Here comes the second in a series of reviews of the new 2009 sets.

The packaging:

8264 has 575 pieces and comes in a large hinged box. Like other recent sets, you have to destroy the edges of the box to open it.. The images below show the front and the back.

8264_1.jpg

8264_2.jpg

The instructions come in two large booklets. The secondary model instructions are not included but can be downloaded. There's also a sticker sheet.

8264_3.jpg

The parts come in 4 large numbered bags, with the Power Functions elements separate. Each numbered bag corresponds to a discrete sub assembly of the model which can be assembled at the end.

8264_4.jpg

There are a fair number of extra parts.

8264_5.jpg

The new parts:

The new parts include new large panels. The panels are 5x11 with 5 holes on the ends and 7 on the sides. There are 4 holes on the face at the corners. Like some of the other new parts, these seem not to be made of ABS but something softer. There are 6 of these parts included.

There are also 4 of the new T shaped beams, which are very useful. They look exactly like you would expect them to.

There is also one of the new 9L axles.

8264_6.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the beams embedded in the side of the panels are slightly narrower than a standard beam. An inserted pin sticks all the way through. I'm not entirely sure why they did this. I later figured it out.

8264_7.jpg

The model:

Here we can see the subassemblies and how they combine into the final model.

8264_8.jpg

8264_9.jpg

8264_10.jpg

The features:

The hood opens and there is an "engine" inside. Unfortunately, it is made out of crappy bionicle parts and has no actual function. Too bad, because there was room for an engine in here.

8264_11.jpg

The chassis articulates in the middle at a turntable. The hand of god control at the top drives the outer ring gear of the turntable. This allows the model to turn quite sharply.

8264_12.jpg

The bed dumps very quickly. With the switch on the battery box having OFF in the middle, it is hard to shut it off at the end of travel. A polarity switch would have been nice.

8264_13.jpg

The M motor drives the linear actuator directly. Since there is no external clutch gear, the clutch in the actuator slips instead of stalling the motor. It makes a horrible sound when this happens.

8264_14.jpg

The verdict: :thumbup:

The final result is pretty good. It is big, yet attractive, like my ex-wife. It is also not very functional and highly overpriced, like my ex-wife.

8264iso.JPG

It is an excellent looking model with great tires. However, it seems like we are paying for the Power Functions rather than traditional mechanical functions, as there really aren't any. There are virtually no gears. The raising bed works great, but that's really all it does. So it is a nice set with a lot of good parts, but I think I would have actually liked it better without the motor. Still, I recommend it if you have the money.

How big is it? Let's look at it next to an older dump truck.

8264_16.jpg

It also fits in very well with all of the other recent studless construction vehicles.

8264_17.jpg

The music:

I listened to "Permission to Land" by The Darkness during this build. It worked great since it kept me from concentrating too hard.

This should be showing up everywhere in stores now, so here's your chance to get the biggest model of 1H2009!

Edited by Blakbird

Great review! I saw this at TRU today while doing some window shopping. I'm a bit intrigued by this set, but somthing is hoilding me back from buying it. Oh ya, the fact that i'm broke! :tongue:

But seriously, this set does seem to be lacking. I can apreacaite the power functions, but for the price, it just... Well... lacks. I'm wondering how hard it would be to add a working engine.

Also, this is the first time i think i'd preffer to build the alternate model. Reason being ithe flat bed seems to be more usful transporting equipment or even the cool converatble.

This model is a disappointment to me too. I was expecting to see an engine, especially since the S@H description talks about opening the hood. Those big pieces on the dumper were also unnecessary and it could have been easily built with standard studless beams. As you said, the price tag seems to come from the Power Functions here, although even the PF Cherry Picker from this year has more pieces and functionality at a lower price. I can't see myself buying this unless I find it at a heavy discount. Thanks for the in-depth review of everything though.

I like the new T beam though. Those could come in handy in many places.

The tiny bulldozer is actually looking like the best Technic model to me among the early 2009 sets.

