HI,

After this set was in the closet for 17 years ( was build once ),,,time came to take it out, clean it and rebuild it...:)

( Photos will be uploaded soon, just waiting for some parts to arrive to complete it...: )

Well, what i noticed is,,,,some parts are milky white color and some parts are white...i am sure this set did not expose to sun otherwise all bricks has to be yellow/milky color. it is not yellow in color .

The white parts are the arches...the rest is milky white

My Question is: is this milky white color is the correct color?.....i tried to take photo but looks white in photos.

Regards

I'm afraid the bricks have gone milky white even in your closet...

Here you can see that all white bricks were the same normal white before: http://www.bricklink...nv.asp?S=6289-1

Thanks for that...but strange for some bricks still White like new!!

Any way to retrieve the white color of these bricks?

Thanks

Weird that a set from 1996 could have aged so much in box. I am guessing by the fact is not complete it saw some play and display?

Most of my 1989 stuff is "dulled" and not sparkling white like new sets. But IMHO it adds to the nostalgia of the set.

So short answer to your question, the bricks are old, Lego does change some colouring between modern and old. If you buy new to replace it will be bright brilliant white.

As for reversing the age. I don't know of any anti-aging cremes for Lego pirate_laugh2.gif

AB

Edited by Admiral Blockbeard

Weird that a set from 1996 could have aged so much in box. I am guessing by the fact is not complete it saw some play and display?

Most of my 1989 stuff is "dulled" and not sparkling white like new sets. But IMHO it adds to the nostalgia of the set.

So short answer to your question, the bricks are old, Lego does change some colouring between modern and old. If you buy new to replace it will be bright brilliant white.

As for reversing the age. I don't know of any anti-aging cremes for Lego pirate_laugh2.gif

AB

The ship is complete , only missing parts are some black plates. The white one are all there..this made me little confused.

You r true in keeping these factor as a nostalgia. ..:-).

Changing these vintage bricks to new will destroy the fact which is old and Gold..;-)

I will keep them plus they are not that much annoying...very little change..

I reckon, the bricks must go into color change due to age as per Lego discussion in there forum.

Also what make me surprised too is, these bricks still strong and fits tight..:-)

Thanks for the advice!

Regards

Edited by VintageLegoEra

The clutch power tends to stay the same. I believe the discoloring is from a flame retardant they used to use in the plastics. So white are most noticeable, but most older colors will show signs of discoloration. I believe you can use oxyclean/peroxide mixture to make them white again. I haven't tried it myself, but there is a discussion ongoing in the general discussion forum that talks about it in depth. I have been meaning to attempt to clean my old parts like that, just haven't yet.

The clutch power tends to stay the same. I believe the discoloring is from a flame retardant they used to use in the plastics. So white are most noticeable, but most older colors will show signs of discoloration. I believe you can use oxyclean/peroxide mixture to make them white again. I haven't tried it myself, but there is a discussion ongoing in the general discussion forum that talks about it in depth. I have been meaning to attempt to clean my old parts like that, just haven't yet.

Excellent...this what i was looking for..but after thinking a lot,,i decided to leave them as it is...plus these bricks are more than 20 years old so we dont know how they look like after the treatment...also,,not bad to have a sign of discolor which reference to old Era...;)

and thanks for the thread on cleaning the Bricks..:)

Regards

Edited by VintageLegoEra

OK,,,here are some photos of my 6289..it is 99% complete except for the sails..:)

I am very happy to see the results of his as it look like if it was unboxed now....just like New everything is great..:)..

you also can see the white bricks, not that yellow..so i will not risk these brick into a peroxide treatment at least for now..:)

i am planning to store this in big black bag till i get my self a nice display case.

Enjoy the photos and stay tuned for final look!

20140331_181832-1_zpscf3d6940.jpg

20140331_181910-1_zpsaa631958.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g464/TamiyaEra/20140331_181942-1_zps7f096524.jpg

20140331_181924_zpsf41045c5.jpg

20140331_181954-1_zps9b3a8be5.jpg

Edited by Capt. Stabbin
Removed oversize pics

Ship looks like it is in great condition. Bummer it has missing sails though, they can be worth up to 33% of the ships worth! (when sold individually).

A few things I noticed that I haven't before thanks to your photos. (I hadn't given much thought to 6289, preferring 6286 and 6285).

1 - the 4th cannon area toward the rear. cannon.gif

2 - the front ratlines are "hanging at the bottom!"

I think your white bricks are in a good condition compared to what I had expected. I have many worse bricks in my Eldorado Fortress - Although they add a charm to it like nothing else! pirate_blush.gif

AB

Ship looks like it is in great condition. Bummer it has missing sails though, they can be worth up to 33% of the ships worth! (when sold individually).

A few things I noticed that I haven't before thanks to your photos. (I hadn't given much thought to 6289, preferring 6286 and 6285).

1 - the 4th cannon area toward the rear. cannon.gif

2 - the front ratlines are "hanging at the bottom!"

I think your white bricks are in a good condition compared to what I had expected. I have many worse bricks in my Eldorado Fortress - Although they add a charm to it like nothing else! pirate_blush.gif

AB

CHeers buddy....Welcome!

well mate,,i didn't get you regarding the : point 1 and 2?..:)

The sails are not missing...they are here and in Excellent condition.

I am just waiting for 1x10 black plate to arrive and it will be finished.

True,, i love this set and in my opinion it is not less than the 6285 or 6286...it has many beauty features and design..:)

Yea, the white color is little off but great!

Regards

Edited by VintageLegoEra

Oh the points were features I did not know about the set until you showed me the pictures.

