Klaus-Dieter

2011 Trains set(s)

traintech1.jpg

Hello everybody! :classic:

I've got some news for Trains in 2011.

It doesn't sound very exciting but it seems as if the flexible tracks will be sold in regular toy shops, too:

7499 Flexible Tracks - (17 Euros) supposably 20 Euros in shops and at S@H

I personally think and fear that this will only be 8867 - but now being sold in regular toy shops, too, and not in Lego Stores and via S@H. That there'll be some minifigs or vehicles included is imo very unlikely. (I haven't seen a picture of the set - so I don't know.) What do you think?

More news about possible upcomming Trains sets in 2011 or pics I regrettably don't have at the moment.

Klaus-Dieter

Hello everybody! :classic:

I've got some news for Trains in 2011.

It doesn't sound very exciting but it seems as if the flexible tracks will be sold in regular toy shops, too:

7499 Flexible Tracks - (17 Euros) supposably 20 Euros in shops and at S@H

I personally think and fear that this will only be 8867 - but now being sold in regular toy shops, too, and not in Lego Stores and via S@H. That there'll be some minifigs or vehicles included is imo very unlikely. (I haven't seen a picture of the set - so I don't know.) What do you think?

More news about possible upcomming Trains sets in 2011 or pics I regrettably don't have at the moment.

Klaus-Dieter

I think it's just the same as 8867 but with half the pieces.

This news gave me a little of a double feeling about it, first that it's at least a new train set, which is really a step forwards from Lego to see that trains are more important than they think. However it's only a set of flexible tracks, and unless you've got a really big layout and none of the new trains it can become useful.

Thanks 'Klaus' for the information, at least maybe here in Oz we can get flexi-track....man, I need it for the public transport set....we can guess that the present train sets 7636-7639 will be kept on though next year (fingers crossed).

I wonder how many pieces of flexi-track we'll get per box ?

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

It would be disappointing if that's the only train set released next year but expected...

I totally agree with you, typo!

But what set would you expect for next year?

It's very hard to say which set there could be - and whether there will be any other set at all.

A big, decent train station is missing since about a decade now. The one from 2007 was too small and much too <insert that tiresome argument>. The only two interesting elements this year's (2010) "train station" includes, are the taxi and the pedestrian bridge. Apart from that this "train station" is more some sort of train stop - much too small for a decent train station. Our cities need a big, decent train station like the one of them which were released in the ninetees! But I highly doubt that this won't happen in 2011.

Klaus-Dieter

2011 train sets KD? - I must admit that I haven't given it much thought with the 2010 line-up.

We've got the Cargo Train, Passenger Train, Toy Story Wild West, and Harry Potter - that's a pretty good collection for train fans (although the HP is bottom of my list) - plus a station/platform and a crossing. It's been a long time since LEGO offered this many train sets in one year.

With these sets, I wouldn't imagine LEGO adding anything in 2011, but we can always hope. Personally, I'd love to see a few single train cars that one can add to their Cargo Trains (like the My Own Train collection).

I don't see any reason why TLG should release more train sets in 2011. The current batch within City already has quite the standard selection = Passenger Train + Cargo Train + Station + Crossing. Of course there COULD be still room for things such as a Cargo Station, one or two more railway structures, and individual wagons. But we're not in the golden 12V era anymore, and neither in the silver 9V era.

There COULD be one more Exclusive train set tho. I guess the Emerald Night has been super popular, so I'm sure they will do something else for trains in S@H, and could be in 2011 already. But I definitely do not expect this in City.

I don't see any reason why TLG should release more train sets in 2011.

There COULD be one more Exclusive train set tho. I guess the Emerald Night has been super popular, so I'm sure they will do something else for trains in S@H, and could be in 2011 already. But I definitely do not expect this in City.

I agree with Legoist. I hope EN has been popular, but I'm not sure how it sales compare with the modular houses. If it has sold well I'd hope to either see EN replaced with another Lego exclusive train, or another added to the line. It's anybody's guess if/when it will happen. I hope that the feedback from EN results in the next exclusive train having a few carriages rather than just one. I'm surprised the Brickster is still hoping for individual cars as IMHO it's as likely as snow in Darwin.

The current city trains will probably be available (at least from S@H) for a few years, so we wont see new ones till they are replaced.

I agree with Legoist. I hope EN has been popular, but I'm not sure how it sales compare with the modular houses. If it has sold well I'd hope to either see EN replaced with another Lego exclusive train, or another added to the line. It's anybody's guess if/when it will happen. I hope that the feedback from EN results in the next exclusive train having a few carriages rather than just one. I'm surprised the Brickster is still hoping for individual cars as IMHO it's as likely as snow in Darwin.