It is big, yet attractive, like my ex-wife. It is also not very functional and highly overpriced, like my ex-wife.

:laugh:

The tiny bulldozer is actually looking like the best Technic model to me among the early 2009 sets.

I agree that the tiny bulldozer looks great, and I do not have that one yet (or the go kart). The little tractor is quite good for the size and the red off road truck is pretty good too.

If I wasn't jaded by years of Technic collecting, I would probably like the 8464 Hauler very much. It is not a bad set at all. It just seems somehow lacking when compared with some of it's predecessors. 8455 didn't cost much more but has massively more functionality. To me it seems like a continuing symptom of TLG's decreasing opinion of the intelligence of children. The color coded gears, axles, and pins, the simple instructions with huge numbers of steps, the numbered bags. They seem to think that kids have a very short attention span these days and need their hands held. Therefore a simple direct drive motorized bed wins out over a gear system because it "looks cool". And I agree that it does look cool!! I like motorized functions. I'd just like some mechanics to go with it.

Certainly beats 2004 though. Technic is getting better and better since then.

Thanks for the review. :sweet: I wanted this set... until I saw the price. Now I want it even less. Two functions? This is worse than the cherry picker; at least that had a transmission controlled rotate/elevate. I expected this to at least have an engine.

It's a shame as I wanted the new panels... :cry_sad:

Thanks for this review.

This set has been around some time here in the Dutch stores and every time I visit one I am having a look at it. I liked it at first glance but I was (and still am) held back by the price. It is 70 euro's out here and that is way too much!

The design still looks nice and now that I have seen a picture of this set next to the 8479 and 8421 (thanks for that) I realise that this dumptruck is a really huge vehicle, something that can't be seen anymore on TLC's computerized box arts. That cuts down on my feeling of over-pricedness.

This set combines the features of two sets I still want to purchase some day, the cherry picker truck and this years 8294 digger. I think however I will buy these two sets instead of this dumper.

It's a shame as I wanted the new panels... :cry_sad:

Well, no need to buy an overpriced set just for those panels: there's always Bricklink and in time the panels will appear in many different sets, I suppose...

Edited by simonwillems

This set combines the features of two sets I still want to purchase some day, the cherry picker truck and this years 8294 digger. I think however I will buy these two sets instead of this dumper.

I have both; I think it would be a better plan. Much better part selection. The only down sides are none of the new panels or the yellow hubs.

Well, no need to buy an overpriced set just for those panels: there's always Bricklink and in time the panels will appear in many different sets, I suppose...

Too true! I'll save my money for another overpriced set! :tongue:

Thanks Eric, for another great review.

In fact functionality seems to be to less, for the price to pay.

It worths mainly for the new parts, in my perspective.

Just waitting for my order, to have one too! :classic:

This is a real shame,

The going price in the UK fopr this set is £48.95 for this we get a inear actuator, battery box and a M motor,

Lets think back to what good value the big bulldozer was 2 years ago, £75 in the sales, battery box, remote control, 2 infra red receivers, 2 XL motors and 2 M motors

this really is a £35 set and that would have been with a working motor under the hood, real disappointment

Roll on some better sets in the 2nd half of the year

Paul

If I wasn't jaded by years of Technic collecting, I would probably like the 8464 Hauler very much. It is not a bad set at all. It just seems somehow lacking when compared with some of it's predecessors. 8455 didn't cost much more but has massively more functionality. To me it seems like a continuing symptom of TLG's decreasing opinion of the intelligence of children. The color coded gears, axles, and pins, the simple instructions with huge numbers of steps, the numbered bags. They seem to think that kids have a very short attention span these days and need their hands held. Therefore a simple direct drive motorized bed wins out over a gear system because it "looks cool". And I agree that it does look cool!! I like motorized functions. I'd just like some mechanics to go with it.

