33 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_101_23_281.gif

My third and Final review of today is the final planet set in series 1 9676 TIE Interceptor & Death Star.

The set again looks very good in the packaging with the Death Star's lazer looking out at you. Worth noting is that this set has no planet printing, all the detail is molded.

img_4887.jpg

img_4888.jpg

img_4889.jpg

Just 2 bags in this and not as many parts but they are larger parts.

img_4890.jpg

As I said earlier there is no printing on the Death Star just molding. Of course you also get two different parts, you would not your DS to have 2 giant lazers would you! :laugh:

img_4893.jpg

The instructions. Some nice techniques to make the main hull look round.

img_4896.jpg

The Tie pilot fig has the new face printed black head.

img_4900.jpg

2 printed parts in this set. The TIE window is a great new part!

img_4902.jpg

A good mini build and the hull looks good for a small round ball.

img_4904.jpg

img_4909.jpg

The finished mini TIE looks good. Much better than the last one, which was quite some time ago now.

img_4910.jpg

img_4912.jpg

The stand is the same as the Naboo one.

img_4914.jpg

The finished display.

img_4915.jpg

The Death Star! Lego movie makers are going to love this.

img_4917.jpg

The 2 parts don't lock all the way together so you get the gap around the DS equator.

img_4918.jpg

Left over parts with the hanging piece.

img_4919.jpg

The whole set.

img_4921.jpg

This was probably my most anticipated set of the planet line and it is very good. The Death Star mold is perfect and will end up hanging from christmas trees everywhere next year !

The mini Tie is a nice looking set and we finaly can get a TIE pilot in a cheap set. Well worth the £10.

That looks fantastic thank you. Can't wait to get one. I wish there was a hole so you could use a green light saber blade as a laser for the DS.

Thanks for the review it looks great. I think the death star mold is worth the $10 by itself. I'll definitely be getting all of this series.

I was excited to pick up this set, thinking it that Lego had moved to the TIE pilot in the Defender set. I suppose this fig is more accurate. :sad: Thanks for the review, I guess I will be skipping this one.

Pointless set - a hollow plastic ball and a common minifig?

Why would a casual fan buy this when a battle pack is damn near the same price for much more?

I compare this set with year's battle packs, and the BPs don't seem too exciting. Their vehicles are rather in comparison to this mini TIE. There are four figures but in fact, this minifig is not that common. I think this might be the least expensive set to come with a dark helmet trooper thingie.

The death Star (which besides of being a hollow ball has texture that makes it easily recognizable as a death star) is probably going to be great for vignette MoCs.

The packaging concerns me, I don't really want the DS to be exposed to the elements like that :/

Edited by vexorian

Pointless set - a hollow plastic ball and a common minifig?

Why would a casual fan buy this when a battle pack is damn near the same price for much more?

Maybe bacause these are a one of a kind..Just like any collector they would want it for that reason... That's why i bought 1 of each...9.99 is not bad for these imo. :classic::thumbup:

Great review BTW..

Thanks for the review, this is a set I will get for sure!

Very nice little set and that new cockpit piece is a must-have!

Even though the cockpit piece is great I actually think the back of the Interceptor looks even better than the front.

I like this one the best, mainly because I can already see myself putting that death start up on my tree next year for sure

And the printed tie window is REALLY nice, brings a lot of life to the mini that was missting from previous tie minis

The pilot, ship and of course the Death Star....imagine that on my Christmas tree later in the year :laugh: ....are huge winners ! :grin:

Thanks for this review ' mutley777 ', though the Interceptor is not really canon for the first Death Star...it's a solid build I like it ! :grin:

I find the DS mold disappointing. Not only does it not have any print, but it also could have had a hollow stud in the center of the eye for attaching a death ray, like Solscud007 said, considering that they made a special mold for this. The printing on the TIE's windscreen and the pilot's head make up for it though, and I look forward to getting these planet sets!

It's a good average set in my opinion. The death star would have looked a lot better if it was half built rather than complete meaning that around a quarter of the globe could have been molded with jagged edges.

I was tempted to get this for the TIE pilot Minifigure, but I think I shall pass after getting one in the Advent Calendar on clearance. I can't justify $10 for just a variation on a figure I already have.

Doesn't look that great, the printed cockpit piece will be great for mini TIE MOCs

Thank you for the review! :classic:

Out of the 3 planets the death star is the most uninspiring, at a distance it just looks like a grey ball, no detailing at all, figure and tie look good though, thx again for the review mutley

2 printed parts in this set. The TIE window is a great new part!

It looks like five printed parts to me. I gather you weren't counting the minifigure elements, most of which are printed parts.

I'm very enthusiastic about this set. I'm totally jonesing for an inexpensive means of getting TIE pilots, and I do like the Death Star elements, limited uses though they may have. I'll probably get multiples of this set.

Hmm. Though the Death Star does have moulded lines, it still looks very odd without print. If the lines were printed on as well as moulded, it'd look really good.

I agree, the laser is a real missed opportunity. The Death Star doesn't look complete without a hole at the centre of the firing array.

Oh well, I suppose if you buy lots of these, you'd get some really great Christmas ornaments. :classic:

Thanks for the review. I think the Interceptor is the best of the three, due to it's useful parts (for me at least) and the useful printed piece. The Death Star would be better with printing indeed, but oh well, I can live with this too. :classic:

I find the DS mold disappointing. Not only does it not have any print, but it also could have had a hollow stud in the center of the eye for attaching a death ray, like Solscud007 said, considering that they made a special mold for this. The printing on the TIE's windscreen and the pilot's head make up for it though, and I look forward to getting these planet sets!

Keep in mind that molds with additional details can be expensive to make, especially if they involve sliders (i.e. parts of the mold other than the two main halves to add detail at different angles). In this case, the new Death Star's top could perhaps have been molded with a simple two-piece mold, which would be far less expensive to produce and install.

Anyway, this is a cool set, even though I don't expect to buy any since I'm not a Star Wars collector. The printed windscreen for the TIE is very stylish, as is the Death Star mold. Personally, I don't feel the Death Star molds need printing; the contours are enough to make a quite striking resemblance.

Thanks for the review mutley777 :thumbup: .

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. The printed windscreen is nice but I'm not overly impressed with the Tie Interceptor - just another mini-Tie with a square-ish cockpit :sceptic: . But for parts, the minifig and of course the Death Star :wub: - I think this is easily worth a tenner. If these end up on sale I'll probably pick up more than one, and who knows with a bit of experimentation, maybe a little drilling, maybe a little gluing it could be possible to fit a super-laser.

Does anybody know how long these will be available for? ie Is series 1 deleted as soon as series 2 comes out?