Sign in to follow this  
Richard Dower

Account hacked?

i could not loin to my account with my usual password, and i am locked out of other sites i use...can a mod please help me to check my account to see if there was a password reset in the last 24 hours?

For future reference for anyone reading, if you think you had something hacked (anywhere)... Some sites will send you an email when someone has unsuccessfully tried logging into your account and got "locked out". This would be a good time to change your passwords.

1. Change passwords on every site as fast as possible to different passwords.

2. Use another device to change passwords again in case your primary device is compromised. If you know your primary device is clean, you can skip this step. Ensure that your primary device is clean, then you can resume using your primary device.

3. Best if you change passwords frequently.

Yes changing passowrds is a pain in the neck especially if the site in question forces you to use a mix of uppercase, lowercase, symbols, etc. but it is better than the alternative. Also make sure all your passwords are different. If you use the same username & password and when there is a security breach at any of these site, dubious people will have access to everything that utilizes that password and username. Sometimes they can also google the name to find other places to login to. Remember, your internet idenity is only as strong as your weakest link and you have no control over that weakest link. By the time a security breach is usually discovered, the infiltrators have already spreaded and/or sold the leaked information.

Just my unsolicited $0.02