I think, it would make sense to open a new thread for the Unimog 8110 U-400, that includes all the MOCs, changes, improvements on the Unimog. It should also contain all the new attachments, equipments, that people build. It should show their ideas and what they are creating for this cool set. I am looking forward to see your creations! :thumbup::classic:

I'll start today. I implemented a pneumatic driven cargo bed. It is driven by the original motorized pump and works pretty well. The lifting angle could be better. So there is still room for inmprovments. :wink:

5924938489_df89bc14c3_z.jpg

For more pictures of this MOC plesae vistit my Flickr-page or (after publishing) my Brickshelf-folder.

Regards,

Gerhard

It was also my first thought. Sideways it would make perfect sense.

A great MOD though! :thumbup:

I do not want to appear unpleasant, but I don't understand your modification.

Indeed, with the crane on the back, unloading of the bucket should be on the side.

Have you tried to change the cylinder position to be in line with reality ?

Of course, with the crane in the back it does not make sense. A least you should not lift it up when loaded... :laugh:

But remove the crane and it is ok.

It was just a rainy Sunday afternoon and I did not spent too much time on that.

And I also wanted to read your comments on this so that I can improve it.

I'll think about and try to make it sideways.

Regards,

Gerhard

Grit box

Well here is what i made for Davidmull but any one can biuld it if thay want to :sweet: i hope it fits as i dont have one to try it out on :blush:

DSC00275.jpg

Want to build it?

!! Get Building !!

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I'm planing a soda/sand/salt-hopper plus a application wheel. This will fit nicely with the snow plough.

It will be the end of August before I have a hope to be ready.

You're right. But as I said: room for improvement! :laugh:

Next challenge, make it possible to tilt to both sides! :classic:

Hi,

I'm almost done designing two mods for the 8110 set in LDD. One is a multiple direction tilting bed with opening sides. It can easily be changed by moving some pins form left to right to rear tilt. It also has a support for mounting a crane. It might need some modification to fit the 8110, but the basic principle is good.

The other mod is a crane for the mount. This will be a three section crane with a telescopic top section (pneumatic) that can extend from 24 studs to 38 studs. The design for the telescopic part is 90% done, just need to find a way to run the tubes and the wire for the hook. The rest of the crane will closely resemble the 8258 Crane truck, but modified for pneumatic.

Both these mods will in the end be part of a larger rebuild of the 8110 into an U1650 or an U2100. They are often equipped with a HIAB telescopic crane, either rear or middle mounted.

I hope to be able to build a support frame, containing a crane, a bed and 4 support legs, that can be mounted either with the crane against the cabin, or hanging in the rear. It should be possible to disconnect it from the Mog when the support legs are extended, and then just drive the Mog out of it. It could then be mounted to an external compressor (typically transported in the bed) to work independently from the Mog (Just like the real thing; the Mog is used to deliver self powered equipment to remote sites).

I'll post some pics of the progress thus far as soon as possible.

Edit: I've built the telescopic part of the crane to test the design, but still have a few kinks to work out...

-Espen D-

Edited by Nazgarot

Hi,

I've finally gotten around to take a few pics of the work I've done so far on the HIAB crane mod for the 8110. I've uploaded them to my brickshelf gallery, and included some information.

I wanted to make a three section telescopic crane that was as compact as possible to resemble the real HIAB cranes used on many mogs. I managed to make the main structure 4 x 4 studs, with some bracing increasing it to 4 x 5 studs. The only thing i don't like is that the pneumatic cylinders look so bulky... We NEED a new longer cylinder that has a smaller diameter!

To make the telescopic function extend 14 studs (24 to 38 total length) I used a chain with two belt pieces to lock it to the first and third part of the boom. The second part has a set of gears to run along. I chose this rather than using thread, like in the 8421 Mobile Crane, both because it would be harder to fit, and because it would make it more mechanically satisfying to me. It was also a good trial run for a forklift I'm planning on building.

For the extender function it was never an option to use a gear system, as I want to keep it as close to a real HIAB crane as possible. I just wish TLG would come up with a longer more sleek looking pneumatic cylinder. Let's hope pneumatic is back for good and that TLG will make more cylinders and a return to center RC valve.

If you look at the pics from LDD in my gallery you will see where i connected the belt parts marked with pink axles.

