5) 6970 Beta 1 command base

6970-1.jpg

6) 6971 Inter galactic command base

6971-1.jpg

7) 6983 Ice station Odessey

6983-1.jpg

8) 6987 Message Intercept Base

6987-1.jpg

What about the spyruis one, or the original CS one with the raised baseplate? Mine would go to the spyruis one though for sentimental reasons

What about the spyruis one, or the original CS one with the raised baseplate? Mine would go to the spyruis one though for sentimental reasons

a classic space station with a raised baseplate? perhaps you're referring to this:

6988-1.jpg

that's blacktron 2. CS never had raised baseplates....

yeah i didn't add the Spyrrius station and the blacktron 2 to limit the options a bit, or in the end, you get a poll with 1 vote for each... more or less :-$

i voted for the message intercept base... what a beauty

Edited by snefroe1

The only ones I own are the Spyrius base and 6971. I prefer 6971 because of the nice design, rocket transport and the small vehicles. There are some of the bricks of mine that are broken (A foot, one of the base plates and one of the 6x6 yellow plates), but it is still one of my favorite old space sets (The best being the M-Tron mega core Magnetizer)

The most interesting base has to be 6987. It has some great functionality while I never quite understood the use of the four black pins instead of transparent red ones on 6955. This one actually one of the reason why it didn't gather much interest with me.

a classic space station with a raised baseplate? perhaps you're referring to this:

6988-1.jpg

that's blacktron 2. CS never had raised baseplates....

yeah i didn't add the Spyrrius station and the blacktron 2 to limit the options a bit, or in the end, you get a poll with 1 vote for each... more or less :-$

i voted for the message intercept base... what a beauty

Well, by "raised baseplate" I meant like in this set

However it was white with transblue panels and really tall...can't find it on peeron though

Ah well, there have been so many, you're right. Listing them all could have made it impossible :-D

6958 Android base

Since I remeber when I played the original Lego Racer's and that bases was one of the secret ways on the andriod's track.

Edited by Fordo

You left off the MegaCore Magnetizer, which is basically the M-Tron's mobile base. (even has the large transparent dome window, which chracterizes bases of the time)

Of whats pictured though, 6971 Inter galactic command base seems to most interesting. Mainly because it has some semblance of a building with a purpose; with what I can imagine is an Interior where crewmen might live.

So many of the later bases are nothing but a rocket, a big window, and some computer things, with maybe a trap door gimmik or something. No sense of anything practical... I'll be happy when I see a base with bunk beds and a mess hall... and an airlock would be nice.

Combine the features of the aquaraiders base, with the hospital sets... Good designs exist, just not all in one place.

You left off the MegaCore Magnetizer, which is basically the M-Tron's mobile base. (even has the large transparent dome window, which chracterizes bases of the time)

Of whats pictured though, 6971 Inter galactic command base seems to most interesting. Mainly because it has some semblance of a building with a purpose; with what I can imagine is an Interior where crewmen might live.

So many of the later bases are nothing but a rocket, a big window, and some computer things, with maybe a trap door gimmik or something. No sense of anything practical... I'll be happy when I see a base with bunk beds and a mess hall... and an airlock would be nice.

Combine the features of the aquaraiders base, with the hospital sets... Good designs exist, just not all in one place.

i agree, the quality went down after the blacktron 1, message intercept base, which i loved; not only has it a large platform, it also has these hidden corners and hallways, stuff that i really loved when i was young...

no, i didn't include the magnetiser, because i consider that to be a mobile base, very much like the insectoids base...

The Message Intercept Base! *sweet*

I just love this huge station. *y*

Inter Galactic Command Base. It's just so *wub*

a tie for second with the Message Intercept Base and the Space Lock-up Isolation Base.

a tie for second with the Message Intercept Base and the Space Lock-up Isolation Base.

the isolation lock-up is kind of a weird design though. first, this set was a US only set for whatever reason, but i think it misses the grandure of the stations of the past, and IMO, was quite a setback compared to the blacktron 1 station, it's predecessor...

I own about 550 official Legosets, maybe 6 of those are space.... Never interested much in space, but I like some of the bases, that's why I voted for the first one in the list, classic all the way.

:-)

Edited by simonwillems

I own about 550 official Legosets, maybe 6 of those are space.... Never intersted much in space, but I like some of the bases, that's why I voted for the first one in the list, classic all the way.

:-)

yeah... 920 isn't the largest station ever and most definetely not the most sophisticated, but highly popular and expensive these days. a boxed set easily reaches 80-100 euro...

I voted for the "6987 Message Intercept Base". IMO this is a really nice space set.

-Aredhel

Well, by "raised baseplate" I meant like in this set

However it was white with transblue panels and really tall...can't find it on peeron though

Ah well, there have been so many, you're right. Listing them all could have made it impossible :-D

That sounds like the 6972:

6972-1.jpg

Which is nice, but doesn't seem to have a lot of workspace.

Looks more like a launch platform.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon of the Message Intercept Base. *wub*

Great looks, great playability and it's effing huge. (in Lego standards).

The following sets are being sorely neglected:

6953-1.1170049748.jpg

the Cosmic Laser Launcher

6930-1.1170480508.jpg

and the Space Supply Station.

Recoginzing that it may be off-topic for a Space forum, I'd like to nominate the

Hydro Crystalation Station (gosh, that's a stupid name. )

6199-1.1167276341.jpg

and the Neptune Discovery Lab.

6195-1.1167276363.jpg

The following sets are being sorely neglected:

Recoginzing that it may be off-topic for a Space forum, I'd like to nominate the

Hydro Crystalation Station (gosh, that's a stupid name. )

i ignored them because i wanted to limit the options a bit...

no doubt the stingray set and the aquanaut set were waaaay better than any life on mars or marsmission base, but as you said, they're not space :-)

no doubt the stingray set and the aquanaut set were waaaay better than any life on mars or marsmission base, but as you said, they're not space :-)

How can you be so harsh? :'-(

You know, there

How can you be so harsh? :'-(

You know, there

Edited by snefroe1

Yeah, I know my love to that station is just a bit weird.... :-P

But for some strange reasons those LoM sets

Easy choice, 483/920 Alpha-1 Rocket Base my Nr. 1.

I have such good memories about this set.

During my youth, I could play with it for hours and days.

That rocket was so incredible fascinating.

Also the box and instructions look very good. Just look at those hills and that planet in the background. Much better than all the newer space sets (in my opinion).

I voted andriod base.I wish this post had come on earlier.I recently recieved a big box of legos.A lot of the minifigs were space and mecha.(Probably 50 of them)At the time I didn't care for them so I gave them to my spoiled cousins who felt they had a right to my legos.Now I sure wish I'd kept em'.