The current city trains will probably be available (at least from S@H) for a few years, so we wont see new ones till they are replaced.

I hope the emerald night stays for a while. I want more cars. I only have two so far.

Well when you think about it, TLG hasn't put in as much detail for trains lately other than the Emerald Night, but if you compare the Passenger train for example to the BNSF disel train, The diesel automatically would win best design, but that was the problem back then, you would buy engines for like $70-$100 but if you bought a full set like The Railway Express you would get 3 cars, 5 minifigs, and 2 passenger cars, And they would sell trains cars for your Trains. I keep thinking, TLG is becoming cheap by not suppling us with train cars, or they want us to pointlessly buy another set just for a train car (which is what I usually do lately) So as far as Trains for 2011, I only see 1 or 2 coming out, but i'm not holding my breath for anything exciting.

I'd be happy if Lego just release a few cars set. No engine, just cars to add to existing train sets.

extra Emerald Night cars for starter but since Emerald Night is s@l exclusive, the cars would likely be online only as well and not sell well like the past online only cars. Maybe extra passenger cars for 7938 or something that can be sold at stores. Or train garage that can have more than 2 tracks in/out. Or even a decent track turntable for 8 or 16 tracks total. I think 16 is the most one can get from a single 2 straight track while still able to connect all without needing flex track.

I'd be happy if Lego just release a few cars set. No engine, just cars to add to existing train sets.

extra Emerald Night cars for starter but since Emerald Night is s@l exclusive, the cars would likely be online only as well and not sell well like the past online only cars. Maybe extra passenger cars for 7938 or something that can be sold at stores. Or train garage that can have more than 2 tracks in/out. Or even a decent track turntable for 8 or 16 tracks total. I think 16 is the most one can get from a single 2 straight track while still able to connect all without needing flex track.

I agree 100% with you, But I don't see that happening, Lego is becoming stubborn and won't sell train cars, even though they know that we want some. I would really like the Passenger train to come with a train car, like a sleeper car, something like that metroliner.

2011 train sets KD? - I must admit that I haven't given it much thought with the 2010 line-up.

We've got the Cargo Train, Passenger Train, Toy Story Wild West, and Harry Potter - that's a pretty good collection for train fans (although the HP is bottom of my list) - plus a station/platform and a crossing. It's been a long time since LEGO offered this many train sets in one year.

With these sets, I wouldn't imagine LEGO adding anything in 2011, but we can always hope. Personally, I'd love to see a few single train cars that one can add to their Cargo Trains (like the My Own Train collection).

I agree with TheBrickster. I've been excited with the Trains line up all this year. Still saving up to buy some as a matter of fact.

But like many have said single train cars is very unlikely unless Lego changes their mind and makes them more profitable. Like for example sell them at outlets like Toys R Us. That's the only place where i can find Lego Trains anyways in Las Vegas.

We should get at least one more thing: PF motor sold separately. TLG is still selling old type motor (for RC trains), which doesn't make any sense. Although you could technically still use this motor with PF system (with addition of extending wire), it's not quite as good as new one (according to tests of consumption and power) and becuse of the wire its also more expensive.

We should get at least one more thing: PF motor sold separately. TLG is still selling old type motor (for RC trains), which doesn't make any sense. Although you could technically still use this motor with PF system (with addition of extending wire), it's not quite as good as new one (according to tests of consumption and power) and becuse of the wire its also more expensive.

I predict we will get the PF motor separately eventually. Shop at home probably have a stock of RC motors that they will want to sell first though.

The other problem with the RC motor is the plug on top of the wire makes it hard to use with a train base apart from the RC battery box one.

The RC motor isn't all bad though. I added an extra one to my green cargo train engine and it makes it quite powerful with great traction. If they can't sell the RC motors and put them on sale I'll try and pick up a couple more.

i also think we would have the new AAA battery box up. but we might not though, because it would make them lose sales from the overpriced rechargable ones.

(does it make me a hypocrite that i own several of those overpriced boxes?)

Actually, it's not a long time ago when TLG sold wagons from S@H (the Santa Fé cars and the Intermodal Stack Container), so it's definitely not impossible that there will be something like them again. What is really unlikely IMHO is to see wagons sold in retail shops.

Personally I loved the Emerald Night, and would have loved the Santa Fé and BNSF had I been out of my dark ages when they were still available. But these exclusive sets are/were so good that I don't have the heart to tear them apart for pieces, and I need to MOC... therefore I would so much more prefer to have "sets" like the Hobby Train: a box full of useful train-oriented parts in a limited selection of colours.

a box full of useful train-oriented parts in a limited selection of colours.

