I'm happy to present to you my first modular building. I have put it on Ideas too, so if you like it, please support: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/106103.

edit:

It is now available on Rebrickable

800x544.jpg

Some time ago my daughter got this Duplo set from her aunt: http://brickset.com/...ative-Ice-Cream

That got me thinking I could use one of these cones for my own purposes, especially since my little one was very interested in throwing bricks across the room, instead of proper play (or maybe that was proper play ;) ). Anyway I borrowed four bricks from her (I honestly intend to give those back to her) and thought it would be nice to make a big advert out of this ice cream and make it rotate. Such an Ice Cream Parlor should have nice clientele drawn by this big sign of what's inside :)

So power functions was a must. But since I was to integrate PF info a modular, why not go further and add some lights too? When I was young (long time ago...) I always liked things that moved and had lights :P so you can call it late compensation :P

Later on I will present it module by module, but if you want to have a quick look at it in action, here's a video:

Ok, so let's start with a view of all the modules separately:

DSC03581.jpg

And now let's talk about the ground floor:

DSC03546.jpg

DSC03566.jpg

DSC03563.jpg

As you can see, on the right there is the ice cream parlor with seating available inside and at the back of the building. You can buy ice cream, lemonade, donuts and coffee. The staff is taken from the Ice Cream Machine set :)

I'm happy with the bench - it gave me some headache, but I wanted to have something distinctive. The lamp is also different to typical one, but it's nothing special.

On the left there is an entrance to the owner's apartment. There is also a small storage room for bike. The top of it is removable for easier access, but you can get the bike in and out through the door (but it's tricky).

Ok, now - the heart of the modular - the Power Functions module:

DSC03577.jpg

All electronic components are here. That is:

1 Rechargeable battery

2 switches

3 sets of PF lights (so 6 sources of lights total)

1 M motor

Of course apart from that there are also all the technic components to make it work. The motor is running the Duplo brick with a 1:9 reduction.

The lights are provided for the ice cream parlor (4 of them), entrance to the staircase (1) and the apartment (1 for the table lamp seen above).

My idea was to be able to control lights and motor separately, that's why I have 2 switches here. Look closely at the picture above. There are two holes for technic axles above. The one on the left is for access to the switch controlling the motor (advert). The hole on the right allows access to the switch controlling all the lights. Those go on/off simultaneously. You can't have just part of them on. That would require even more switches and there is simply no room for that. It's crammed inside already.

Now, have a look at the bottom of this module where all the lights can be seen and the front of this module, which allows access to the rechargeable battery in case you need to recharge it (power cord access).

Through the holes in the front section you can turn the battery on/off and change the voltage too.

DSC03578.jpg

DSC03544.jpg

Now, the last two modules are the roof and the apartment of the owner. It's not much room inside - the advert required quite some space already, but it's cosy :P

As you have seen already this apartment get light from the lamp on the table, which is actually part of the Power Functions module.

Yes, I know the TV is kind of useless on that wall, but... hey, he wanted a TV so I gave him one :P

DSC03574.jpg

DSC03575.jpg

So, how do you operate this thing? With a KEY :)

640x426.jpg

and last, but not least - two pictures of it with lights on, and ambient lights off:

DSC03582.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

Full gallery is available on my Bicksafe: http://www.bricksafe...ce_Cream_Parlor

I hope you enjoyed this little presentation. Please consider support on Ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/106103

Edited by Mestari
adding Rebrickable link

Wow! This is amazing! The building and the interior is nice, but the functions are the best! :classic: But I think you should use lights to illuminate the big cone, too!

Nice! The ice cream cone with PF is clever and looks great! I also like the interior of the ice cream parlour, the outdoor seating area at the back and the Orange/yellow/red detail above the shop front.

Very cool idea, and brilliantly executed.

Also like the house itself, it looks like a pretty straightforwrad build, but it works very well :)

The building is certainly interesting in itself - both inside and outside - but that rotating ice cream cone is just the icing (...) on the cake. Lovely! A very cool idea that seems to work perfectly. I'm sure it would be a star at any LEGO convention. Moving objects always get the children's attention.

Thank you for comments :)

I have already tested it with children on a convention and they kept on touching the cone :)

I had to fix the position of it afterwards in 50% chances, it was not easy for a child's hand to position it right.

Extremely impressive design! I like the use of the Duplo elements to make the giant ice cream cone. The most impressive though is the way you added PF to your model to add movement and lighting tho this already great model! I will 100% support this on The ideas website, I wish the best of luck to you getting the 10,000 supporters you need for your model to be a set so I can get my hands on one :classic:

Great Work!

-RailCo

Quite a build there. The addition of PF is really a great touch. The lights bring it to life in the darkness. That key idea is something I may borrow for a project of my own where it's hard to reach the battery box.

Thank you all for nice comments!

Regarding lights on the cone - that thought had my wife as well, but I didn't have enough room to put yet another set of lights there. It would also be good to have some more on the outside, but I guess this is a job for 3rd party solutions. LEGO's led's are just too cumbersome.

This is a lovely building. I like the big ice cream on the roof and also the interior work is very charming.

Really nice idea, and nicely executed!

Love the PF functions, but would put in a SBrick to control the motor and LED's with. I know that would not make it to Ideas, but would be nice as an after-market MOD.

And yes, it needs lights on the cone.. ;-)

I have started making building instructions for it, but got stuck at the power functions module. It's much more work and research than I have anticipated. When it's eventually available I'll post information about it here.

Thank you all for your opinions, it really makes me want to do more :)

That's really good. You've got me eyeing up my sons Duplo now. He loves his ice cream set though, I'd be very mean to steal it.

I have started making building instructions for it, but got stuck at the power functions module. It's much more work and research than I have anticipated. When it's eventually available I'll post information about it here.

Thank you all for your opinions, it really makes me want to do more :)

I'd love to purchase these instructions (without the power functions even). I love the look of this!

That huge ice-cream on top is superb and the lights also are a great touch to the moc. Great modular...! :thumbup: