Brickthing

Action Figure Forum Discussion

Well, considering Ben10 is licensed, why doesn't this become the forum for the new Theme? Since it will retain most of Bionicle's set elements, I don't see why it would make sense.

Eh...

It's just that BIONICLE still has it's storyline, and there's still stuff to be discussed.

But, I suppose it all depends on activity. If this forum remains active, then I say leave it as it is. If not, then I'd say to merge it with the new line.

It also depends on what the new line looks like.

-Velox

If I'm not mistaken that was what Front had suggested. And I actually would prefer it if Ben 10 were in with BIONICLE. Considering it is a branch of the replacement line.

No Front suggested that Ben 10 be placed here. I am suggesting all Action Figure based themes, moreso non-licensed, be placed here.

If my opinion counts, I'd much rather have Ben 10 in Licensed, especially since the Ben 10 sets are just barely based on the BIONICLE platform.

The replacement line, well I guess it'll have to be seen how similar it is to BIONICLE before I can form an opinion on whether it should go here or not, but it's more than likely going to be put here whether it's similar t BIONICLE at all or not.

If Ben10 gets put in here, why weren't these guys?

sirrascusl2.jpg

Sure, they aren't really technic, but they are action figures, and Ben10 barely has any technic, it's just a blocky format design, so I say keep it in Licensed.

Edited by The crazy one

Sure, they aren't really technic, but they are action figures, and Ben10 barely has any technic, it's just a blocky format design, so I say keep it in Licensed.

They're mainly Castle themed (and had their own minifig-scale as well), and Ben 10 is mainly licensed themed.

Once we know more about the new line we will decide were it goes, but if it uses ball-and-sockets, mainly Bionicle pieces and has a mystical robotic feel to it, it will most likely come here. :classic:

At the time of those figures the Bionicle forum didn't exist; it was Technic, Mindstorms and Bionicle. Thus, castle made more sense. Now that we have separated the two they might fit in... but seriously; who wants to discuss them?

Do remember; if this forum gets Ben 10, it'll get Galidor as well... :devil:

Do remember; if this forum gets Ben 10, it'll get Galidor as well... :devil:

I think that settles it. We're keeping Ben 10 in the Liscensed :tongue:

Quick question: Would Roboriders and Throwbots/Slizers be considered part of the Bionicle or Technic forum?

I think that settles it. We're keeping Ben 10 in the Liscensed :tongue:

Quick question: Would Roboriders and Throwbots/Slizers be considered part of the Bionicle or Technic forum?

I think tec......bio......hnic.....nicle.............. :tongue:

I think Bionicle?

Bionicle.

Is there any set revival limit for topics here?

No, as long as you think people would be interested in the topic if you revived it.

Just want to say that I love the new header picture for this subforum.

But does this mean that we will need to create a new review index?

sirrascusl2.jpg

Yws, I am disgusted at the decision to put Ben 10, and Knights Kingdom in this forum. BIONICLE has always been a technic based building system, and both of those don't have true technic style parts. They Both, in fact, are closer to their other counter parts (LEGO licensed, LEGO historic themes). Also this is the "BIONICLE" forum, not the Action Figure forum, and neither of those have any Bionicle parts in them.

Until some new product comes out, I think it's safe to say only action-figure based themes with BIONICLE or SLIZER parts should be allowed within this forum.

Yws, I am disgusted at the decision to put Ben 10, and Knights Kingdom in this forum. BIONICLE has always been a technic based building system, and both of those don't have true technic style parts. They Both, in fact, are closer to their other counter parts (LEGO licensed, LEGO historic themes). Also this is the "BIONICLE" forum, not the Action Figure forum, and neither of those have any Bionicle parts in them.

Until some new product comes out, I think it's safe to say only action-figure based themes with BIONICLE or SLIZER parts should be allowed within this forum.

Not according to some, and really it's been moving away from TECHNIC for a good long while. The Ben 10 sets are basically glorified Av-Matoran/Agori/Stars, so they aren't entirely out of place here.

I'm just wondering about the random Jayko stuck in the back there.

Also this is the "BIONICLE" forum, not the Action Figure forum, and neither of those have any Bionicle parts in them.

We're going to re-name the forum soon. Obviously we're not going to keep naming it after a dead theme.

Ben 10 belongs 100%; the building styles are identical. I agree that the Knights Kingdom figs are a bit off topic (they do have some techinic in them) but since we'll be using this as a constructible action figure forum it fits. Who knows where the Hero Factory line will go? I certainly don't. The first year of Exo-Force was mostly system, but the second was mostly technic. Things change. For this reason we've broadened the scope of the forum somewhat. The new banner reflects that decision.

To get it out of the way, Galidor belongs here too now. :wink:

BIONICLE has always been a technic based building system, and both of those don't have true technic style parts.

At the start yes, but it ended up being mostly about pins and ball joints. Hardly techinc.

Ben 10 is indeed the same building style. Ball-and-socket joints, with a few Technic axleholes interspersed.

However, I still think it should remain in Licensed, because it is above all else a licensed theme. Putting it here seems like saying that it's somehow less "legitimate" than other licensed themes, and (by extension) that the BIONICLE constructible action figure style is in turn inferior.

I understand this wasn't the spirit of the merge at all, and that Ben 10 MOCs and the like are far more likely to appeal to BIONICLE fans who appreciate the building style. But still it seems to somehow delineate Ben 10 by different standards than, say, Star Wars Technic sets, which still appear in the Star Wars forum despite using a different building style entirely.

Knights' Kingdom also seems out-of-place, using again the LEGO Star Wars example. Why, when Star Wars is solidly placed in a single forum, should two connected parts of the same non-licensed theme (Knights' Kingdom II) be split between the BIONICLE and Castle forum? And beyond that, this doesn't even have the same excuse Ben 10 had of having a stronger connection to the BIONICLE community-- after all, Knights' Kingdom uses connection styles which are almost exclusive to System despite brief appearances in 2002 and 2003 (using different parts entirely) in BIONICLE.

-----

Meanwhile, I like the new header, besides some things: Takanuva is the only one who's a mere MOC (or rather a mod), but is still placed with the sets. Jayko not only uses a 2005 shield on the 2004 set, he uses a different character's shield rather than his own. Natalie Breez, the representative for Hero Factory, uses an official image, while the rest are all photographs, making her look like a cardboard standee rather than a figure posed alongside. These can all be fixed without a hassle, though, and are just aesthetic gripes.

Although, to connect my two separate rants somewhat, if this categorization for Knights' Kingdom and Ben 10 is here to stay, then there's no excuse at all for Galidor not getting a place in the header. It's the most action figure-y of any buildable action figure themes-- even more so than BIONICLE, which always had Technic builds like the larger sets to its advantage. Of course, Galidor pics are hard to come by-- if not I would have made the Egg/TDN Module at minifig scale by now.

-----

I'm not outraged by the changes I've seen, but there's going to have to be some more discussion about some of these things before the changes settle comfortably. I'd be happy to add my thoughts to that conversation, though... in fact, I guess I kind of just did. =P

I don't mind ben 10 and kingdoms over there. But why not put a slizer considering even those themes got a position in the banner?

There will be an announcement topic soon, which should explain the change better. Basically though, the forum will include action figure sets that aren't strictly SYSTEM, which are:

• Bionicle
  • Hero Factory
  • Slizer/Throwbots
  • Roboriders
  • Ben 10
  • Knights Kingdom
  • Galidor
  • Dinosaurs

Although a some of these themes are different to Bionicle in building style, they're dead themes so they won't be noticed much. Galidor wasn't overly present in Other Themes, so I doubt it will be here either. :laugh:

Ben 10 is indeed the same building style. Ball-and-socket joints, with a few Technic axleholes interspersed.

However, I still think it should remain in Licensed, because it is above all else a licensed theme. Putting it here seems like saying that it's somehow less "legitimate" than other licensed themes, and (by extension) that the BIONICLE constructible action figure style is in turn inferior.

Ben 10 was quite different from the other Licensed themes (SYSTEM at minifig scale), so it should be much better appreciated here. To keep Ben 10 legitimate, the Licensed forum is now more for Licensed SYSTEM LEGO. :classic:

I understand this wasn't the spirit of the merge at all, and that Ben 10 MOCs and the like are far more likely to appeal to BIONICLE fans who appreciate the building style. But still it seems to somehow delineate Ben 10 by different standards than, say, Star Wars Technic sets, which still appear in the Star Wars forum despite using a different building style entirely.

Knights' Kingdom also seems out-of-place, using again the LEGO Star Wars example. Why, when Star Wars is solidly placed in a single forum, should two connected parts of the same non-licensed theme (Knights' Kingdom II) be split between the BIONICLE and Castle forum? And beyond that, this doesn't even have the same excuse Ben 10 had of having a stronger connection to the BIONICLE community-- after all, Knights' Kingdom uses connection styles which are almost exclusive to System despite brief appearances in 2002 and 2003 (using different parts entirely) in BIONICLE.

Although the action figures and pplaysets of KK2 are based on the same story, their building style is quite different, to the point it could be argued that they're effectively different lines. Usually they'd stay together, but with a suitable Action Figure forum, it seemed like the bigger Knights would receive more love here than in the Historical Forum (Only Danju has ever gotten a review :cry_sad: ). If it makes it any better, all the swords as well as the armour/helmets from later years are definately BIONICLE compatible.

Meanwhile, I like the new header, besides some things: Takanuva is the only one who's a mere MOC (or rather a mod), but is still placed with the sets. Jayko not only uses a 2005 shield on the 2004 set, he uses a different character's shield rather than his own. Natalie Breez, the representative for Hero Factory, uses an official image, while the rest are all photographs, making her look like a cardboard standee rather than a figure posed alongside. These can all be fixed without a hassle, though, and are just aesthetic gripes.

Although, to connect my two separate rants somewhat, if this categorization for Knights' Kingdom and Ben 10 is here to stay, then there's no excuse at all for Galidor not getting a place in the header. It's the most action figure-y of any buildable action figure themes-- even more so than BIONICLE, which always had Technic builds like the larger sets to its advantage. Of course, Galidor pics are hard to come by-- if not I would have made the Egg/TDN Module at minifig scale by now.