I'm in the same boat as you. This is not such a bad set in itself but it pales in comparison to a lot of earlier sets, even recent ones. It does look quite nice and the size is comparable to previous flagship sets in your picture, but the mechanics just aren't there for something this expensive, and I don't like how they cheaped out on the dump bed with those new pieces. In the initial pictures it looked like this set contained a large quantity of yellow beams there, which might have made it worth the price by themselves.

The funny thing is that I find the baby instruction steps actually make it easier to mess up if you don't follow them very carefully, since you frequently do not get a sense of the "big picture" while building and the purpose of many sub-assemblies isn't really clear until you put them all together towards the end. The completely studless style also contributes to this and makes it harder to correct mistakes that are deep within the model, due to the way the models are often built from the inside out rather than bottom-to-top like the old studded models.

You really get the feeling that Lego is trying to push power functions too much. The Dozer was a gigantic introduction which really showed what the system can do but the last sets with power functions (Cherry Picker, Off-Roader and now the Hauler) are more of a disappointment.

The Cherry Picker was actually a pretty decent set and at least uses the motor for more than one function. The lifting arm could have used an additional degree of freedom, but the functionality is still not bad for its size and price. However, the other two models haven't really impressed me at all.

This is a common issue in the motorized sets from the last few years, with the exception of the big Bulldozer. There is a lack of integration of the motor into the model and it often feels like the motor could have been used to do more, given the extra cost it's adding to the set. For example, with this Hauler it would have been nice to see a transmission switch to have the motor power the wheels and let the model move around.

Edited by CP5670

I've always felt that the linear actuators could have been used for steering in a set like this or a front-wheel loader, as these are vehicles that commonly use linear actuators for steering, if not mechanically. Not seeing one is a dissapointment, but I haven't given up yet.

As for this set, I can't help but think that the alternate model looks, and probably functions, way better than the main. Is there a chance we might see a review of the alternate model, Blakbird?

As for this set, I can't help but think that the alternate model looks, and probably functions, way better than the main. Is there a chance we might see a review of the alternate model, Blakbird?

There's always a chance! But I wouldn't want to take too much time away from my critical project of modeling the 8868 pneumatic truck in MLCAD. :classic:

Eric, thanks for your detailed review of this set. I saw this set at TRU right before Christmas, and I almost bought it, until I saw that TRU wanted $80 for this!!

I’m glad I waited, because I’m also very disappointed by this set. As others have pointed out, the aesthetics are very good, but the functionality is very poor for a set of this size and cost. For this price, I was hoping the turning plate would rotate as well as swivel, just like in a real articulated dump truck. While the linear actuator is perfect for lifting the dump bed, it seems that the design cost for this piece is very high. Even the structure of this set does not lend itself to adding additional functionality, since there is no drive train and no easy way to add one. Unlike the 8292 Cherry Picker and 8294 Excavator, there doesn’t even seem to be much point in adding a PF receiver to this set. I also think the alternate build looks like a crappier version of the B model in the 8292.

On a positive note, I do like the use of the wheel pieces in yellow, as those will be useful for other construction MOCs. I’m also happy to see that they included a couple of tiles and stickers for the rear-view mirrors, as this has been a pet peeve of mine in the 8292.

So, for me, this set is strictly a clearance or deep discount purchase.

On a side note, Eric, thanks for the awesome job you are doing with Technopedia. Many of the early Technic sets were released during my dark ages, and your site does a fantastic job of explaining and illustrating all the cool mechanisms. In fact, it’s sad to see how much the 8264 represents such a reversal of form over function from the old Technic days. :cry_sad:

Edited by Tomahawker

I just picked this set up from Argos in the UK for 25% discount, a more realistic price point for the features you get.

I love the steering, can perform very tight turns, i actually like the independent rear swinging suspension.

