tilko

Poor bricks quality in set 70402

Yesterday I bought set 70402 Gatehouse Raid and the breaks are in really poor quality. Many have damaged corners and weird Y marking on them. Box was in mint condition !

Damaged corners:

p1010089.jpg

p1010095.jpg

p1010094.jpg

p1010091.jpg

p1010096.jpg

Y marking on brown briks:

p1010093.jpg

Edited by tilko

Terrible indeed! You may be able to find higher quality bricks in some of TLG's competitors products

Was the box crushed in any way? I'm thinking that the bricks inside could have been pushed hard into one another?

If not, a sure bet is always to call the LEGO Customer Services and they should send you new bricks.

Send the photos to LEGO. I don't doubt that they replace the defect pieces.

I agree, they will at least have a look at the photos if you give them to review, i would think they would replace them...

Those markings are absolutely tiny, the only one I could see without magnifying the images was the first one. If you're displaying this, then this really shouldn't be much of a problem, it's hardly noticeable, and if you aren't displaying them, and/or you have kids that will play with it, then they won't mind at all either. Unless the brick gets damaged in a way that it is entirely unusable, then it really isn't much of a problem.

Those markings are absolutely tiny, the only one I could see without magnifying the images was the first one. If you're displaying this, then this really shouldn't be much of a problem, it's hardly noticeable, and if you aren't displaying them, and/or you have kids that will play with it, then they won't mind at all either. Unless the brick gets damaged in a way that it is entirely unusable, then it really isn't much of a problem.

tiny as the damage may be, i as a consumer would still feel rather disappointed and expect a higher quality standard judging by the price i am paying.

Some of those look pretty horrendous. I would definitely recommend checking with their customer service. If they have any questions, you have photographic proof, so that helps.

I have had my over-share of bad pieces, but yours takes the cake there.

I have found a lot of reddish brown bits have that Y shape on them, especially the 1X2 bricks. I just assumed it to be part of the molding process. But then I have not noticed it on other colors?

tiny as the damage may be, i as a consumer would still feel rather disappointed and expect a higher quality standard judging by the price i am paying.

I know, but it just doesn't seem like much to me, I mean they're hardly noticeable. If you asked someone who'd never seen it before to pick out the damaged bricks then they would have to get right up close, and even then will take a while to find them. It hardly hurts the aesthetic, and it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Sorry. :P

It is not just aesthetis, I almost cut myself with one 1x2 brick because sharp corner and I am 32 ! Same day I bought four Forest Ambush sets and all bricks are fine.

I wouldn't call this a minor quibble, those bricks look horrible.

In this pic, you can't even push the brick down all the way: http://shrani.najdi.si/?z/PK/1zt1LORi/p1010089.jpg

And here, it looks like a 3 year old sibling got a hold of the bricks and start gnawing on them: http://shrani.najdi.si/?1D/Ph/1DtqaLeB/p1010096.jpg

Honestly, I'd just pack the set up and return it to the store, get a replacement of refund. I would still send the pictures to Lego to let them know about the quality issue.

I would recommend contacting consumer service. They should be able to help you, and they like to track quality issues.

Erland

Part Design

You've got to expect a few marks, with everything knocking together in bags and all, but some of those bricks are particularly bad. Customer service should be able to help though :)

The Y shape is a normal molding mark and is present on all 1xN bricks to some extent. The cratering at the edges looks really bad though. I wonder if the bags got smashed or something when it was packed.

This is really bad. I would not that if those were some cheap clone bricks, but lego is charging very premium price and bricks should be perfect. Ok, I can live with slightly different colours or some barely visible molding marks, but this way over that.

I will report this to CEE team.

My problem with this set were missing bricks. I got two sets, both of them missing 2 lbg inverted slopes 1x2.

Edited by Redhead1982

I got everything okay in my copy of that set......though I do have Y markings on the brown bricks.....but I don't mind. :wink:

This is really bad. I would not that if those were some cheap clone bricks, but lego is charging very premium price and bricks should be perfect. Ok, I can live with slightly different colours or some barely visible molding marks, but this way over that.

I will report this to CEE team.

Wouldn't it be better to just report it to Customer Services - not sure this is an issue for the CEE Team. :look:

I think I'd more likely complain about missing parts than welts in the pieces, at least you've actually got the pieces. Seems a bad set if some of the bricks are damaged in one, and in others parts are missing.

I contacted TLG's European customer service team as both arms of my dragon from Dragon Mountain 70403 had a cosmetic flaw at the shoulder: four black dots arranged in a square shape. They promptly sent me a pair of replacements at no charge. Unfortunately, the replacements had the same flaw, but I can't fault the customer service team. They were fast and friendly.

Yesterday I bought set 70402 Gatehouse Raid and the breaks are in really poor quality. Many have damaged corners and weird Y marking on them. Box was in mint condition !

Damaged corners:

p1010089.jpg

This is the one that looks significant to me. To be honest, the others strike me as rather trivial, but this one I agree is problematic.

I don't know if the sort of perfection you appear to be after is actually feasibly attainable.

This is the one that looks significant to me. To be honest, the others strike me as rather trivial, but this one I agree is problematic.

I don't know if the sort of perfection you appear to be after is actually feasibly attainable.

I agree. Molding marks can be a bit bothersome sometimes, but they're a fairly minor issue in comparison to this. Generally, you should ALWAYS expect parts in a new set to be in at least as good condition as when they came out of the mold. So real, visible, post-production damage is something that should be addressed.

Edited by Aanchir

I agree. I get LEGO sets all the time that have minor marks like the other pictures, but this one is a bit much. However, TLG is actually pretty good about replacing damaged pieces. I have had a couple of pieces replaced over the years. As long as you can prove you bought the set i.e. giving them the number on the back of the manual, they don't give you much problem about just sending you a replacement piece.

Here's a link to where you can request a replacement.

https://service.lego.com/en-us/replacementparts#BasicInfo