Do any of you have a set that you never bought but wished you had? I mean, REALLY, REALLY regret? For me it would have to be the Unimog. At the time, it was between the 42009 and 8110 for me, figured I'd buy the crane first, then the 8110 later, (which was at my local toys R us). Went back a couple months later, and the 2-3 they had were sold. I'm still trying to find one BNIB for a decent price, but it's so hard. So what sets do you all regret not getting?

8051, still kicking myself daily for not picking that one up, prices on bricklink are ridiculous, with used sets going for 150% msrp, and NIBs going for $100+

9398 and 8070. I got a huge tax return a few years back and thought about spending a lot of it on LEGO, but my Technic interest simply hadn't emerged yet. These days I can pretty much reconstitute the 9398 from my parts stash, but I just don't have the silly money that certain red bits from the 8070 demand.

9398 is still possible to buy here at local store, and i'm thinking about it before Arocs.

When i was 9, 10 and 11, lego released 8880, 8485 and 8480.

Prices in those days for these kind of sets were around 300 gulden (before euro) and that was a heap of cash for my age.

So, when i went to toys r us, they displayed these kind of sets, which in my eyes were huuuuuuges boxes of lego goodness.

Never bought any of them.

I guess that was also when my dark ages started a bit.

2 years ago i bought 8480 second hand, and it's amazing.

Also, maybe 8043 and 41999.

My list is long since I am new AFOL who came back to Lego only in January 2015. Aside from 8462 which I got for excellent price and condition, and aside from the other non-Technic sets that I wish for (such as 6754) here is my Technic regret list:

1. 9396
  2. 8109
  3. 8070
  4. 8043
  5. 8052
  6. 8145
  7. 8285
  8. 8461 (edit: forgot this one)
  9. 8458

Edited by Samer

When i was 9, 10 and 11, lego released 8880, 8485 and 8480.

Prices in those days for these kind of sets were around 300 gulden (before euro) and that was a heap of cash for my age.

So, when i went to toys r us, they displayed these kind of sets, which in my eyes were huuuuuuges boxes of lego goodness.

Never bought any of them.

I guess that was also when my dark ages started a bit.

2 years ago i bought 8480 second hand, and it's amazing.

Also, maybe 8043 and 41999.

I remember getting 8880 as a kid, it was one of the best things happening to me as a kid.

At a garage sale I saw a dark side developer set for only $10

9754_box.jpg

Since I dident like technic at the time I dident buy it.... Still kicking mysel.

I also did not buy the 8466 when it was cheap-not overpriced :classic:

A couple of years ago I thought I was done with Technic my interest was mainly Modular buildings and Winter Village, so I sold...

2 Crane Truck - 8259

1 motorized Excavator - 8043

1 Front Loader - 8256

1 Off Roader - 8297

At dirt cheap prices, a good buy for another Eurobricker...

Due to my new found interest in GoPro, my interest in Technic has been renewed I regret selling both Crane Trucks (8259) I should have kept one Crane a Truck and the Motorized Excavator (8043), they would have been handy for parts, motors and gears and learning.

Instead I just bought the 42009, 42029, 42039 and the 42042 to re-learn Technic building techniques and for parts, motors and gears.

Oh, well, I'm not sure I will ever sell any LEGO again, for I do not know when I may want it. Well, maybe I might sell some LOTR or some mini figs some day;)

Just MHO,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Ah.....nothing like the sound of hind sight regret whooshing by. I like to forget the sets I missed out on. Thanks for bringing back all that pain.....jerk. ;)

9398/41999 is a set that "got away" for me. 42000 also.

At least with sets like 8258 and 8285 their functions and features are available in other models now (42009, 42043, 42008, etc.)

As for other sets - there may never be again a technic space shuttle since 8480, and no set has been such a spatial study of real-world form since 8070. 8043 had the right balance of motorized playability, size, complexity, and price (and a totally different B-model). So it can be tough missing out on certain things, but that's life sometimes.

It's hard to say what types of sets will make it back into the Technic rotation, too - after all, Lego made a real-world fully-RC vehicle in 42030 but one year later it's "temporarily out of stock" with no timetable to return.

I've got few sets that I've wanted really-really bad already. Still have pretty large wanted list on BL. Some sets to include: 8466, 8461, 8675, 8480. Well, nothing you can't buy these days, but some sets are pretty hard to get hold of good condition, especially with a both and at a decent price.

8043 was on the list also, but I found I'm missing just small number of pieces to build it from parts I already have.

Not a technic set, although it has a huge amount of technic elements. The best set ever is 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer

The 5571.

The prices are too silly, even just for the two doors, so i'm building Grazi's tow truck instead as an homage to the original with a pantload of part substitutions to make it affordable. I'm still on the lookout for one hiding in an attic somewhere though.

A couple of years ago I thought I was done with Technic my interest was mainly Modular buildings and Winter Village, so I sold...

2 Crane Truck - 8259

1 Front Loader - 8256

1 Off Roader - 8297

Due to my new found interest in GoPro, my interest in Technic has been renewed I regret selling both Crane Trucks (8259) I should have kept one Crane a Truck and the Motorized Excavator (8043), they would have been handy for parts, motors and gears and learning.

Instead I just bought the 42009, 42029, 42039 and the 42042 to re-learn Technic building techniques and for parts, motors and gears.

Oh, well, I'm not sure I will ever sell any LEGO again, for I do not know when I may want it. Well, maybe I might sell some LOTR or some mini figs some day;)

Just MHO,

Andy D

I think if I sold those and wanted them back, I would have shot myself. Well, maybe not that drastic, but that sucks.

Ah.....nothing like the sound of hind sight regret whooshing by. I like to forget the sets I missed out on. Thanks for bringing back all that pain.....jerk. ;)

No problem ;)

9398/41999 is a set that "got away" for me. 42000 also.

At least with sets like 8258 and 8285 their functions and features are available in other models now (42009, 42043, 42008, etc.)

As for other sets - there may never be again a technic space shuttle since 8480, and no set has been such a spatial study of real-world form since 8070. 8043 had the right balance of motorized playability, size, complexity, and price (and a totally different B-model). So it can be tough missing out on certain things, but that's life sometimes.

It's hard to say what types of sets will make it back into the Technic rotation, too - after all, Lego made a real-world fully-RC vehicle in 42030 but one year later it's "temporarily out of stock" with no timetable to return.

I would also like technic to throw some different sets in the line up, like a space shuttle or maybe a sub or something

I would also like technic to throw some different sets in the line up, like a space shuttle or maybe a sub or something

i've always been ambivalent about this sentiment. To bring stuff back is great for those who don't have one, or never saw the original, but it devalues the rarity of the original.

i've always been ambivalent about this sentiment. To bring stuff back is great for those who don't have one, or never saw the original, but it devalues the rarity of the original.

I know, right? I just bought a second-hand 42007 for less than retail. If only 42036 didn't exist, maybe I'd have to pay over £50 for it, such is the rarity and value of technic motybikes.

I got out of LEGO about 1992, and started back in about 2013, so just about every Technic set from 1990 til 2014. :laugh: Unimog was a big miss for me, at the time I couldn't believe people would buy a set over $200, but I was just getting back in.

2 Crane Truck - 8259

1 Front Loader - 8256

1 Off Roader - 8297

Andy D

According to Brickset 8259 is a mini buldozer, maybe you mentioned wrong set number?