I even like the tipping mechanism, although i wish they had a slip cog to avoid that inbuilt grinding noise of the linear actuator clutch slipping, this is not a plesent sound

shame that is all the features this set had but at 25% discount i think it is more affordable now

Paul

picked up this set just recently from TRU at 20% off. I wasn't too impressed by it initially and decided like a lot of other members that it would be a clearance purchase only. However, even at 20% off, it was still $63; I'm not sure I want to keep it still so I've not opened it and kept the receipt in case I wanted to return it. The new container truck in 2010 might be more interesting, though I have a thing for yellow construction technic and the new contanier truck isn't yellow (but I'm sure I could replace all the blue parts with yellow ones through bricklink).

I've been doing a bit of searching and have really not found any modifications to this set to make it any better.

I've also been wondering if it were possible to modify the set to make it PF-less and use them for other sets/MOC. Hand of God operation and turning knobs to perform some of the basic functions (not that this set has much functionality to offer to begin with) of this set would be totally acceptable for me.

Lastly, what sort of Technic construction sets would look good on the flat-bed of the B-model?

Judging from the pic of this hauler with other construction sets, I'm thinking the flat-bed is at a decent size for the new upcoming 2010 Technic flagship set, the remote controlled excavator.

Any ideas/comments/links?

Edited by j3tang

The new container truck in 2010 might be more interesting

Wrong. It will be as poor as the 8264. :hmpf:

I've been doing a bit of searching and have really not found any modifications to this set to make it any better.

I've also been wondering if it were possible to modify the set to make it PF-less and use them for other sets/MOC. Hand of God operation and turning knobs to perform some of the basic functions (not that this set has much functionality to offer to begin with) of this set would be totally acceptable for me.

You may find some ideas there : http://www.setechnic.com/Forum/topic2845.html :wink:

I got this set cheap off ebay a little while ago.

Dissappointed with the main model..

But I very much liked the alternate model... even the simple mechanism of the tailgate folding down is very well done.

My 2 year old nephew plays with it a lot... He likes putting another vehicle on the tray, then tilting it back, and watching it roll down! lots of fun.

But he does have difficulty in getting the power switch back to the centre.. I think I might modify it, with a bigger lever, or the polarity switch.. so I don't hear so much grinding!

Funny.. he's fine with the studless technic... it's proven to be very robust in the hands of a 2 year old.. he drives it around the floor, and rarely breaks anything off.. unlike some of the small creator/system sets.

He often runs to my lego room when visiting.. and I have a feeling, that even at 2 years old, he knows the technic kits are WAY cooler than the Duplo he has at home! :)

RB

I actually bought this set for the B-model.. I wanted a flat-bed truck :) But some modifications will be done to the cabin.

If you want to snazz-up your 8264 Hauler, you could do some mods like these:

FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE, Skid-Steering Hauler: "2 M-motors for propulsion and steering...made the dump feature work remotely and added lights....1 remote (soon to be 2), 3 M-motors, 1 Battery Box, 2 IR receivers, and lights": http://mocpages.com/moc.php/175637 . :classic:

12622179906_DISPLAY.jpg

PHOTO-SEQUENCE BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS for similar 8264 Mods from NXTLiftboy: http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x249/NX...rection=reverse from http://mocpages.com/moc.php/112750 .

12400688991_DISPLAY.jpg

I actually bought this set for the B-model.. I wanted a flat-bed truck :) But some modifications will be done to the cabin.

mind sharing what you're using the B-model for? :)

what did you place on the back?

If you want to snazz-up your 8264 Hauler, you could do some mods like these:

FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE, Skid-Steering Hauler: "2 M-motors for propulsion and steering...made the dump feature work remotely and added lights....1 remote (soon to be 2), 3 M-motors, 1 Battery Box, 2 IR receivers, and lights": http://mocpages.com/moc.php/175637 . :classic:

12622179906_DISPLAY.jpg

PHOTO-SEQUENCE BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS for similar 8264 Mods from NXTLiftboy: http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x249/NX...rection=reverse from http://mocpages.com/moc.php/112750 .

12400688991_DISPLAY.jpg

Thanks for those links!