kabel

Book II - Challenge III - Mitgardian Civil War - Prologue - Chapter 2

Link to Chapter I.

Originally the dwarven council of Amortug had been a place of quiet and thoughtfull diliberation. The dwarven eldest had shared their wisdom and come to reasonable conclusions, their most important dicission having been to join the Mitgardian confederation under the leadership of Jarl Nibelung, thus rendering some of their authority to Valholl. This had worked well to the advantage of the Mitgardian dwarves as long as things had remained peacefull in Mitgardia.

15037384961_6535fabcb2_c.jpg

However, with the destruction the elementals had brought to much of central Mitgardia many of the older and wiser members had died and so most new members of the council were rather young, by dwarven standards, and therefore not as wise and thoughtfull as they should have been.

14853721099_3f0ce9b5d1_c.jpg

And so debates in the old council chamber had become loud and hot blooded with everybody trying to scream louder than the others, and the decissions made were driven by the younger dwarves' desire to prove themselves as true fighters:

"And I say, let's not sit still here and wait how those elves forge an alliance with the drow in order to shut us up for good. Brothers, how much longer do we want to believe their girly chatter and see how our swords and axes turn rusty. Let's move now, let's crush the drow now that they are weak. Let's march to Avalonia and set things straight!" screamed one of the young Lords. A loud roar of consent arose from the benches with everybody talking, no yelling at the same time.

14853890287_48c9e85c16_c.jpg

"I hear you my friend" screamed another dwarven Lord from the opposite side of the room, where normally the opposing faction would be sitting.

"Today I don't know any clans and parties anymore, today I only know dwarves!!" he continued and earned another round of rowdy applause so that the walls of the citadel were shaking. Finally the speaker rose from his seat and shouted: "Let us march now!"

Suddenly Baldur Oakentrunk, the current head of the council and one of the last remaining older members of the coucil, raised his hands to call for silence. The roaring became subdued because if Baldur wanted to say say something, everybody knew it would make sense. And so the old man spoke in a refreshingly quiet but steady voice:

14853892177_8b5ff9991e_c.jpg

"My dear dwarves, I who once fought alongside Jarl Nibelung and Elon Chorian to unite this mighty guild of Mitgardia am not willing to give up unity for the sake of adventure" - silence - and after a small pause he continued:

"I do see too however, that the drow are a curse and that now is the moment to ged rid of this curse. So I say, let's march now, but let's march in silence!"

The younger dwarves looked at each other puzzled. What did the old man mean, march in silence, how was that to be done? But as soon as a new chattering arose, Baldur Oakentrunk carried on another time:

"Dear Lords, I have asked you to come here today so that you will listen to my plan. So may the Johannson brothers be brought to this council meating" he ordered the guards that were waiting at the door.

The members of the council looked on in amazement as the Johannson brothers, they, despite their secret sympahty for the brothers' action, believed were to rot in the deepest dungeons of Valholl, entered the council chambers.

15037388751_a0eca46381_c.jpg

Despite their usual thoughness Thorgard and Edralf were extremely intimidated as they entered the room. What would be done to them? Why were they brought here and not to the Mitgardian judges in Valholl?

Things didn't make much sense to them and they were evem more confused to see that among the council Lords were many of whom they had fought alongside all these years. It truely must have been a long time they had spent in the mountains searching for the perfect mine.

Finally Baldur raised his voice in an amicable tone:

"Dear boys, now I see that you are afraid to meet the council. But do not hesitate, do come nigh!" and so the Johannsen brothers finally stood in the middle of the room.

"It has come to our ears that you two broke the law by mining too close to the border" both brothers shook their heads admittingly.

"But, by the old gods" continued Baldur "those are laws are made by men for men. You two are dwarves and the time has come for you to serve your community!"

The Johannsons and the council members looked at each other bewildered, what did the old man mean?

"I would like you to go back to your mine and continue your activities there. However, I would like you to abandon the quest for the gold as of now and instead continue to change the course of the mine towards Avalonia. You will then allow the dwarven troops to use your tunnel in order to cross secretely into Avalonia, were they will start fighting the drow. Once we are done you may continue your normal operations. So leave now and speak to noone. You are dismissed!"

Suddenly it all made sense to everybody prensent: to march silently meant to dig tunnels into Avalonia and attack the drow from where they were not expecting it and where no elve could possibly see them, from beneath Avalonia!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Open the gate!"

14980445310_8c95bc1201_c.jpg

The guards looked upon a cloaked man that was patiently waiting for the gate to open. They were wondering who the person might be as not many may enter trough the Varn Gate. To pass trough it, you'd need a password and the feather seal from Amortug's navy. Normally only emissaries, ambassadors or other important people are granted access to use this gate. And this man didn't look like he'd be one of those at all.

