Sign in to follow this  
YellowCorvette

Will there be any UCS-sized City sets?

Although I don't buy much City sets, I also agree that the sets looks great. But one thing that bother me about the building sets in City is there's only a half of the building. Do you think that it'll be nice to having a whole building rather than a half? And also, since most themes has sets that have more than 900 pieces like DC Superheroes, Star Wars, Marvel Superheroes and Technic, will you think that City also needs some UCS-sized sets like a massive police station that as big like the 10179 Millennium Falcon? (Just UCS-sized, not a proper UCS set)

You could consider the modular buildi gs as city ucs, a lot of people combine them with city, though i think it looks wrong. City cars and most buildings are a bit lackluster in comparison.

Personally, I think Sven F already has it correct. The modular builds are essentially UCS city builds. OK, there aren't vehicles... but then... I don't think a 2000 piece lorry is really then classed as a 'city lorry'. Nor could it really be used with ANY city layout, as it just wouldn't be in scale.

The Ferarri truck, ~I think is absolutely perfect for what could be considered a usable UCS style vehicle, as, while it is still small and suitable with minifigs, it is an excellently designed and detailed lorry that looks to be just the right size as well.

The modular builds are that higher step than typical city stuff. They are fully enclosed, they have highly detailed interiors/exteriors, with intricate techniques. Not to mention, they go extremely well with other modulars, and city stuff works well to compliment them (rather than modulars complimenting the city stuff, which it doesn't).

That wasn't all my point. What I mean is why there's no Lego City sets that has more than 900 pieces and why the building sets in City are only a half of the building.

Because they are for children specifically. Children need easy access and use their imagination therefore don't need a fully enclosed set. Considering children are the main focus, they need to keep the price point as low as possible, so that the sets are not only affordable for their parents to buy, but potentially within reach of the kids to buy if they save up enough pocket/birthday/christmas money. The sets will NEED to have great value for money, and so will need as much in the set to give as much playability.

4 walls and a roof with high detailed exteriors for a building gives great details, but that doesn't maximise playability/cost ratio. 1 house front, and 2 vehicles with some furniture/gimmicky traps, do.

Modulars will more than likely be the closest City gets to having UCS. UCS is essentially for adults. City is pretty much specifically for children. The 2 are at complete opposite ends of the spectrum, within the same theme, offering literally, the opposite of what the other offers.

900 pieces gives plenty affordability and playability to those it is aimed at. Need more than 900 pieces for the set? Buy the entire theme. They are all designed so that every set in a theme meshes together excellently. Look at all the Arctic stuff from recent. If you owned every set and put them together, it looks like one massive set. But how many parents would ACTUALLY buy it if it was just one massive and now, expensive, set? Much fewer I can guarantee. As I can also guarantee that not every child/parent that bought a set from the Arctic theme bought every set available to it.

City is specifically intended for Children so it does not need any UCS sets.

I also think we have enough UCS sets. In my view The Modulars do act as UCS sets for the City anyway.

If you particularly want to "finish" any of the City buildings you can buy 2 sets or more and put them together yourself.

I also consider modulars to be de-facto "UCS" City sets. Also, the new Fairground theme in the CREATOR Expert line seems to fit the bill (one set is a truck that has 1700 pieces, LEGO 10244). Plus other UCS sets isn't exactly in scale with their Walmart/TRU-shelf brethren; Case in point, 10225 R2D2, 76023 Tumbler, 76042 Helicarrier.

You should just have to make do with the modulars. Lego will never release expensive city sets that fall out of the normal city line. Building will always be 'half'

The police headquarters and station look like the best we'll get, unfortunately.

But it could still work out if the model is a four-walled building with a roof and all, but with the ability to split in several areas, like a super dollhouse.

There could still be doors, rooms, garages, etc.

The police headquarters and station look like the best we'll get, unfortunately.

But it could still work out if the model is a four-walled building with a roof and all, but with the ability to split in several areas, like a super dollhouse.

There could still be doors, rooms, garages, etc.

Hmm... you mean similar to this: http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Changing-Seasons-31038?fromListing=listing ?

Or this: http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Mountain-Hut-31025?fromListing=listing ?

Or this: http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Bike-Shop-Caf%C3%A9-31026?fromListing=listing ?

Hmmm yeah... it would be cool if they did something like it...

:wink:

Hmmm yeah... it would be cool if they did something like it...

That, but bigger? Ehh yeah, but maybe with a feature to flip and split.

Edited by gamejutzu