Sign in to follow this  
Anthony12901

Gen 1 Figures: Is it worth it to buy them?

Ok so I've been thinking. I LOVE bionicle. People say Gen 2 is sucky to good, depending on who you talk to. People also say Gen 1 is horrible to awesome, also depending on who you talk to. So should I buy some Gen 1 figures? I don't know if they're worth it or not.

Just compare Gali. On Ebay she's $50.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Technic-Bionicle-8533-Toa-Mata-Gali-/152032222426?nav=SEARCH

On Amazon she's $60!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005A9AJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1460578264&sr=8-3π=SX200_QL40&keywords=bionicle+Gali

But then bricklink comes along and proves me wrong.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Daniel1183&itemID=82225903

Ok, so Gali costs $10 on bricklink.

How about bigger sets like, I don't know,Takatanuva?

No Takatanuva, but Makuta costs $25 with just bricks. Takanuva costs $30 on bricklink, with everything but the box. Ok, so they cost $55 in total.

;-( OW!

Ok. To recap with questions. Is it worth it to buy Gen 1 Figures? If yes, where and what figures? If no (I'm trying not to sound like a teacher :-P) then why not? If you answer then thank you! If not, I'll feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. (HA HA HA. Get it? Legos are bricks? Brick walls.....?)

Makuta:

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Redsunz2000&itemID=88428834

Takanuva:

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=moncho12&itemID=90520762

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

thats funny.

I can't comment on resale value since I bought all my G1 figures as first releases. And yes some sets are excellent and some are horrible. Those you have listed though are all good in my opinion, despite the limited articulation all the Toa Mata, and a lot of the late 2003 stuff are classics.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I can't comment on resale value since I bought all my G1 figures as first releases. And yes some sets are excellent and some are horrible. Those you have listed though are all good in my opinion, despite the limited articulation all the Toa Mata, and a lot of the late 2003 stuff are classics.

I thought they were good too, but never bought them. When HF came though they um... Didn't last on the shelves.

It entirely depends on the figures, and what prices they're going for.

I'd suggest looking at reviews of a set before caving and looking into buying it. See the model from all angles, and use that to judge whether or not you actually want to have it. Is it poseable enough for your liking? Does it have any functions that catch your eye? Does it look like an enjoyable thing to build? Does it look good aesthetically?

Also, don't buy it overpriced for the sake of it - If you don't want or need the original box, buy the set without it and save some money. Don't worry about original manuals either, as you can Google the name of pretty much any Lego set and find digital instructions somewhere in the results. I'd recommend finding the original RRP of the set on Brickipedia or Brickset and buying an eBay/Bricklink lot of a similar or lower price. Don't buy old sets from Amazon, as you will get scalped.

Edited by Logan McOwen

It entirely depends on the figures, and what prices they're going for.

I'd suggest looking at reviews of a set before caving and looking into buying it. See the model from all angles, and use that to judge whether or not you actually want to have it. Is it poseable enough for your liking? Does it have any functions that catch your eye? Does it look like an enjoyable thing to build? Does it look good aesthetically?

Also, don't buy it overpriced for the sake of it - If you don't want or need the original box, buy the set without it and save some money. Don't worry about original manuals either, as you can Google the name of pretty much any Lego set and find digital instructions somewhere in the results. I'd recommend finding the original RRP of the set on Brickipedia or Brickset and buying an eBay/Bricklink lot of a similar or lower price. Don't buy old sets from Amazon, as you will get scalped.

Thanks. I was thinking about getting a Toa Mata/Nuva and some villain of sorts. I usaully read reviews. Which Rahi should I get? I looked at a Manas but didn't overally like it.

Manas suck! I own that set, and the motor fried very easily. It would be better to buy Power Function and make a MOC based on the Manas, because the motors the set came with are horrid.

Good Rahi, Nui Jaga and Nui Rama are fun; but I think the Muaka and Kane RA two pack is the most iconic.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Manas suck! I own that set, and the motor fried very easily. It would be better to buy Power Function and make a MOC based on the Manas, because the motors the set came with are horrid.

Good Rahi, Nui Jaga and Nui Rama are fun; but I think the Muaka and Kane RA two pack is the most iconic.

Ya. I was looking at Nui-Rama and Nui-Jaga the other day. Muaka and Kane RA look ok. I just might get Nui-Jaga. Thanks for the suggestion!

Indeed they are! Part of the game of that set is to punch your opponent's Tarakava in the jaw, which snaps it down so you can then smash off the mask.

It most definitely depends on the sets. I feel like most of titans are very good buys, but I'm not too sure about the canister sets. Personally, I'd recommend the Toa Metru, and the Bohrok. The Metru are everything I look for in a canister set; gear functions, solid look, nice articulation, a money's worth build, and a flowing aesthetic. The Bohrok are mostly function builds, so only having a static joint to move doesn't effect them much. I personally don't like early canister sets because of their static, specialized pieces. Hordika are kind of messy and look imcomplete due to functionality. I don't like Inika Builds either, because they are silly looking, and I don't prefer the way they are built. I think titans and Metru builds are good, and maybe Mahri, because those are neat. I feel like the CCBS is a grand improvement, and I don't see how I could go back to the G1 builds with what we have now.

I say that if you know which set you want and spend some time (and money) on the bricklink and eBay prices, than yes, the Gen1 sets ARE totally worth it. I am a relatively new Bionicle fan, and a couple of weeks ago, I caved and bought an Inika Nuparu and Ahkmou from bricklink, my first Gen1 Bionicle sets, and I was not disappointed.

