Legostone

[ESL - FB2 - class 5+] Dragon's Revenge

Hello and welcome to the presentation of the latest acquisition of MAESTRO! Due to the increasing size of our fleet we felt like it was time to have some more bigger armed vessels to protect our convoys. So I sent my engineers off to develop a frigate that could carry a decent amount of guns for us! In a very short amount of time they managed to put together this ship, which will sail under the command of Captain Ben Zwitsers, who is under the command of Lady Elysabeth of the House of Drondil(Titus V). Lady Elysabeth has also decided to name our first Frigate Dragon's Revenge, more about that later.

________

​A few days ago I had given myself the challenge to build a frigate in under 24 hours - and I think I've succeeded in about 19. That's 6 more hours for improvements I might make once I have time to build again:P

​So, here are the pictures:

27044666371_40d18e6dc1_c.jpg

Sailing' with the wind!

27044673061_d7235e0c0d_c.jpg

Ready to fire a broadside?

27113191095_46bc86bf48_c.jpg

The stern castle

27044661101_2683971224_c.jpg

closed gunports and a view at the rigging - I think I did pretty well considering I was limited in time and ran out of string:P

27044648901_51cb76cb12_c.jpg

As I don't own the Transferata I can only picture the Dragon's Revenge with one of Titus V ships, the Arkady.

26838643620_4d35e0c904_c.jpg

And together with the other of my ships - well, the smallest amount of them are actually in my hands:P Sorry for terrible editing, I just wanted to have them all in one picture.

So, a quick overview over the facts:

11 hours building the ship

4 hours rigging

3 hours sails

1 hour crew

20 guns on the gundeck

6 smaller guns on the upper deck

2 bowchasers

Captain Ben Zwitsers

Owned by Lady Elysabeth(Titus V)

Build by the Monezterrell' Shipyards (might be coming at some point in the future :P)

Trade company MAESTRO

current crew consists of 25 men, but could easily go into the range of 40

For now we'll license it as a class 5HA, but likely upgrade it at a later point to a higher class once those are public; I expect this to be a class 7(L)A, even if I would have to add a few more guns for that :P

Some notes: the masts and rigging are not entirely accurate (2 sections instead of 3, rigging going to the sides of the platforms instead of to the masts; also the curve for the gundeck is a bit to strong. Those are the things that I'll definitely not fix in the remaining 5 hours, but if you have any other suggestions I might make use of those once I have time again.

Sweet ship and rigging. I've been following the 24 hours thread a few days back..

If you used coloured cloth sails it would really perfect your ships. Paper is just a little flat and lacks volume ^^

My dearest,

Yesterday, I came down to the decks after a message of yours, and the moment I saw your wonderful work there, my mouth dropped open. When the MAESTRO council decided we needed a warship, I would never have tought this could be the result. I am really thankfull for ship worthy of flanking the Pride and riding the waves next to the Margot.

With many thanks,

Elysabeth of Drondil

Yikes! If you can churn a class 5+ ship that nice in in 19 hours, there is not much hope for the rest of us. :)

Something I can't make out. Did you use two/three rows of jumper plates to built out the hull width by 1/2 lugs increments, or is it full lug increments?

Wow ! You finished her so quickly !

Congratulations !

She will need custom cloth sails...

So MAESTRO can rule the see now ! ;p

Very well built hull, and the stern castle has some lovely designs pirate_wubnew.gif Good work with the main brick built flag thumbup.gif

She turned out really nice for such a quick build! thumbup.gif

Though the colour scheme is somewhat strange, it works rather nicely.

Your new rigging also looks good, though it could be tightened a little better (it looks a little messy now).

I do think the curve on the side is a bit heavy and could look better were it more straight.

Sweet ship and rigging. I've been following the 24 hours thread a few days back..

If you used coloured cloth sails it would really perfect your ships. Paper is just a little flat and lacks volume ^^

Thanks for following! I do think cloth sails would look better, but for that I would need to get some tools and material for that; I also fear that it takes so to long, I get distracted way to easily (the reason why I went with a under 24 hour build :P)

My dearest,

Yesterday, I came down to the decks after a message of yours, and the moment I saw your wonderful work there, my mouth dropped open. When the MAESTRO council decided we needed a warship, I would never have tought this could be the result. I am really thankfull for ship worthy of flanking the Pride and riding the waves next to the Margot.

