Sign in to follow this  
Toa_Of_Justice

Samurai X's Power Suit

Update (March 14 30, 2012): I have ordered my model, and will post have posted real pictures sometime in April (or earlier if possible).

Update (March 11, 2012): Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Due to a flaw in my model spotted by EB member Nick-Name, I am extending my suggestion deadline to March 14, 2012. (See the most current version of this model here.)

Samurai X (a.k.a., Nya) is one of my most favorite Ninjago characters. The design of her minifigure is awesome. I thought it was neat that she was getting her own mech in the summer (as seen at Toyfair), but at the same time, I thought her mech didn't look quite right to me, so I built my own power suit for her.

Click any image to enlarge it (except the 5th one).

sxps1.png

Front

sxps2.png

Sword side

sxps3.png

Rocket side

sxps4.png

Back (with armor plate)

sxps5.png

Top view (no larger image available; I didn't see any sense in making one)

sxps6.png

Cockpit open

Special wallpapers (click each pic for a larger version):

Desert Action

sxps_battle_small.png

Mountain Flight

sxps_flight_small.png

Get the LXF files of this MOC standing, flying, and fighting.

Brickshelf gallery (click "Up" for older versions of this MOC)

My MOC was inspired by the following sets:

9448 Samurai Mech (shoulder pads and overall design)

4528 Green Lantern (head protection)

7711 Sentry (hand rockets)

6227 Breez (leg rockets, twin-bladed sword, and the arm rockets' mount)

Before you ask, I do intend to buy the bricks for this model (sans special effects) via LEGO's online Pick A Brick store. (I already have the minifigure, the windscreen, and a few other pieces.) However, I would like some feedback on the design before I make my purchase and build this MOC in real life, please. Thank you.

I should have real-life pics ready sometime around April (approximately).

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

In the absence of anyone else to say this,

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

:tongue:

All jokes aside, I love this! It's much better than the official set, IMO, and the HF parts give it a sleek look. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the boot jets, they look a little too clunky to me for the general aesthetic of this.

This is one of the best System/Hero Factory combination MOCs I've seen! I'd love to see it constructed for real!

Admittedly, it doesn't look much more like her ride from the show than the set does. I'd like to see a MOC that captured the way the one in the show opens, with "doors" on the front of the vehicle unfolding.

Thanks, both of you! :grin:

In the absence of anyone else to say this,

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/138/246/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

:tongue:

All jokes aside, I love this! It's much better than the official set, IMO, and the HF parts give it a sleek look. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the boot jets, they look a little too clunky to me for the general aesthetic of this.

I see what you mean by the boot jets. I'll try a jetpack on the back instead.

EDIT: How's this?

sxps7.png

^click to enlarge^

LXF File

This is one of the best System/Hero Factory combination MOCs I've seen! I'd love to see it constructed for real!

Me too! :grin: I plan to order it from PAB next week.

Admittedly, it doesn't look much more like her ride from the show than the set does. I'd like to see a MOC that captured the way the one in the show opens, with "doors" on the front of the vehicle unfolding.

My aim with this model was to build something that was mostly different from the official set, while retaining a few key aspects (e.g., the color scheme and the shoulder pads). I think I'll keep my current cockpit design, since I want to use that windscreen. The part in my collection has a slightly bent hinge which prevented it from closing completely on Jay's Storm Fighter (it's been replaced), but I think that defect won't affect this model.

-Toa Of Justice

EDIT 2 (3/5/12): I just saw the real mech in action today, and not only does my new jetpack seem to be more accurate than the previous jet boots, it also seems my cockpit design opens similarly to the one in the TV show. :grin:

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

I see what you mean by the boot jets. I'll try a jetpack on the back instead.

EDIT: How's this?

(snip)

^click to enlarge^

LXF File

Much better. :thumbup:

I would suggest removing the Trans-Orange cones and inverting the rest, however (What I mean by "inverting": Flipping the golden chalices upside-down and attaching the bottom of the rocket to the side of the chalice that is now facing downward)

Much better. :thumbup:

I would suggest removing the Trans-Orange cones and inverting the rest, however (What I mean by "inverting": Flipping the golden chalices upside-down and attaching the bottom of the rocket to the side of the chalice that is now facing downward)

Those cones appear to be trans-orange, but they're actually trans-red. I tried your suggestion in both LDD and real life, and unfortunately, since the other side of the chalice is designed to accept the bottom of a 1x1 round plate/brick (or of a tube in any stud-and-tube plate/brick of at least 2x2 studs), I couldn't make the rocket element connect directly to the chalice in the orientation I had before. Here's what I came up with instead:

sxps8.png

^click to enlarge^

LXF File

Is that better?

