Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

2-8-4 "Berkshire" type steam engine - Anthony Sava inspired

This engine began life as Anthony Sava's 2-8-4 Berkshire based on the real Pere Marquette 1225, from which I purchased instructions of way back in 2012. I then modified the model with a new boiler, longer wheelbase (two extra drivers making it into 2-10-4), reddish brown exterior paint scheme, new cow-catcher, smoke-box door, and pistons.

More recently, I reconfigured the engine back into a 2-8-4 Berkshire in order to add a better front pony truck, modeled after the one in the Emerald Night set. (10194)

22948373345_23f9651e41_z.jpg

The engine handles better than the Texas version, and is easier to roll thanks to the improved pistons.

22934954772_c683962dff_z.jpg

Here is the engine on a curve to let you get an idea of the overhang.

22760365930_a62e10ff05_z.jpg

The firebox door maybe a little large, but I like it better than the original 4 x 4 dish that was on the original Berkshire way back in 2012 when I first built it.

No ldd file is available, sorry!

...and here is a picture that looks good as a desktop on my computer:

22327242083_75704581f0_z.jpg

"Take it to the limit"

Brick Railway Systems "Berkshire" 6297 meets Southern Pacific "Daylight" 4460 at the yard limit sign near Barrett's Station.

And yes, the title is a nod at the Eagles song of the same name.

Here is the train this engine pulls:

23074986136_1a5f8c2d62_z.jpg

The baggage car

22478293744_cee22ae8a1_z.jpg

The three updated coaches.. and yes, I know the cars are a bit wonky in their placement: the first car is off the rails a bit, while the second is on a bit of a hill and the third is cut-off in the left edge.

22682701847_4a9a566bd3_z.jpg

The observation car... this one features the 909 markings on the rear deck.

Originally these cars were 30 studs long and 8 studs wide, plus their were six of them. Their length wrapped around my Dad's 8 foot-long layout, so I got rid of two of them, reducing the length dramatically but also reducing the number of cars to four. A Berkshire (not yet a Texas type at this point in time and way before being color-swapped to brown and going back to being a Berkshire) type pulling a skimpy four car train looked silly, so I came up with what you see here: five 24 stud-long train cars in 6 wide.

Where did get the idea for them in the first place? They were inspired by a 8 wide Galaxy Express 999 MOC I saw years ago on Brickshelf. (see it here: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=374748 ) The name of this train was changed to the tune of the Beatles song "One after 909" from the album "Let it Be". Then I tried a bunch of words after that go with 909, including the following: limited, express, cannonball, flyer, runner, and a bunch of other names and combination of said names I can't recall right now. Eventually, I ran into National Limited on accident when correcting a typo. I liked the way it sounded, and thus 909 National Limited was born.

Unfortunately, their is no LDD file for the passenger train.

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice but that overhang... Does it have cab interior?

My favorite part is seeing the Berkshire and the Black Daylight together at the end, with that surprisingly simple yet spot on yard limit sign.

Nice but that overhang... Does it have cab interior?

thanks! The overhang actually could have been much worse... and, yes it has an interior, though it's not much compared to the last version: now it's only four gauges and a firebox door.

Looks great!

thank you!

My favorite part is seeing the Berkshire and the Black Daylight together at the end, with that surprisingly simple yet spot on yard limit sign.

Thanks, that's my favorite picture too. I can't remember how long I've had that yard limit sign together: its' gotta be going on 5 years!

If you were to make the driving wheels B-F-B-F, how would that affect the overhang both in the front and rear?

I thought about that, but I think the pony truck I used wouldn't work so well next to blind drivers instead of flanged. If you did use blind first, you'd have to have a different kind of pony truck, something like this...

22346652793_a54cf7eb6d_z.jpg

This is what my first MOD of Anthony Sava's original Berkshire looks like with regards to the pony truck. It is hinged between the first and second axle by a 2 x 14 plate and 2 x 2 turntable. I now use the Emerald night pony truck instead of this, as the original one had problems falling off the turntable at times of uneven track, such as the lead-up to a bridge.

Does this help any?

Edited by Murdoch17

I thought about that, but I think the pony truck I used wouldn't work so well next to blind drivers instead of flanged. If you did use blind first, you'd have to have a different kind of pony truck, something like this...

22346652793_a54cf7eb6d_z.jpg

This is what my first MOD of Anthony Sava's original Berkshire looks like with regards to the pony truck. It is hinged between the first and second axle by a 2 x 14 plate and 2 x 2 turntable. I now use the Emerald night pony truck instead of this, as the original one had problems falling off the turntable at times of uneven track, such as the lead-up to a bridge.

Does this help any?

It does since my Emerald Northern is a B-F-B-F setup to eliminate rear overhang. I think that the front overhang will be fine with that setup, but I have not fully tested it yet.

It does since my Emerald Northern is a B-F-B-F setup to eliminate rear overhang. I think that the front overhang will be fine with that setup, but I have not fully tested it yet.

Glad I could help!

Anyway, as an update, the passenger train that the Berkshire pulls (the 909 National limited) has been added to the first post.

Edited by Murdoch17