For the competition I decided to make a hybrid. A hybrid of the usuall offroad machines I'm familliar with and water vehicles which i'm totally unfamilliar with.

Here's the reslut:

p1170840.jpg

Its a bit underdetailed, because any more weight on top causes it to be unstable in water.

The same gears that power the wheels also turn the propellers in the back. The vehicle has skid steer drive and swimming ability.

p1170841.jpg

Notice the gears and propellers are half a stud offset to keep them from jamming.

All wheel drive is needed in order to get out of the water. Its done via a combination of 24 and 40 tooth gears.

p1170842.jpg

I also made a digital model in LDD:

amph.png

You can download it here

I DO NOT TAKE NAY RESPONSEBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO THE MODEL DUE TO WATER.

The final result works in water thanks to the 6 wheels to keep it above water and the low weight, but its only suitable for still water.

p1170844.jpg

Its a good proof of concept though!

Also a short video, matey!

Nice!

Simple but efficient!

but does not enter the water !!?!? watching the video I got chills! *oh2*

Edited by Zaiocrit

Nice!

Simple but efficient!

but does not enter the water !!?!? watching the video I got chills! *oh2*

Sure it enters water at 0:55

I think it looks good - and it clearly works! I do wonder if it would be possible with either smaller submerged prop(s) or with no probs at all?

Did you try it without the props?

I know some real-life 6x6 amphibs get all their in-water propulsion from the wheels.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough Technic to try it myself! :tongue:

Cheers

Rog

yesterday when i saw the vid on youtube, i knew that this will be a entry for the contest.

i love this cute thing

Looks very good, does it lean slightly to one side for some reason in the water?

Have u tryed using lithium batteries saves a lot of weight!

Another interesting and simple model that I like. When I was looking at pictures I found nickname for your vehicle - it could be called "toothed penguin" because front of vehicle looks like bird head and it contains many gears with lots of teeth... :wink:

This thing is awesome. I saw one of these on top gear a while ago it didn't have props tho the wheels were enough to move it in the water. Good job :)

Thanks guys! I dont know why it leans on one side a bit, but as long as its in still water water cannot come to the motors. I also named it Pingu (unofficially) as it DOES look like a beak and a white belly!

I DO NOT TAKE NAY RESPONSEBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO THE MODEL DUE TO WATER.

The final result works in water thanks to the 6 wheels to keep it above water and the low weight, but its only suitable for still water.

The video shows it however in not-so-still water. Have you damaged any parts yet?

Awesome model anyway! :thumbup:

Nice Awesome creation, Zblj! It's not all days that you see a floating technic creation, especially one that has electrical parts as well, that takes "blocks"! Have you considered using the bigger, (presumably) more floatable cargo ship chassis?

Thanks guys! I dont know why it leans on one side a bit, but as long as its in still water water cannot come to the motors.

If I observed correctly, both propellers turn to the same side, right? I know that mono-engined propeller planes tend to twist to one side because of the engine rotation, perhaps that is what's happening here? Try making one of the propellers turn in the opposite direction...

I didnt damage any parts ( :tongue: ) I cant use contra rotating propellers, as Lego doesnt make them. Bigger hull would be nice, but I dont have any :sceptic: Bigger hull + RC motors would ba awesome though!

I just love it, it is a 2 in 1 rc...thing. But it looks like it will one day flood with water as it leans pretty badly (in rough water), but it is still cool.