Kommander

[FINISHED][2.2 meters long] Venator class star destroyer "ATELLES"

+++ UPDATE  27/December/2016 +++

Happy holidays eurobricks!

I have some new pictures of my Venator. You can check out my flickr for more pictures. I will upload more as soon as possible. First post also edited.

31084943193_c4fbc515ab_b.jpg

31856978726_a29f820020_b.jpg

31537813240_d607b70f3e_b.jpg

greetings Kommander

+++ UPDATE  3/December/2016 +++

Long time no see eurobricks!

Today my Venator enters the sky above the ship yards of Rothana Heavy Engineering. As the project manager I proudly present you the capital ship “ATELLES”- a Venator class star destroyer.

31004881420_eec2e35a9c_c.jpg

31374036145_d3c164ec35_c.jpg

31259075911_d32592004b_c.jpg

Back in 2005 when I saw the Star Wars Epi. 3 starting sequence in the theaters – I was like “I really have to build one of these giants!”

Then a few years later  and already earning my own money I started the wip. The plan was building a venator bigger than the Lego ISD (10030). While processing the project there were 2 points of massive improvements. Each time I change the size and the new version was bigger than the old one. The building time on the last version of the Venator I´m showing you in this thread was only about 2 years. Now be at university the time has come to finish this ship.

Over the whole 7 years I ordered about 100 times at Bricklink.com. Additional to these orders I used a lot of my own bricks in storage. I don’t know how many bricks I used for the Venator. It have to be something above 45000 pieces with a weight of 65 kg.

The construction of the inner structure and the frame is basically like the #10030 IDS.
A structure made out of technic bricks carrying the whole ship. This technique is easy to scaling up to big dimensions.

31004926830_19798baa5a_c.jpg

The Venator´s of Erik Varsegi and Iomedes were always leaders in supersized star destroyers and a good orientation for my project. At one point my Venator should be one of those as well and I destroyed the old version and made a bigger one. This Venator how hitting the length of 220 cm x 117 cm x 68 cm. A bit smaller than the others.

However, the thing was building this ship as accurate as possible. Some details of the origin Venator from the Movie has been changed or replaced with own ideas like the frame structure at the surface. The overall impression has to match and looks smooth.

31230108382_a541a09227_c.jpg

30566603913_2465b14cf3_c.jpg

31230104342_f9c0076bcd_c.jpg

31230095312_5a3126e64c_c.jpg

31004900450_5937a13f78_c.jpg

31259096171_59b83657f6_c.jpg

For those they want to know about construction details here we go.

In the middle of the ship is a massive string - the ship´s “backbone”. Different sections like the hangar or the thrusters are connected with it. The inner structure mostly consists of technic bricks, pins and plates.

Simultaneously I build the “wing”-plating because the wedge-plates with their angles restrict the shape of it. And as you know the plating is a bit bigger so it can overlap the frame.

The thickness of the plating is 5 layers of plates. One slope underneath and above the string create the first important angle. Each one has left and right technic bricks as well. On those the wings can be attached. Unfortunately I secured the underneath-plating with some wires because the weight was too much and I couldn´t find any alternative to fix this problem. It is the only thing that isn’t Lego. Glue also never touched this project.

31259106801_7a2eecb128_c.jpg

In every thruster is also a solid string with technic bricks. Rings consists of 8 hinge-elements are the basement for the use of round bricks for the shape. A unique technique which also looks pretty nice.

To counteract a misalignment of the long thrusters I decided to install them with an increasing angle upwards. And as expected it works pretty well.

The command tower as well as other sections can be detached easy. Reason behind this is of course for the transport. Next step is to exhibit this giant on events in Germany. Maybe I manage to change and improve some things unstill the first event. Finally the last step is selling this thing dissembled in components or complete as Moc.

31004882130_f1b856750d_c.jpg

31004882980_f5b03d4a76_c.jpg

More pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/39520243@N03/albums/72157620671087561

- Kommander

+++ Original Post +++

Hello Eurobricks,

my name is Philipp and i`m a member of www.imperiumdersteine.de (IdS) and of course german :)

Today i`m here introducing my work in progress UCS Venator. Some of you maybe discovered my litte turrents on flickr in various groups.

27073235874_076bc8d0b0_c.jpg

27098149443_9a59ffc581_c.jpg

At the beginning of the building progress in year 2008 i started with a size around 150 cm in lenght, but by passing the years i scale up the size to the Venator im showing you now. This ship hitting a lenght of 220 cm and has a width of 120 cm. Dimensions like Erik Varszegi`s Venator. Maybe a litte bit smaller.

27715208726_b3f706ceb0_k.jpg

27715214676_a82c56cd71_k.jpg

Btw. here you can see a picture of my first Venatorbuild. Looks kinda cute, isn`t it?

6995619074_18fc31f5ab_z.jpg

Most things are finished...thrusters, guns, superstructure. I really can see the finish line. But this update/post is only for an overview. That means unfortunately no closeup pictures.

The next and last milestone is the underside armor. In the meantime i`m going to fill the gaps and there`re still bricks that need to be changed.

Before i forget; this is my flickr account: https://www.flickr.c...s/39520243@N03/

and here the original thread on IdS: http://www.imperiumd...estroyer/page-4

- Kommander

Edited by Kommander

Magnificent. It's no secret that Venator is probably my top favourite ship from SW and I'm glad there are more models coming, especially if it's a new, original build!

