Sign in to follow this  
Lucifer Adams

MOC: LEGO Movie CMF Display Stand (Collectable Minifigures)

Hi everyone!

After some very kind words from users here in regards to my large black (but a bit boring) CMF Display Stand (HERE), I wanted to share with you the display stand I made for the LEGO Movie CMF figures.

14691553393_b37e2b39cf_z.jpg

There was no question for me that the Movie minifigures should get their own stand, since they are not part of the main CMF lineup (remember when these were rumoured to be Series 12?). So with that in mind, I had decide on how to display them. Using the amazing LEGO Movie logo was a no-brainer!

14485008149_c2049ee878_z.jpg

The 'THE' is my favourite part of the logo!

14671661855_3ddb57f04f_z.jpg

The logo is a separate unit to the minifigure stands and looks really effective as a MOC when displayed on its own.

14668455871_8b14cdfd10_z.jpg

The yellow and black tiles that you can see at the front and back of the logo are part of a support plate structure that prevents the logo from overbalancing and tipping forward or backwards.

14691553853_ac9e388260_z.jpg

The logo was the easy bit compared to the rest of this MOC. I had a lot of trouble thinking of a way to display the Minifigures around the logo and what I kept coming back to was the 'construction' theme of the movie and of the posters in particular. So with that in mind, I went with the idea of scaffolding and made a kind of scaffolding framework that would stand underneath the logo and curl around it.

14485008439_fb47863f4b_z.jpg

The scaffolding uses 304 of the 'Light Sword / Wand' parts in light bluish gray.

14669345084_70505c5904_z.jpg

Getting each of the eight stands to be identical in size and shape required very careful and precise use of a pair of pliers (suitably padded) to insert each wand to the correct depth. Pushing one wand in too deep or not enough would alter the shape of the individual stand. I learnt this early on when my second stand was a different size to my first. I had to scrap them both and start again, using a larger frame made of plates that fit around the stand, making sure the insertion depth was consistent between stands.

14484989300_b48dc0a156_z.jpg

As I did on my previous CMF stand, I printed out custom stickers with the character's name and applied them to 1x4 white tiles to act as nameplates.

14485201597_5967792646_c.jpg

Thanks for looking! You can view the full album on Flickr HERE.

Edited by Lucifer Adams

Wooow, this is pure awesomeness ! Love the stand, it looks amazing and congrats for building it ! :thumbup:

Wow! I like that you chose to design the individual stands to look like scaffolding. And the logo is great! :sweet::thumbup:

That has to be the best display stand for figures I've ever seen. I tip my hat to you, sir!

Ghehe! That's brilliant!

Keep clicking those bricks together!

Simply put, that is perfect!

Somehow you managed to build a massive stand, something to really catch the eye and not overshadow the figures. That seems like a difficult thing to do.

Bravo, nuff said. But if I need to say more...this is simply amazing!

I was a real fan of your 'normal' CMF display stand, but...THIS. Wow! That belongs in a LEGO museum!