the stickers (from 42025) on the cabin in the above picture?

I am also going to make a compressor unit that can fit underneath the bed at the cost of the tipping function.

Lastly, here is a taste of the instructions, which you can download here

800x450.jpg

It is currently pending approval at Rebrickable (posted last night, so should hopefully not be too long).

In the mean time, here is the parts list

And here is the LDD model for those interested (a couple of pieces couldn't be properly attached)

So thanks for taking the time to read all this, I hope you like the model, and that some of you will be building it yourselves. If you do, please come back here and post your impressions, along with a picture or two of your build! :wink:

As always, comments, criticism etc etc are very welcome :sweet:

EDIT 2: The truck is built in white in the instructions, so most white parts can be substituted for any other colour. Also, as I note in the introduction of the instructions, most LBG and DBG thin and normal liftarms are used in the chassis, and can be substituted for other colours. The colours are used to make the instructions as clear as possible

Edited by D3K

Going to be built! Great work and really looking forward to all the attachments people and you will add to it :)

Great truck,I look forward to seeing some cool beds for it. :classic:

Special thanks to Alasdair for helping me with some LPub issues I couldn't figure out on my own! :thumbup:

It was a pleasure helping. :classic:

Wow... glorious! So many functions and options for more functions. Really awesome.

Great work.

Nice to see this finished. I like it with the tipping bed, bu tIMO I don't really like the 42025 stickers

Cool model! Also really nice to share instructions. I'm busy learning to master mlcad and lpub and I know this is a lot of work.

And what a coincidence. I'm building your tipper truck at the moment using the lxf file and now the instructions (almost the same base truck, on my first impression) are available. The same happened to me with your swing loader. I finished the loader using the lxf file and then appeared the instructions.

Guess this just means that I like your models so much that I don't want to wait for instructions :-).

Cheers,

Robert

Another must-build MOC on my list... *sigh*

Where do I get all those parts? And the time?

Haha I'll have to check the parts list when it is made public

Haha @darksheep I'll have to check the parts list when it is made public

Edited by dougstar

Love it.... looking at my models to see if I have enough parts.... going to maybe have to make it!

I don't do that for any model you know... it has to be special...

Thanks D3k, it's just what I need! I especially like the side tip and crane, especially as I can put the crane from the unimog straight into it. I wonder, have you considered making a trailer for it? Either a low loader for a digger or a tipping trailer etc?

I'm really glad that you guys seem to like it, thanks a lot!

And most interest of your hook lift system

Yeah, I had almost forgotten about that! Will post a file of that soon! Like I mentioned earlier, the system is best suited for a slightly lower model, without suspension like this, so I won't be making it for this MOC at first..

Cool model! Also really nice to share instructions. I'm busy learning to master mlcad and lpub and I know this is a lot of work.

And what a coincidence. I'm building your tipper truck at the moment using the lxf file and now the instructions (almost the same base truck, on my first impression) are available. The same happened to me with your swing loader. I finished the loader using the lxf file and then appeared the instructions.

Guess this just means that I like your models so much that I don't want to wait for instructions :-).

Yeah, it is very time consuming, but in the end worth it when you get it right!

Glad to hear you like my models, how's the tipper truck coming along?

Another must-build MOC on my list... *sigh*

Where do I get all those parts? And the time?

I tried to use as few uncommon parts as possible, in fact I can't think of a single part that's concidered hard to get in the inventory.

Love it.... looking at my models to see if I have enough parts.... going to maybe have to make it!

I don't do that for any model you know... it has to be special...

Thanks! Good luck! :classic:

Thanks D3k, it's just what I need! I especially like the side tip and crane, especially as I can put the crane from the unimog straight into it. I wonder, have you considered making a trailer for it? Either a low loader for a digger or a tipping trailer etc?

Glad you like it! If you want to attach the crane straight from the unimog, you only have to modify the outriggers I think, as well as make some kind of manual pump and turning mechanism.. Like I said regarding the crane in the picture, it has an added pneumatic circuit for the boom extension, but it is also modified with a crank to turn the crane from the back. Also, the cabin on the side.

I think I might make instructions for a standard tpping bed first, as it's a quite simple and straightforward mod :classic:

@D3k, sounds good to me. Did you include the side tipping bed in the current release of the instructions? Any idea when we can be seeing the instructions for the tipping bed wether it be side tip or standard rear tip? Thanks again

Great MOC, as always. And thank you very much for sharing the instructions. Very clear and high quality,respect. Hope that I can build it soon :classic:

Greetings

Alex

What a compact masterpiece! Too bad about the central diff, but you cant have everything.

I'm gonna check your LDD file if I can attach stuff :wink:

I love the coffee mug :laugh:

Okay here's what i fixed/changed:

- I attached the bumper piece

- I attached the roof curve pieces

- attached the engine cover

- lowered the cofee machine as close to the rightfull place as possible

- grouped the cabin, so it can be hidden/moved to reveal the engine

You can find the updated file here:

http://www.bricksafe.com/files/Zblj/Lego%20digital%20designer%20models/6x6%20BOM%20model.lxf