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

It looks great now. :thumbup:

Strange, however, that the chalice will not accept the bottom of the rocket in real bricks; I have used it in previous MOCs, and it worked just fine there. :sceptic:

It looks great now. :thumbup:

Strange, however, that the chalice will not accept the bottom of the rocket in real bricks; I have used it in previous MOCs, and it worked just fine there. :sceptic:

Thanks. :classic: Can you show a picture of that please?

-Toa Of Justice

Thanks. :classic: Can you show a picture of that please?

-Toa Of Justice

Sure. I'll be getting shots of a lot of stuff today, I'll post it a little later. :classic:

The 10 days I have allowed for suggestions has passed. I decided that my jetpack design needed one last revamp before ordering. Here is the final version, which I will order and photograph.

sxps10.png

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

I build the mech after your LDD instructions, but the back always falls. You should try to modify the brick that holds the shoulder pads.

I made my own mech and i made a LDD project. The color scheme is exactly like the real one that i made (i didn't have golden pieces)

Hope you like it!

P.S. I will put pictures of my version if you like it!

samurai_x_power_suit_v3.lxf

I build the mech after your LDD instructions, but the back always falls. You should try to modify the brick that holds the shoulder pads.

I made my own mech and i made a LDD project. The color scheme is exactly like the real one that i made (i didn't have golden pieces)

Hope you like it!

P.S. I will put pictures of my version if you like it!

Well, as it turns out, I was away from home for most of today and did not have time to order my model just yet. Thanks for spotting the back flaw. :thumbup: I'll modify my model to fix the back and post it tomorrow.

Personally, I prefer the legs and arms of my version. Also, those red shoulder pads on your version stand out a bit too much to me. Good job otherwise though! :thumbup:

New Deadline for suggestions: March 14, 2012

-Toa Of Justice

EDIT: Yes, pictures of your model would be nice to see! :classic:

EDIT 2: I think I fixed the back. I realized that one of the 1x4 TECHNIC bricks was illegally colliding with the central ball on the torso beam. I changed the entire structure back there, and filled in some gaps at the same time.

I also noticed that the upper arm armor orientation on Nick-Name's model seemed to allow for more flexibility than on my model, so I changed mine to match. In addition, I decided to put back the left arm armor and put the rocket launcher assembly in the left hand.

sxps11.png

sxps12.png

LXF File

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

All right everyone, real pictures are up! :grin:

Click any of the following pictures to enlarge them.

01_front.jpg

02_side_1.jpg

03_side_2.jpg

04_back.jpg

05_pose.jpg

06_snake_killer.jpg

"Run, snakes, run!" :devil:

07_rattlecopter_battle.jpg

"Uh-oh..."

To make the Rattlecopter "fly", I held its tail with my left hand and photographed the scene using my right hand. I tried to make the main rotor spin several times, but by the time my camera decided it was OK to shoot, the rotor stopped spinning... :wacko:

08_cockpit_open.jpg

19_comparison.jpg

Here is Samurai X's Power Suit compared to Hero Recon Team member Faith Stealth Power. More pictures of Faith can be found in this topic. Also, her Brickshelf gallery should be public soon.

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

I decided to take your final version of the model and upgrade it in LDD. I recoloured some stuff and added black claw pieces to the shoulder pads, which I recoloured red. I recoloured the 3 armour pieces gold and that's pretty much all I did...no wait, I also coloured the engine piece on the back gold. That's all I did to it. You like the sound of it?

I decided to take your final version of the model and upgrade it in LDD. I recoloured some stuff and added black claw pieces to the shoulder pads, which I recoloured red. I recoloured the 3 armour pieces gold and that's pretty much all I did...no wait, I also coloured the engine piece on the back gold. That's all I did to it. You like the sound of it?

I can't say yet. :def_shrug: I am interested in your modifications, but I'd like to see the LDD file before I pass judgment, please. :poke: I might be able to take a quick photo of the real version with some of your modifications (provided that I have the right pieces).

Wow, that looks even better in person. :wub:

I agree with you! :thumbup:

-Toa Of Justice