14072011264.jpg

14072011260.jpg

14072011262.jpg

And the original:

18594-73169-71f9.jpg

406unimog_crane2.jpg

With wire and hook:

14072011267.jpg

14072011268.jpg

More is still to come.

-ED-

EDIT: I've re-sized the pictures, enabled deep links, and uploaded a couple more to my Brickshelf gallery as well as the .lxf file from LDD. You are all welcome to use it.

Edited by Nazgarot
Pictures to links

Very nice moc,where did u get the joiner/housing to joint the 2 cylinders iv never seen that before?

Very nice moc,where did u get the joiner/housing to joint the 2 cylinders iv never seen that before?

It was a part used for it's look in the 8275 Bulldozer. In this set it had no real function. I believe it was first released as part of a crane, and then for the specific purpose of holding two cylinders together.

-ED-

Hi again,

Here's two LDD sketches of the multiple tilt bed I've come up with. You change tilting direction manually by moving the tilt cylinder, and connecting/disconnecting pins locking the tilt. It has 4 latches made of the "6536 Axle and Pin Connector", and by connecting them to a crane you can lift the bed to remove/re-install the cylinder. When tilting you can remove pins locking the side-panels to let them open as the bed tilts. This is possible for all three tilting directions, left, right and rear.

The bed is connected to a sub frame with mount for a crane. When I'm done it will also have 4 support legs, but these wil be added after i get hold of a 8110 (I'm planning on buying three... One to keep original, one to modify into a U-1650, and one for parts). The frame assembly is not done, and as it is sketched it does not fit a pneumatic cylinder, but the basic idea is sound. I'll start test building it in a few days to work out some of the kinks in the sub frame assembly, but I believe the bed itself is close to perfect.

lddscreenshot31.png

lddscreenshot39.png

If anyone has any ideas or comments for the sub frame assembly I would be happy to hear from you.

-ED-

EDIT: Re-sized the pictures, restored deep links, and uploaded an update to the construction to make pneumatic cylinders fit.

Edited by Nazgarot
Pictures to links

EDIT: Anyone know how I can re-size those pictures?

Hi Nazgarot! You can find a tutorial in how to resize pictures here. As these pictures are stupendously large, I've converted them to links until you've resized them (maximum 800x600 px) and then you can edit the post to put the deeplinks back.

Thanks!

I'm still trying to think of something to make from my tractor and log loader for a front attachment :hmpf_bad:

Maybe these Lego City scale models will inspire us all:

*Snipped pics*

I'm really liking the mower attachment and the safety sign crash thing in the back. And I guess someone is bound to make a tow bar/hitch for the mog.

I would really like to see a working snow blower for it. I'm working on one myself, but have a problem finding a propeller design powerful enough to throw real snow. I would be happy to see others taking the challenge and make one.

Sorry about the small picture, but it was the only one I had at hand.

reg_schultesnowblowerused3small.jpg_thumb.jpg

-ED-

EDIT: Included a picture to let you know what I'm talking about. (I also updated my previous posts with re-sized pictures, and a few new ones including fixes to the designs.

Edited by Nazgarot

I just build the snowplow with existing parts from my collection. But I was wondering about this "fine-tuning" function. What is it for? At least for my Unimog the shield did not touch the ground even when I "fine-tuned" the shield as low as possible. I checked the instructions, I did not make anything wrong... :sceptic:

However: I just modified the snowlpow a little. Added a third panel on the top row. IMHO it looks much better now. I don't know why TLG choosed the solution with only two panels. Then I removed that fine-tuning stuff, lowered the whole shield by one stud at the attachment-points. And now the shield touches the ground and even releses the suspension a little when fully lowered. I also changed the tilting angle a little. It tilts now more to the right than to the left. And I added two little support-wheels instead of the two skiding rails.

Here are my photos at flickr.

But do NOT think too much about the green panels! :wacko: But guess which model I disassembled for that! :laugh:

5959042366_dc31b669d8_z.jpg

Regards,

Gerhard

Edited by tripletschiee

Very nice ,I think black panels would look nice,what do u think of the unimog overall?has it been worth the wait?have u any plans to motorise it ?

A working snow blower would be amazing! Another cool attachment would be a grass mowing arm seen here

mowers.jpg

tim