Jayko is a mash-up of KK2 parts I could find from my collection - he also has the wrong coloured armour and is missing most of what is not visible in the image. :laugh: I'm impressed that you noticed the shield though!

I'm really sorry about Natalie, but without Hero Factory sets being released yet it was quite hard for me to photograph one. :tongue: Galidor isn't up there either because I don't have any Galidor sets and I didn't want to add another cutout.

The banner will probably change everynow and then, hopefully to show more Hero Factory as it becomes avaliable, especially as Hero Factory and Bionicle will still be the main focuses of this forum.

I would prefer only SLIZER style action figures. These are all major action figure themes that contain ball-joint based parts which are decorated with pistons and use nearly 100% technic-style connection system.

Obviously this wouldn't be the name of the forum, but Bionicle-style or Slizer-style figures forum would make sense. As a Bionicle fan, in my opinion this is really a Bionicle fan discussion, since only Bionicle or Hero Factory sets will ever be come up in this forum.

And unlike other LEGO themes, Bionicle has an actual story. This will be continuing for one and a half more years, so don't say BIONICLE is a dead theme. Frankly, fans will probable be around a long time.

PS: At the very least, make a sub forum for Bionicle and/or for the specific style, because it will trump all other themes ten times over. Bionicle is LEGO's pure unique creation, and I believe it should be treated as so.

EDIT: Actually, making a LEGO action figure sub forum in the Bionicle-style figure forum would hold more value. Yes, it's not a sub- category to BIONICLE, but Knights Kingdom, Ben 10, and Galidor are dead unpopular themes with little worth in the Lego community, let alone the Bionicle one.

Edited by the last chronicler

Ben 10 was quite different from the other Licensed themes (SYSTEM at minifig scale), so it should be much better appreciated here. To keep Ben 10 legitimate, the Licensed forum is now more for Licensed SYSTEM LEGO. :classic:

But in that case, the problem remains: what about the Technic Star Wars sets? Will they follow the same rules? They're practically action figures, and even if you don't consider them such they're certainly Technic. Will they go in the Star Wars forum, the Technic forum, or this forum?

And, for that matter, what about Construct-A-Buzz or Construct-A-Zurg? They're both action figures, despite using System building styles. And neither of the two is minifig scale, which sets them apart from everything which remains in the Licensed forum. This merge is clearly very messy business when it comes down to what gets merged and what doesn't. That doesn't mean that it's not logical, but it leaves an awful lot of questions unanswered.

Although the action figures and playsets of KK2 are based on the same story, their building style is quite different, to the point it could be argued that they're effectively different lines. Usually they'd stay together, but with a suitable Action Figure forum, it seemed like the bigger Knights would receive more love here than in the Historical Forum (Only Danju has ever gotten a review :cry_sad: ). If it makes it any better, all the swords as well as the armour/helmets from later years are definately BIONICLE compatible.

Again, it just strikes me as pretty awkward to split a theme between two forums. That's really my main problem with the Knights' Kingdom merge.

But in that case, the problem remains: what about the Technic Star Wars sets? Will they follow the same rules? They're practically action figures, and even if you don't consider them such they're certainly Technic. Will they go in the Star Wars forum, the Technic forum, or this forum?

And, for that matter, what about Construct-A-Buzz or Construct-A-Zurg? They're both action figures, despite using System building styles. And neither of the two is minifig scale, which sets them apart from everything which remains in the Licensed forum. This merge is clearly very messy business when it comes down to what gets merged and what doesn't. That doesn't mean that it's not logical, but it leaves an awful lot of questions unanswered.

Again, it just strikes me as pretty awkward to split a theme between two forums. That's really my main problem with the Knights' Kingdom merge.

We haven't decided on the Star Wars TECHNIC figures - I'll get back to you on that one.

Construct-A-Buzz/Zurg are two sets out of the entire Toy Story line that don't match the theme (they do have minifigs though, and a fully SYSTEM building style), as opposed to KK2, which is split 50/50 between playsets and Action figures. If there were more sets in the Construct-a-Buzz style, they might have been moved, but just moving those two sets might make it more confusing.

For the KK2 split, if the Historical forum starts to miss the large figures, we'll move them back. :classic:

D'oh, Completely missed this topic. X]

Here is what I posted in the stickied topic as a suggestion;

Though I recommend, seeing as to this is no longer strictly Bionicle and Slizer, that the Bionicle Moderator rank is changed to Action Figure Moderater and perhaps have an Action Figure Regulator.

To celebrate the new forum and the launch of Hero Factory sets (finally :hmpf: ), I'm proud to present 2 new tags for the Action Figure Forum!

herofan.gif

Aren't they gorgeous? :cry_happy:

*ahem*, Well, the Hero Factory tag is the more exclusive tag, which will be given to fantastic members who share their thoughts through equally fantastic reviews of the new Hero Factory sets as they become avaliable. (The Eurobricks Reviewers Academy is great for learning how to make good quality reviews. :wink: ) The Dor already has this tag for his excellent Preston Stormer review. :classic:

Edited by VBBN