With many thanks,

Elysabeth of Drondil

Dear Ms,

I'm glad I could deliver something worth delivering! I hope my engineers can build another ship to allow us to build even bigger convoys! She'll hopefully protect all our ships on their journeys! Sadly it'll be a while until the Monezterrell shipyards can deliver another ship this size as I have decided that we finally need to move them to the new world as there are so many more people interested in buying ships in these waters! It'll take a while but after we are done with that, but afterwards we don't have to wait as long to see the completed ships as they won't have to go through the dangerous journey to here anymore!

Glad of your appreciation,

Jerome Monezterrell

Yikes! If you can churn a class 5+ ship that nice in in 19 hours, there is not much hope for the rest of us. :)

Something I can't make out. Did you use two/three rows of jumper plates to built out the hull width by 1/2 lugs increments, or is it full lug increments?

Well, I might be able to churn out a ship this size in 19 hours, but sadly I get bored of building to quickly - the first 12 hours really were the most interesting part of the build, after that it got boring to quickly.

Actually there is a maximum of half a stud offset with jumper plates - if you look into the WIP topic you can see the way I constructed the hull a bit better. But the tumblehome is overhanging another stud. I can't really explain it now, but at its widest point the hull is 20 studs wide due to the overhanging tumblehome. Gives me a lot of space on the deck for all that activity:P

Wow ! You finished her so quickly !

Congratulations !

She will need custom cloth sails...

So MAESTRO can rule the see now ! ;p

Thanks! I couldn't have kept the concentration for another 1 1/2 month ship anyways, so I had to go with a little smaller ship :P

Gah, custom sails. I think I'll have to try that eventually, I guess you all want me do go with custom sails for my next ship...

That was the plan all along anyways, right?

Very well built hull, and the stern castle has some lovely designs :pir-wub: Good work with the main brick built flag :thumbup:

Thanks! The Stern actually turned out pretty much exactly as I had planned:D

I think the custom build flag is still one of my favourites too - even though this is far from the first ship on which I used it. I also used it on the Eslandolan build of the War Dwarf (which is Corrington owned now), on the Winds Beauty and, off course, on the Pride of Elysabethtown.

She turned out really nice for such a quick build! :thumbup:

Though the colour scheme is somewhat strange, it works rather nicely.

Your new rigging also looks good, though it could be tightened a little better (it looks a little messy now).

I do think the curve on the side is a bit heavy and could look better were it more straight.

Thanks! Wouldn't have been possible without your tutorial, even though she's pretty far away from that one by now:P

Well, in a time limited build like this one I'm also quite limited on the part selection, and while I do have over 80000 parts lying around a quite large collection to chose from I'm still somewhat limited on certain parts. I guess the blue gunports aren't exactly the best choice, but I felt like white gunports on white wouldn't have worked, and those 2 colours are the only ones of which I have over 20... I guess I'll have to see on my next ship what I do for this...

I always have trouble getting the rigging tightened up, you adjust one line to be tight and 5 other lines are not tight anymore. I just went with the best compromise afterwards. I still think its a big improvement over previous rigging on my other ships.

Yeah, I wish someone had mentioned that curve before I was that deep into the build, from the point where it was mentioned I was annoyed by it but sadly it would've required me to basically start from hour 1 again which I don't think I would have still managed in time...

Thanks everyone for your comments! I sure hope to use your recommendations on my next ship (which will be a while)

Excellent frigate, you did a truly fantastic job builder her. The colors do seem a little odd in places, but it can always be explained away as the result of an eccentric captain. The time and detail you put into the rigging really paid off, and helps this ship look more and more like a proper sailing vessel. I'm really glad you chose to use custom cannons and anchors instead of Lego's versions. The custom ones look much better, especially for a ship of this size.

My main complaint is with the ship's curves. It seems to be a bit much, and should be smoothed out. Nonetheless, this does not detract too much from the other amazing qualities of your ship.

I don't know how you were able to do this in such a short amount of time! Amazing job!

The curvature of the gun deck seems a bit extreme, but overall I love the ship, regardless of how quickly it was built. And the color scheme works. A fine addition to the BoBS fleet!