Brick de-yellowing techniques

199 replies to this topic

#1 Sting

Sting

Member: 212

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:18 AM

Okay, I know that cigarette smoke and sunlight cause yellowing...

For sunlight, is it DIRECT sunlight, as in, Beams shining onto the Lego for prolonged periods of time. Or if a room, lit technically by sunlight during the day (no direct light shining in the room or onto the lego), will that cause yellowing?

#2 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:45 AM

Direct sunlight will make the bricks yellow faster, but even casual exposure to natural light over a prolonged period of time will cause them to yellow.  Nothing lasts forever, so don't worry about it.  You can't exactly lock yourself in a room and ONLY have your lego there, now can you?  Where's the fun in that?

#3 Sting

Sting

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:07 AM

I'm sure most Lego fans could have fun in a room with just lego LOL. Lego and some Chips (or crisps for the British :) ) in a room. That would be good. LOL.

But I understand what you mean. I am not sure what to do than. I guess I just cannot keep my lego displayed in my room too long, as I dont want my entire collection of white going bad  :'-(

#4 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

i wouldn't dramatise, really. just keep it out of the sun...

#5 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:50 AM

Well, that's why I said prolonged  ;-)   Nothing is going to happen on a timescale you will notice.

#6 natelite

natelite

• fewer calories than regular nate

Member: 718

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

i recently got a very old box of lego from my parents (from my childhood). some pieces did not age at all. others have yellowed so much. they are on the same minifig too. i'm not quite sure what causes it since if it was purely sunlight i'm sure the entire figure would have yellowed. i have a space police buggy, and only one piece in the prison transporter yellowed but the rest were still okay. it's quite puzzling for me to be honest.

i'm speculating here but i think the yellowing may have been caused by oily hands or sweaty palms and exposure to sunlight. we all know if white t-shirts aren't washed properly, it will yellow over time even if you kept it in a dark closet. i think to preserve your lego, if you are going to store it for a while, to wash it clean first before leaving it in an encased display unit.

#7 Lego Amaryl

Lego Amaryl

Member: 712

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

Yes, not all white bricks yellow. I have seen hospitals with some bricks that have become tannish, and other bricks still white. In the same set, exposed to the same light during the years...

#8 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

• Member of the stwnfbjs Club

Member: 822

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

I try to keep my lego room as dark as possible.
When nobody is in there, it is 100% dark!

I did read of a technique on how to make white pieces that yellowed again white.
I think it was with bleach water...
Don't remember where that was mentioned |-/

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#9 Norro

Norro

• Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist

Member: 315

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

View PostStarwars4J, on Dec 7 2006, 07:45 AM, said:

...but even casual exposure to natural light over a prolonged period of time will cause them to yellow.  Nothing lasts forever, so don't worry about it.

Begins nailing boards over windows and ordering a 'de-pressurizing kit' from the back of popular mechanics... X-D

God Bless,

Nathan
Posted Image

#10 Serengeti

Serengeti

Member: 1040

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

The easy solution is to play with your lego whilst wearing night-vision goggles.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MinifigTimes.com    Leaving no brick unturned in the search for scandals

#11 Sting

Sting

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:49 PM

View PostCalvin, on Dec 7 2006, 04:59 PM, said:

The easy solution is to play with your lego whilst wearing night-vision goggles.

Lol! Sold!

#12 Phred

Phred

• Kinda back

Member: 1037

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

View PostCalvin, on Dec 7 2006, 10:59 AM, said:

you know of a good brand of night vision goggles by chance?

View Postbonaparte, on Dec 7 2006, 09:19 AM, said:

I did read of a technique on how to make white pieces that yellowed again white.

My lego room has one small window. it's on the north side of the house.  but i think i'll cover it up to help prevent yellowing
hmm, i wonder if bleach water would work.  That'd be flippin sweet!  I've got a lot of pale yellow bricks (white).

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image

#13 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:22 PM

View Postbonaparte, on Dec 7 2006, 04:19 PM, said:

we do have a topic about that, sure... ;-)

the main thing is that it seems bleach is NOT good for your bricks after all

#14 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:13 AM

View Postsnefroe1, on Dec 8 2006, 12:22 AM, said:

we do have a topic about that, sure... ;-)

the main thing is that it seems bleach is NOT good for your bricks after all
From what I can remember, the bleach only worked for bricks that were originally white.
It was not suited for other colors.

But on CC I found an interesting experiment using Hydrogen Peroxide:

Posted Image
Day #1

An assortment of discolored "classic" light grey and white bricks, saving some of similar discoloration out as a control.  The picture on the upper left is with a flash, the other without.  Here you can see some of the white bricks are badly discolored.  The light grey bricks have roughly the same amount of discoloration and are about the same color.

Posted Image
(Day #25)

The containment unit.  Hydrogen Peroxide is basically made up of water molecules with an extra oxygen atom.  Because of this, it is relatively unstable, reacting to both air and water, and gives its free oxygen atom up easily.  To counteract this, I stored the bricks and peroxide in an air tight container in an unused cabinet.