Bricklink :wink:

Yes, it's work to find all the parts, and it doesn't come with the satisfaction of opening a Lego box, but everything you need to MOC is available in quantity :wink:

Actually, it's not a long time ago when TLG sold wagons from S@H (the Santa Fé cars and the Intermodal Stack Container), so it's definitely not impossible that there will be something like them again. What is really unlikely IMHO is to see wagons sold in retail shops.

Personally I loved the Emerald Night, and would have loved the Santa Fé and BNSF had I been out of my dark ages when they were still available. But these exclusive sets are/were so good that I don't have the heart to tear them apart for pieces, and I need to MOC... therefore I would so much more prefer to have "sets" like the Hobby Train: a box full of useful train-oriented parts in a limited selection of colours.

I'm pretty sure the Santa Fe and Intermodal cars were available in retail shops for a short time, but trains are slower sellers than other lego, so retailers will get an initial batch of trains and wont restock them. In the interview Cpt Zuloo did with Jamie Berard, Jamie said that train cars were poor sellers so Lego would be very unlikely to make them again.

I know what you mean about the quality of the exclusive sets, thats why I buy more than one when I can afford them. It allows me to MOC and keep one together.

Yes, it's work to find all the parts, and it doesn't come with the satisfaction of opening a Lego box, but everything you need to MOC is available in quantity :wink:

Not only that you can order just the parts you need for a MOC. I design my MOCs by fiddling around with real bricks, but I'm getting in the habit of doing it with multicoloured spare bricks I have, and only order in the final colours when I've worked out the design correctly.

Edited by peterab

No way... BL is cool if you're hunting for specific pieces you need, but to get yourself a "mixed bag of parts" for train building (like the Hobby Train set) you end up needing to buy from many sellers, summing up all the mail costs. If you prefer having new parts, it ends up even more expensive than buying a MISB Hobby Train from eBay.

If you prefer having new parts, it ends up even more expensive than buying a MISB Hobby Train from eBay.

I guess so - if you need train windows, doors etc, they are pretty expensive :cry_sad:

For bricks, plates, tiles etc, a couple of orders from stores with a lot of inventory can produce massive stock of parts for MOCs :grin:

The only two interesting elements this year's (2010) "train station" includes, are the taxi and the pedestrian bridge.

Actually, as you probably know, this "new" train station is pretty much a modern remake of 7822. So what we could expect with Trains, just as is the case with many of LEGO's other series, is probably another revisit or two of older and more or less forgotten sets. For example, I wouldn't be too surprised to see 4554 make a comeback at one point, albeit as a new, modernized set, not a "legends" re-relase.

Another thing we should expect is for LEGO to continue their Trains policy which they've pretty much kept the same since they introduced 9V. Which is simple - keep Train sets to a minimum and only introduce new sets every few years. We've had a train station, level crossing AND two trains in 2010, not to mention 2009's Emerald Night. I don't think we could ask for much more. As they say - for everything else, there's MOCcing.

Keeping my fingers crossed for that. Actually, have LEGO scrapped the entire Factory line? I would love to see another set follow in the steps of "Hobby Trains" - although I know it's highly unlikely.

We should get at least one more thing: PF motor sold separately. TLG is still selling old type motor (for RC trains), which doesn't make any sense.

Well, it makes sense to them! They have to clear out their inventory to make room for new stuff.

For the buyers, yes, it makes sense to wait until we can buy the new motors that are clearly much better.

Some time ago it was officially announced that there won't be any additional train cars for the EN - so there even won't be some.

Plus a new engine, train car(s) or a complete train is unrealistic to believe for 2011 since we got trains this year and the EN last year.

So if there will be a new Trains set in 2011 at all - whether as regular set or as Exclusive - it very supposably will be a trackside structure set.

Actually, as you probably know, this "new" train station is pretty much a modern remake of 7822. So what we could expect with Trains, just as is the case with many of LEGO's other series, is probably another revisit or two of older and more or less forgotten sets. For example, I wouldn't be too surprised to see 4554 make a comeback at one point, albeit as a new, modernized set, not a "legends" re-relase.

I totally agree with you, MetroiD!

Since this year's train station is more only some sort of train stop and consequently much too small for a decent train station, a re-design of 4554 (whether released as regular set or as Exclusive) is really necessary and would be :wub: :wub: :wub: !

So let's hope!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter