Sign in to follow this  
Aanchir

[MOC] Spinning Through The Serpents' Lair [Ultimate Battle 16x16]

8108874038_5542d1aba3.jpg

8108874524_3f1ff4ce81.jpg 8108874808_fb1b37ae60.jpg

My 16x16 vignette for Eurobricks Ninja Month: Ultimate Battle! When trying to think of what would make for an ultimate battle, I decided that it would have to have a lot of action. So I tried to incorporate a lot of characters. Originally I would have had all five Ninja doing Spinjitzu, but that would have made it difficult to fit an enemy who would have stood a chance into the vignette. Lloyd's single tornado ended up looking better than my composite tornado concept anyway. I worked very hard to balance the composition, as you can see in the top-down photo.

I also recognize that having Lloyd using his elemental powers while the other four Ninja still have their Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu doesn't fit the official storyline, but I intended to capture an iconic vision of the characters much like the beautifully-illustrated key visuals that appear in the Ninjago instruction booklets.

Nice work!

Llyod's Spinjitsu tornado is really nice, and the Serpentine warriors seem to match each Ninja they're fighting rather well with regards to the colours. Was that your intention?

Nice work!

Llyod's Spinjitsu tornado is really nice, and the Serpentine warriors seem to match each Ninja they're fighting rather well with regards to the colours. Was that your intention?

No, not really. Honestly if I had noticed I might have switched the positions of the Fangpyre and Hypnobrai! I really prefer to avoid things in a display piece like this becoming imbalanced, and that includes colors. But I'm glad you see that as a good thing rather than a flaw.

Beautiful work on the tornado. Did you take apart the Ultra Dragon for this?

Oh, much more than that. 9441, 9442, 9444, and 9450 are all mostly in pieces. Some parts like the Ultra Dragon's torso are still together, but in general the only model sets with me at college that I didn't take apart for this build were the snowmobile from 9445, which is still in one piece, and the Samurai Mech which still hasn't been taken out of the box (I don't plan to put it together until I have at least one of the many set reviews I've been working on for The Ninjago Wiki posted). Even a few of my Master Builder Academy sets have been taken apart.

Great job, that tornado really looks good, glad someone was finnally able to use a spinner in their build! I would suggest a different color floor/ground if you have it (why the lime?) but over all great action scene! :thumbup:

Great job, that tornado really looks good, glad someone was finnally able to use a spinner in their build! I would suggest a different color floor/ground if you have it (why the lime?) but over all great action scene! :thumbup:

The lime was meant to be a stream of venom, like the spiral of venom in Ouroboros in "Rise of the Great Devourer." Originally I intended to have some of the snake heads with venom dripping from their fangs that appear in almost all of the Serpentine architecture from the sets, but the verticality of them distracted from both Lloyd's Spinjitzu and the battle below. If I had any good Transparent Fluorescent Green tiles I'd have used those to make it clearer what the venom pool was supposed to be.

The reason I needed a venom pool at all, of course, was that I didn't have Dark Brown or Sand Yellow tiles in the right sizes to fill that gap.

The lime was meant to be a stream of venom, like the spiral of venom in Ouroboros in "Rise of the Great Devourer." Originally I intended to have some of the snake heads with venom dripping from their fangs that appear in almost all of the Serpentine architecture from the sets, but the verticality of them distracted from both Lloyd's Spinjitzu and the battle below. If I had any good Transparent Fluorescent Green tiles I'd have used those to make it clearer what the venom pool was supposed to be.

The reason I needed a venom pool at all, of course, was that I didn't have Dark Brown or Sand Yellow tiles in the right sizes to fill that gap.

Nice Build!

But the lime would look better if it was'nt so square.

You know, in Ouroborus it was more like a circle.

Nice Build!

But the lime would look better if it was'nt so square.

You know, in Ouroborus it was more like a circle.

I agree, but the shape of the lime areas was pretty strictly defined by the Dark Brown and Sand Yellow parts I had in my collection. The lime actually works all right without the figures, but not so well in the final vignette. Still, I'm quite proud of what I could do with the parts I had, given what a hard time I had making an attractive-looking 16x16 base to begin with! Perhaps at some point I'll take a photo of the base without the figures.

Oh, much more than that. 9441, 9442, 9444, and 9450 are all mostly in pieces. Some parts like the Ultra Dragon's torso are still together, but in general the only model sets with me at college that I didn't take apart for this build were the snowmobile from 9445, which is still in one piece, and the Samurai Mech which still hasn't been taken out of the box (I don't plan to put it together until I have at least one of the many set reviews I've been working on for The Ninjago Wiki posted). Even a few of my Master Builder Academy sets have been taken apart.

I never take apart my sets. I used to, and now I really regret it. However I found myself taking apart my Speeda Demon for the parts so I don't think I can help it. :p

I never take apart my sets. I used to, and now I really regret it. However I found myself taking apart my Speeda Demon for the parts so I don't think I can help it. :p

It helps being at college and only having a certain number of my sets so I don't have to worry about the parts getting mixed up with the rest of my collection. In fact, working with parts from sets is a great asset here at college because it means I can re-assemble the sets when it's time to move out after the semester, so I'll be able to verify that I leave with the same pieces I came with (plus those of a few sets that I buy over the course of the semester).

Edited by Aanchir