I guess its really a matter of what appeals to you. If something looks cool to you, get it. Now.

Of course it is.

G1 has a soul, thanks to its aesthetics, that CCBS just doesn't have. It will amaze you noticing the differences year after year, at least until 2007, and the bigger sets are worth it almost every year. Pieces from 2006-2009 are more prone to breaking and sets in general are more same-y across the years, so watch out, but most canister sets from 2001-2004 are definetely worth buying, at least two-three of them (most were clones during their own year, something not necessarily bad in my opinion). Titans I suggest you without hesitating are Brutaka, Hydraxon, Lhikan, Exo-Toa, Makuta (2003), Takanuva (2003 and 2008), Roodaka. Canister sets that are must buy imho are the Mata, Metru, Inika, Barraki, Bohrok.

So yeah, G1 is still worth it but be careful with prices and pieces.

Subjective.

Subjective. :wink:

Don't look it as G1 vs G2- they're all Bionicle sets, and some look cooler than others. It's just as worth it to buy a 2006 set as it is to buy a 2016 set, if you want it to be. This applies to the rest of the Lego world- great sets are great sets, and people are just as willing to cash out money for 10251 Brick Bank as they are for 928 Galaxy Explorer.

Another perspective- there's only been one release of Brutaka, you should get him.

Subjective.

You can't deny that CCBS is a lot more generic than G1, though. And while it's for sure a pro because of how many subthemes you can create with the system, unlike what BIONICLE could allow, at the same time is also a con because all of these themes tend to look similar to each other. You can work around colours and weapons, but if the array of pieces keeps being mostly the same across the years there's not much you can do.

Subjective. :wink:

Don't look it as G1 vs G2- they're all Bionicle sets, and some look cooler than others. It's just as worth it to buy a 2006 set as it is to buy a 2016 set, if you want it to be. This applies to the rest of the Lego world- great sets are great sets, and people are just as willing to cash out money for 10251 Brick Bank as they are for 928 Galaxy Explorer.

Another perspective- there's only been one release of Brutaka, you should get him.

I agree with this completely. Just go for a set you like no matter which year it was released in or which theme it's from.

Another way to get some good G1 sets without spending too much is in a larger lot. I've seen some big lots with 10-15 sets, many of them amazing sets, for just $30!

You can't deny that CCBS is a lot more generic than G1, though. And while it's for sure a pro because of how many subthemes you can create with the system, unlike what BIONICLE could allow, at the same time is also a con because all of these themes tend to look similar to each other. You can work around colours and weapons, but if the array of pieces keeps being mostly the same across the years there's not much you can do.

You could call that generic, or you could call it consistent. I think the latter better fits how it impacts my building. I don't find it limiting at all — in fact, I find it liberating, since I don't have to worry so much about parts no longer "fitting in" visually or functionally just because they're a few years old or even from a different theme entirely. This even factors into my enjoyment of the sets. Standing a Toa Nuva next to a Toa Metru or a 2003 Matoran next to a 2004 Matoran feels profoundly awkward, like they don't even belong to the same universe. But putting Stormer 2.0 next to Breez from Brain Attack doesn't result in nearly the same dissonance.

Anyway, I've thought long and hard about what G1 sets I'd most readily recommend, and I think 8811 Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo might top the list. It's available used on Bricklink for not much more than its inflation-adjusted RRP, didn't have as many issues with fragile joints as 2008–2010 sets, and was generally a very strong design. Lhikan has a unique version of the iconic Kanohi Hau, an appealing color scheme, dual-function weapons, and a gear function. And the Kikanalo had a build that was complex but still posable and somewhat coherent (though its textures are admittedly a bit all over the place).

Another recommendation would be 8699 Takanuva. It's an impressively large design with a creative build, good leg suspension, and a coherent color scheme. It has a shooter but no gear function. That one did have the fragile 2008–2010 joints, though, so getting it used might be slightly riskier, and I'm not sure it's worth the price it goes for new.

The 2001 Toa are cheap enough used on BrickLink that if you're interested in classic Bionicle you might as well get one and see how you like it and whether you want to get any more. If you buy them as parts rather than as complete sets they might even be cheaper than their inflation-adjusted RRP. Needless to say, their posability was EXTREMELY limited (no articulation in their necks, elbows, or knees and limited articulation in their hips and shoulders), but they are iconic, coherent designs with cool functions and color schemes, and overall I think they've aged fairly well as long as you are willing tolerate the aspects that are rudimentary by today's standards.

Edited by Aanchir

Is it worth it? If you enjoy what the sets look like and want them for what they are, sure. If you just want the parts for making stuff with though i'd say naaaaah

I'd say save your money for the new G2 sets...as they're more expensive than any of the old G1 sets, but you get way more from spending that money, as opposed to buying old G1 sets which are often fairly over-priced from what I've seen. If you like them enough to want to spend a little more than is warranted (that is, on brand new old sets....used sets I personally am not as into), then sure. But I still think it's worth saving for the current sets.

I'd say save your money for the new G2 sets...as they're more expensive than any of the old G1 sets, but you get way more from spending that money, as opposed to buying old G1 sets which are often fairly over-priced from what I've seen. If you like them enough to want to spend a little more than is warranted (that is, on brand new old sets....used sets I personally am not as into), then sure. But I still think it's worth saving for the current sets.

Good, cause I just got Kopaka and Melum, Lewa16, and Onua15.