15164127361_95cf2b9c7d_c.jpg

The man waiting inside the small boat was Naggrund. Hazarmaveth had sent him to Amortug with important news. Being his right hand, Naggrund was the only one trusted with the message that had to be delivered. That explained how he knew the password and how he got the seal.

Naggrund looked into the water and saw his face in the reflection. It reminded him instantly of his eye. The Drow... He know he could have lost more than just an eye. But still being alive only instigated his wrath towards those evil creatures. His teath were gnashing while thinking about revenge. Suddenly he heared the sound of chains, the gate started to open and he was able to enter.

14980375289_e319d64950_c.jpg

The gate opened and a pair of eyes were already looking at him. It was Adummim who was eager to hear what news Naggrund was bringing. While he was rowing towards the landing stage Naggrund said: "General Adummin, I'm bringing word from your brother!"

"Amazingly fast as always, Naggrund! Let me hear, did they find the entrance?"

"It took us two weeks to find the entrace."

"Yes hidden dwarven doors are the worst, go on."

"We managed to open the door and we got into the armory. We've already loaded everything onto our ships. They lie at anchor just in front of Cradewind Bay, waiting for orders coming from the council."

"Waiting is a skill my brother does not master. So hopefully he's smart enough not to pursue his own agenda."

Meanwhile at sea.

14979126127_6b94a18998_c.jpg

"Those bloody doors! Two whole weeks!"

"At least we have all the weapons we need now general!"

15162703011_ebf17c4e27_c.jpg

Looking at all the swords, Hazarmaveth was reconsidering what could happen when these were put to use. The finest dwarven swords ever made in one place. He was still surprised the council agreed on using the swords. No one had entered the Armory for hundreds of years. Not even when Revolword's forces and monsters were on a killing spree. And above it all, these swords were sacred. They've been used by the ancestors in famous battles. Seeing what happened in Nocturnus and Avalonia must have triggered the younger members of the council to agree on this.

14979135237_d4454321c8_c.jpg

"Captain, set course to the coast. Were going to pay to the Johannson brothers a visit. I'm sick of waiting"

"Yes general! Set sail towards the coast men!"

The men cheered. The sea isn't a good place for a dwarf. Ground and rock beneath their feet is what they want!

14979081808_4a23385036_c.jpg

Adummim was right, his brother had no patience. He had already entered the mine which already reached Avalonia. While he entered, he doubted if he did the right thing. First off all, his brother wouldn't be happy about his choice. And above that he risked to be banned from the council. But even worse could be the reactions from Chorian and the rest of Mitgardia towards his actions. He looked at his man. All eager to strike down their enemies.

"Forward men, let's kill those drow!"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

credits: flesh by Ecclesiastes, yellow by kabel

Oooh, this is going to be interesting! My lands lie right on the border, so I guess I'll be seeing some action coming up... And great chapter guys, the builds look sweet! I love seeing the dwarves get some spotlight time, they're pretty cool.

I'm sure you're one of those kids that sneak into their parents' bedroom to check out what present are hidden there. Well, guess you'll have to be patient like everybody else ...

Dude, it says "prologue" and not "start building this very instant" in the topic title!!!

I'm loving the dwarves! Glad I picked up a few from ebay recently :grin: I think I'm going to need them for more than just my own storyline soon.

Ooh, infiltration! Can't wait to see where this will go! Awesome builds too, both of you! :classic:

Really great builds, this story is getting quite intriguing. I didn't expect such a meddlesome course of action from the dwarves' government!

Excellent way to get folks excited, this is a seriously epic story and series of builds. Stunning presentation, this will definitely take a few reads/looks to truly appreciate. I love the idea of a sneak attack against the Drow using their own sinister methods, and the dilemma/desperation of fielding weapons from the dwarven ancestors again in battle. Wonderful work guys!

Edited by MassEditor

I do love these builds (especially the ship) but still think having one build be normal sized dwarves and the next being tall dwarves is unnecessarily confusing. Too late now, of course, but there it is. I am starting to wonder if this won't end up being too similar to the Avalonia challenge but I'm excited to see how it will be different since I know it will be.

Hahaha I see what you did there. Cuz antagonists are "bad" and you said the wrong word and now your "bad" could be you're bad and, well, I'll shut up now. :P

Really nice prologue builds and story! I'm staying tuned for more of this (and keep my fingers crossed I will have time to build when the actual challenge happens).

Antagonists. :P

A matter of perspective I suppose :wink:

Really nice prologue builds and story! I'm staying tuned for more of this (and keep my fingers crossed I will have time to build when the actual challenge happens).

A matter of perspective I suppose :wink:

Gideon revealing his true colours?

Gideon revealing his true colours?

Not at all!! I was just referring to that the Drow had been called protagonists by a Nocturnian :wink: