CM4Sci

Lego CUUSOO Firefly Serenity Playset Reaches 10k!

SerenityPasses.png

Although I have no idea what this is, I was supporter #9,999.

So..discuss!

-Sci

Well done. Love this set and I think it has a decent shot at being made. Biggest question mark for me is whether Lego have a size limit.currently produced sets are quite small

Looks like another license... I don't want that! All I want is for the Modular Western Town and/or Space Marines to reach 10k by the next review.

Out of the recent projects to hit 10 thousand the only one that I think has a chance is the BTTF Delorean.

Well the license to a flop movie spinoff from a failed TV show has to be cheap, I guess. :sceptic:

I'm pretty sure they could just make this by rearranging the bricks in the Quinjet set. Double Joss Whedon for the price of one.

Be interesting to see if it happens. I know a lot of people think one-off licenses are too much hassle, but when you look at all the tiny little niche companies that have licenses for every kind of Firefly/Serenity mechandise under the sun... the barrier to entry really can't be that high.

Well the license to a flop movie spinoff from a failed TV show has to be cheap, I guess. :sceptic:

You would not BELIEVE how big the fanbase for Firefly is on the internet, but I don't see this happening, I don't think the series/movie's themes fit with Lego's primary demographic... It's a very nice model of the ship though!

I think we should just have one topic titled "Lego Cuusoo Licensed Sets To Reach 10K", at this rate there should be quite a few projects posted there a week...

Eh...

There are way to many random space ships, like this and the EVE Rifter, getting 10,000 votes by a small group of devoted fans, but deserving ideas like Modular Western Town and Space Marines are stuck under the 10,000 :hmpf:

I hope LEGO makes this, since I'm a huge Firefly fan. If only Fox would revive the show...

You would not BELIEVE how big the fanbase for Firefly is on the internet, but I don't see this happening, I don't think the series/movie's themes fit with Lego's primary demographic... It's a very nice model of the ship though!

Its not that much worse than some of the other licensed themes LEGO has made. It doesnt even have very much cussing, discounting the Chinese stuff (I'm not certain if that is actual cussing even, since I dont know any Chinese). The shooting and other stuff isn't much more violent than Star Wars or any of the other stuff I think.

Edited by brickmack

I think we should just have one topic titled "Lego Cuusoo Licensed Sets To Reach 10K", at this rate there should be quite a few projects posted there a week...

Hahaha! :laugh: So true. I just hope that My Little Pony doesn't get to 10,000 before the Western Town, Vampire GT, Motorized Tachi, or the Space Marines. Maybe the FOL community will get big enough on Cuusoo to be a major deciding factor on projects, a system of checks and balances. :wink:

I would. It has a hardcore fanbase like a lot of niche sci-fi shows. It was still a financial disaster though, so I reckon they'd not charge too much in licensing fees to TLG as it might just bring them a bit more cash.

Although I have no idea what this is, I was supporter #9,999.

So..discuss!

-Sci

I hope you voted on it because you liked the model... :look:

I'm not too excited about this project. Are people supporting these projects actually because they like them, or just because they are licensed? I'm beginning to change my mind with this last flow of licensed projects... :look:

Looks like another license... I don't want that! All I want is for the Modular Western Town and/or Space Marines to reach 10k by the next review.

Out of the recent projects to hit 10 thousand the only one that I think has a chance is the BTTF Delorean.

Totally agree. I would love to see the Fire Train make it too.

Its not that much worse than some of the other licensed themes LEGO has made. It doesnt even have very much cussing, discounting the Chinese stuff (I'm not certain if that is actual cussing even, since I dont know any Chinese). The shooting and other stuff isn't much more violent than Star Wars or any of the other stuff I think.

Hey, that is what I thought about Shaun of the Dead too :wink:

It is a nice ship, but I don't think i'd get it. I would rather a TLG line for something generic for the next space theme, like the space marines.

Ohh, hey, another niche project that I'm not going to get. It's a really nice MOC, and I'm happy for the fans if Lego does decide to produce this, but, like with the others aside from Zelda, I'm not excited about it in the slightest. Like plenty of others have previously stated, I'm bored of licensed sets from Cuusoo. I certainly can't blame the fans for the support, and I certainly can't blame Cuusoo, but man would it be nice to see an original idea get through...

That's kinda childish don't you think?

-Omi

-Omi

Sorry if you misinterpreted that. What I meant was, another license but still no original content is kinda disappointing. I'm happy for the Zelda, Firefly, and BTTF fans, and I hope new themes bring new parts. Who knows? Maybe I'll grow to like one of them.

It'd just be great to see a completely original idea (Western Town, Firefighter Train) reach 10k too.

Ohh, hey, another niche project that I'm not going to get. It's a really nice MOC, and I'm happy for the fans if Lego does decide to produce this, but, like with the others aside from Zelda, I'm not excited about it in the slightest. Like plenty of others have previously stated, I'm bored of licensed sets from Cuusoo. I certainly can't blame the fans for the support, and I certainly can't blame Cuusoo, but man would it be nice to see an original idea get through...

Yea. This one is a pretty cool design, but there are a lot of really good original MOCs that don't have even close to 10000. Unfortunately they just dont have big fanbases...

-Omi

Favoring originality is childish? I don't think so. That really doesn't even make sense. I'll jump all over the BTTF DeLorean if it's made but I don't like the others and that's like my opinion man. :laugh:

Favoring originality is childish? I don't think so.

No.

But this is: "I don't want that! All I want is"

-Omi

Isn't that almost the entire point of cuusoo though? To support niche sets that appeal to a relatively small audience. Enough to justify a small production run but not a full line like their other sets.

If you don't like it, carry on supporting the projects you do like, and perhaps spread the word to help get support - like those existing supported projects have.

No.

-Omi

That's how I phrased it, but I meant to say, "I won't be purchasing that, all I'll be buying is"

Well that Eve Online ship looks bad but this one is very well made. I hope it makes into a real set.

I was going to say something about the Winchester, but then Scruacarrot wrote:

Hey, that is what I thought about Shaun of the Dead too :wink:

There's a boatload of differences, of course, but the fact that Shaun of the Dead was tongue-in-cheek comedy that parodied zombie movies didn't save it; Firefly - the TV show - was fairly mild. Serenity, the movie, was not. Maybe not a lot of cursing, but a lot of fighting, dead people, and "ravers" to keep it from being substantially different from the TV show. Depends on how they view it, I suppose - based off the TV show or the movie. The movie was more of a compressed version of the main story arc for the entire series rather than a continuation.

I would. It has a hardcore fanbase like a lot of niche sci-fi shows. It was still a financial disaster though, so I reckon they'd not charge too much in licensing fees to TLG as it might just bring them a bit more cash.

No, it really wasn't. It wasn't profitable, but not exactly a disaster, either. If you include DVD rentals and sales, it was barely profitable, in fact. I agree it's not exactly the kind of blockbuster that TLG would want to take a shot on, but like Shaun of the Dead, it's got it's cult following - and the model is just a cool ship and very well done.

I have to agree here... first of all, if you don't like it, don't vote for it or buy it, but complaining when something reaches 10k because it was licensed is just... I don't know... comes off as really whiny. I don't want to offend anyone here, it's all just opinion, but frankly, licensed or not, if it's cool and I like it then I like it. It really doesn't matter if it's licensed. I probably won't buy Zelda... borderline BTTF; I would buy this, though, given a remotely reasonable price.

Look to see TLG raise the voting requirements. At first it was only like 1000, right? I don't think the first two models got anywhere near 10k because there were hardly any Cuusoo users at that point. I don't even recall hearing about Cuusoo until the second model "won." I remember the first model being released and just thought it was some Japanese promo that wasn't available here. They're going to have to raise voting requirements to be some proportion of active (not total) members.