It looks very spot on, although I prefer the hull to be more tapered towards the sides, which I think is more movie accurate. However, there are plenty of refference models (Which I believe are mostly based on the clone wars series) which are more flat, similarly as your model is. Plus it is rather negligible nunce, the difference might be like 2 degrees maximum :)

The turbolasers look wonderful and so do the twin canons on the sides.

Good luck with the progress, I can't wait to seing some closeups!

BTW the pic of the cute venatorbuild doesn't show, at least not for me.

Edited by krisandkris12

Looks great! Did you say you started this in 2008? You must be excited to complete it -- having a project going for that long would probably drive me mad.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Both builds are fantastic always wanted a venator but I never have built a moc this huge. Still I gotta have one of these.

Well done, this is an amazing achievement. Everywhere the details look spot on, right down to greebling. Just amazing.

This is one big, detailed Venator! I totally admire the dedication you have to persevere with this MOC for the past 8 years! :wub:

How much are you going to sell this for? And why sell? This is one amazing MOC!

That looks amazing -- truly one of the definitive renditions of a Star Destroyer of any class!  You must be so happy to have it finished. 

Also, I hope everyone sees it.  Sometimes things get lost in the shuffle when you post an update to an existing thread.  You might want to edit your first post or something so people know to scroll down.

Unfortunately I secured the underneath-plating with some wires because the weight was too much and I couldn´t find any alternative to fix this problem.

Having run into that problem myself, I know exactly what you're talking about.  Your ship is bigger than mine, and the panels are thicker, so I dunno if this would work...but what I did was use http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=76766#T=C , as "hooks" on which the bottom panels hang.  The top part of the bracket is buried in plates and secured, and the bottom part slips into a receptacle attached to the frame of the ship.  This mock-up kind of illustrates the concept:  http://imgur.com/Xy1PjHR.  Anyway, just throwing that out there if you want to try it.  I imagine you're not looking to make any drastic changes at this point, though, heh.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, why sell?  If it's put on public display somewhere, that might be the best of all worlds.  But don't you want it to be the centerpiece of your living room?

22 hours ago, Azrielsc said:

This is one big, detailed Venator! I totally admire the dedication you have to persevere with this MOC for the past 8 years! :wub:

How much are you going to sell this for? And why sell? This is one amazing MOC!

22 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Also, if you don't mind my asking, why sell?  If it's put on public display somewhere, that might be the best of all worlds.  But don't you want it to be the centerpiece of your living room?

You´re both right but it needs alot of space which i don´t have in my apartment. The other reason is I have no idea what should I do except presenting or selling the Venator. For the moment its fine for me and I will display this giant but money is more useful for poor students instead of a big Legomoc :D

The challenge to building this ship is completed and that´s the most important thing for me.

I really don´t know how much for selling at this point and I don´t wanna scare off potential buyer ;D 

That looks amazing -- truly one of the definitive renditions of a Star Destroyer of any class!  You must be so happy to have it finished. 

Also, I hope everyone sees it.  Sometimes things get lost in the shuffle when you post an update to an existing thread.  You might want to edit your first post or something so people know to scroll down.

Good to know. I will check my first post!

Having run into that problem myself, I know exactly what you're talking about.  Your ship is bigger than mine, and the panels are thicker, so I dunno if this would work...but what I did was use http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=76766#T=C , as "hooks" on which the bottom panels hang.  The top part of the bracket is buried in plates and secured, and the bottom part slips into a receptacle attached to the frame of the ship.  This mock-up kind of illustrates the concept:  http://imgur.com/Xy1PjHR.  Anyway, just throwing that out there if you want to try it.  I imagine you're not looking to make any drastic changes at this point, though, heh.

Could be working but as you mentioned I have to spend much time for these changes. However, interesting technique and thank you for posting it. Maybe I try it.

P.S: Your Tyrant is a masterpiece. I really love the surface structure!!!

19 hours ago, KevinYoung said:

Once again congrats an incredible build this is.

Thank you.

- Philipp

Edited by Kommander

How do you even break that down for shipping you would have to give a manual or something???

Edited by KevinYoung

I don't know if you used LDD to build it before making it with bricks or not, but if you did you could make a instruction mannual and sell that and rebuild the cruiser into something else.

Hello again!

On 31.7.2016 at 10:15 AM, Lego Customs 0401 said:

Awesome job so far! I'm building something similar :) I started in september 2013 and I'm somewhere where you are at for the moment :)

I'll upload some pictures of my project too. In the meantime you can check mine out on my Mocpage: http://www.moc-pages.com/home.php/83528

Just saw your posting... shame on me :(
It is a huge advantage to see other techniques that´s why your wip-pictures were a good help during my construction. Unfortunately other builders didn´t shared their destroyer´s inner structure.
I wish you susses and I´m looking forward to hearing from your Venator!

12 hours ago, KevinYoung said:

How do you even break that down for shipping you would have to give a manual or something???

Maybe I rebuild it with LDD later for manual or as construction help.

At least without plating and command tower it is way easier to handle. Like this it is also small enough for the car.

11 hours ago, naugem said:

Amazing build!

Thank you!

10 hours ago, ChiefPie said:

I don't know if you used LDD to build it before making it with bricks or not, but if you did you could make a instruction mannual and sell that and rebuild the cruiser into something else.

I have old LDD documents but never used them while processing. Basically everything on the picture below is avaiable.

Unbenannt.png

- Philipp

Edited by Kommander