I miss read your post I thought the sails were the 1% missing :p Good you have them!

Look forward to the "final look"

AB

Oh the points were features I did not know about the set until you showed me the pictures.

I miss read your post I thought the sails were the 1% missing :p Good you have them!

Look forward to the "final look"

AB

Welcome buddy!...

Yea..me to so in hurry to get the parts yo finish it...:-).

After that I have many builds to do too..;-)

Finally, the parts arrived today and i have completed this beauty: :)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g464/TamiyaEra/20140418_000404-1-1_zpsef738053.jpg

20140418_000519_zps80ac9ca9.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g464/TamiyaEra/20140418_001941-1_zpsab78041d.jpg

20140418_002045-1_zps06c62179.jpg

20140418_000540_zpsaa708413.jpg

20140418_000556_zps042dfcd3.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g464/TamiyaEra/20140418_002005-1_zps2007619f.jpg

Finally, it is back to what it should be.....pirate_classic.gif

Now to complete the Haunted House...;)

Hope you enjoyed it!

Regards

Edited by Capt. Stabbin
Removed oversize pics

Thank you for this trip into a not so far away past, glad you managed to complete it. Looking at this ship, however, I'm a little torn... Today I have one myself, plus one unopened, mint condition... and back in the days I loved those red hull pieces. But honestly I never really liked this ship. It's partly because design-wise I consider it the weakest of the three classic capital pirate ships. But I was much more disappointed by the quality of this last wave of 90's pirates altogether, which shines a lot of frustration onto this ship... in my eyes it marks the point for when things went south with LEGO pirates.

Well, maybe I should just learn to appreciate it a little more, after all it's part of the heritage, which is some sort of value in itself.

Is it going back into the closet or are you going to put it on display?

Thanks again for sharing.

Oh, and good luck with your next project!

Regards

Thank you for this trip into a not so far away past, glad you managed to complete it. Looking at this ship, however, I'm a little torn... Today I have one myself, plus one unopened, mint condition... and back in the days I loved those red hull pieces. But honestly I never really liked this ship. It's partly because design-wise I consider it the weakest of the three classic capital pirate ships. But I was much more disappointed by the quality of this last wave of 90's pirates altogether, which shines a lot of frustration onto this ship... in my eyes it marks the point for when things went south with LEGO pirates.

Well, maybe I should just learn to appreciate it a little more, after all it's part of the heritage, which is some sort of value in itself.

Regards

Thanks for the comment :)

You might be right about this release as it is uncomparable with 6285 and 6286, but this was my first pirate ship to buy in 1993...:)...and just love it...and i am happy it looks mint for all these years...also i have a NISB 6290 the re re of this 6289..;)

Back then i could not get a hand on these 2 monsters ( 6285 & 6286 ), but now i am happy to have all the vintage pirate ships including also and all in mint condition....

definitely this time not in closet..heheheh...i am planning to make a huge display case displaying my collections.

since these ships consume a lot of space, i am building now the: 6243, 6289, 6285, 6286 and the 10228..and see how they can fit in here, next will start with the rest..

Thanks for looking and sharing ideas...

Cheers

I completely understand you, there's nothing like THE first pirate ship, respectively THE first (favorite) set(s). They will always have that one spot in one's heart...

Enough sentiment, great to hear of your display plans! Enjoy building (which you will pirate_laugh2.gif)!

Pics soon?

Regards

I completely understand you, there's nothing like THE first pirate ship, respectively THE first (favorite) set(s). They will always have that one spot in one's heart...

Enough sentiment, great to hear of your display plans! Enjoy building (which you will pirate_laugh2.gif)!

Pics soon?

Regards

Cheers mate...

sure,, i will post pics, otherwise threads without photos are useless ;)

Now i am in process of building the Haunted house...after that,, will build the 10040 and 6286...;)

will make a specific thread, so no worries..:)

Cheers

i am going to build: 6289, 6285, 6286 and the 10228..and see how they can fit in here, next will start with the rest..Also the POTC Ships will be build soon too!

Edited by VintageLegoEra

Regards

I had exactly the same feelings.

My parents bought me that ship when I was 9, and the more time I had it, the more I liked it. In fact, I recognize that still now I like it very much.

This ship has a lot of ununderstandable mistakes, but the global image is good, it's powerful. The 1996-97 wave wast not good at all, but the 6289 is not the worst part of it. Flaws like the lack of decent bases for the pirates and the Armada (and only two sets for the spanish, absolutely stupid!), and the silly designs in some sets are the most important reasons, I think.

pirate_wink.gif

True,,,,day after day,,,any owner of this ship will start to love it a lot...especially for any collector...:)

This was my first Pirate ship and i do have also NIB the re-released version 6290...

and were able to collect all the ships i missed when i was a kid..:)..and the reviews of all my ships will come soon too in a separate threads.

Just a small Note: maybe the 6389/6290 looks silly in photos, but in reality it is Awesome!

Here is my re re version (6290) with non-shooting cannon type!....i added 1 extra cannon as there was a space for one more. Also my original Version is having now an Extra Shooting Type Cannon!

17743620686_d20e5dc6fb_z.jpg

17770342381_8df6e96f4a_z.jpg

17767158752_2ed501b849_z.jpg

By tomorrow, i will put down the main differences between the original 6289 and the Re-Re 6290 pirate_satisfied.gif

So stay Tuned!

Regards

Edited by VintageLegoEra

Update:

As we know the 6289 and 6290 has no anchors and Steering reels....so i thought to buy these and add them .....photos to follow once they arrive!