David Thomsen

Inside corner modular building

For a while now I've been concerned about what will happen when they design four corner buildings and form a complete city block. Eventually you'll be forced to start another block. Personally, I want all my modular buildings to be part of the same city block, but the only way to do this and still have corner buildings would be to design a buildling to fit on an inside corner, something like this:

modular1.gif

The problem would be that whereas other modular buildings have one or two sides facing outwards, this design would only have a very narrow piece of architecture in between two large blank walls that are supposed to be hidden next to other modular buildings.

And then I realised that I was assuming this building would be intended to be looked at from the street. What if what is normally the rear wall became the main design?

modular2.gif

Instead of the building 'fronting' onto the pavement, it could front onto a garden. Not only will this enable a more elaborate L or even potentially T shaped block, but they can design a building with something other than grey pavement in front of it. Maybe it could be a residential building with a lawn in front of it, maybe a school with a playground...

Of course, it will still take another four years to make a complete rectangular block if they continue to release one modular building a year, so it isn't an urgent problem... but is it something you would like to see them do, eventually?

I've been thinking about this myself for a long time. As a matter of fact, I've seen a few MOCs like this. We'll just have to wait and see if Lego makes one.

It's not the only way to do it. Buildings can just come down to the one end and have an alley in between. I can't say inside corner buildings are that common. I'm sure this post will be followed by tons of pictures of examples. But I'm not accustomed to them in the cities I've lived in, unless they are part of condominium or apartments complexes.

And I've always imagined my City layout would have all outside corners with roads and intersections stopping them from ever forming a cul de sac.

I hope you find a good solution and I'm not trying to pull the creative rug out from underneath you. I'm sure this will spark a lot of creativity and great design. I just think it's a lot of effort, for little design place, and personally would concentrate my efforts on buildings with greater facade space to design.

Well, I have seen a few "outside" corners, where the buildings are facing out in a square, with a large park, garden or square behind them. Corners with only a small amount of frontage are also around, but I have not seen on personally, only in pictures of places I haven't been. The residential sections of old cities are a hodge-podge of buildings have plenty of examples and even "odder" (I suppose, from a colonial point of view) town planning.

In the old country we weren't as linear...

For a while now I've been concerned about what will happen when they design four corner buildings and form a complete city block. Eventually you'll be forced to start another block. Personally, I want all my modular buildings to be part of the same city block, but the only way to do this and still have corner buildings would be to design a buildling to fit on an inside corner, *SNIP*

I'm going to try this and see how it works. I'll post pictures back to here when I complete it.

Maybe im just acting dumb here,but I dont exactly get what this topic is all about.default_sceptic.gif

Attached is a top-down sample view. Buildings 1, 13, 14 could be Grand Emporium buildings. Buildings 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 15, are Green Grocer/Fire Brigade style modulars. Buildings 6 and 7 are Cafe Corners.

Now, what we're talking about for inside-corner is buildings 9 and 11.

Make sense now?

post-14165-129257832337.gif