Posted Image
Day #25

*obligatory 'whoosh' noise as the containment vessel opens*

Posted Image
Day #25 - White Bricks

Here you can see the white bricks that were soaked lying on a new white baseplate, along with one of the control white bricks.  The white bricks were not totally whitened 100%, but they were considerablly better in color than the control.  

I theorize a few more weeks and they would whiten further.

Posted Image
Day #25 - Light Grey Bricks

I'm not sure what to make of this.  On top you can see the control Light Grey brick, and on the bottom you can see a new Light Grey brick.

Inbetween it looks almost as if there are two Very Light Grey colored bricks and one "New" or "Bley" Light Grey Brick.  Had they all turned lighter, I would have surmised that their color had been bleached out.  As it is, I have no idea what to think.

Posted Image

#15 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

Since I'm sorting all my bricks, I discovered a lot of my original white bricks are yellowed.
There's a thread discussing de-yellowing using bleach and one using Hydrogen Peroxide.
However, for my experiment I'm using chloor (NatriumHypochloriet) with is a strong anti-oxidant.
And since yellowing of Lego is caused by oxidization (photodegradation) of the plastic, this seems like a useful experiment to do.

--> Try this at your own risk! NatriumHypochloriet is a dangerous product !!!

This experiment  started today (18/11 - 4pm):

Two very yellowed wings from my old airplane will be used
One goes into the chloor, the other stays out and will be use to compare afterwards.

I'll post updates with the result.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Day 2 (after 24 hours):

I switched to another fluid after 4 hours because I was uncertain what effect the NatriumHypochloriet would have on the Lego.
I'll try again later with NatriumHypochloriet on a less important part  than my airplane wings.

Now I'm using this:  :-D

Posted Image

And here is a first result after 24 hours of de-yellowing:

Posted Image

This is going in the right direction!

Day 19:

This is certainly taking a long time. Here's an update after 19 days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Richard James

Richard James

Member: 1810

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

What you are using is industrial grade sodium hypochlorite solution also known as bleach - the stuff sold for domestic use is simply diluted.  It should be handled with care since it is not only corrosive but also gives off chlorine gas. It shoould only be used in a wellventilated space, you should wear gloves and eye protection at the very least, avoid inhaling the vapours and do NOT let it come into contact with any form of acid. Oh, and far from being an anti-oxidant it is in fact a very powerful oxidiser.

#17 Stauder

Stauder

• Beware, he's back!

Member: 1134

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:01 PM

View PostRichard James, on Nov 18 2007, 05:54 PM, said:

What you are using is industrial grade sodium hypochlorite solution also known as bleach - the stuff sold for domestic use is simply diluted.  It should be handled with care since it is not only corrosive but also gives off chlorine gas. It shoould only be used in a wellventilated space, you should wear gloves and eye protection at the very least, avoid inhaling the vapours and do NOT let it come into contact with any form of acid. Oh, and far from being an anti-oxidant it is in fact a very powerful oxidiser.

Hmmm.. I"d pay to see Boneparte"s Face after Reading that...  8-°

Stauder
Posted Image
The above is a paid advertisement by EuroBricks News FLC (Fake LEGO Company). Eurobricks News FLC is 45% Stauder™ (The Annoying Parts), 25% ImperialShadows™ (The Funny Parts), 10% Whitefang™ (The Reviewsy Parts), 7% Zepher™ (The Female Parts... er...) and 7% Stash2Sixx™ (The Photographic Parts).

The previously stated ingredients of EuroBricks News FLC are a trade secret and if you tell anyone I will stab you. In the eye. With a titanium spork.
EuroBricks News FLC is a Trademark of the EB News Team. © EB News 2006 -THE FUTURE!™

#18 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:04 PM

View PostRichard James, on Nov 18 2007, 05:54 PM, said:

I should have studied chemistry  :-D
Do you think this will make the Lego white?

Posted Image

#19 UniqueBuilder

UniqueBuilder

• Mr. Dark Ages

Member: 1075

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:52 PM

Richard beat me to it; sodium hypochlorite is the same as bleach, just more concentrated. :-$

View PostBonaparte, on Nov 18 2007, 06:04 PM, said:

I should have studied chemistry  :-D
Do you think this will make the Lego white?
Yes! It is bleach after all. :-P  And I can't stress that enough; do NOT let it come in contact with acids!  :'-(

"I respect 50 Cent. He's the only person known to make 'me', 'me' and 'see' rhyme with the letter P."
-erikutt

The Dark Ages got me... Smell ya later!

#20 Derek

Derek

• Sith no more

Member: 2075

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:47 PM

I cannot believe how yellow those pieces got!  8-°  What causes them to get like that?

View PostIgnited_Impulse, on 20 September 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

Dude, you've got a Final Fantasy sig and you're on a lego forum....arguing about elves. Try not to think you're some cool guy because you don't play D&D
My Flickr Account

#21 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

View Postdarthperson8, on Nov 18 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

I cannot believe how yellow those pieces got!  8-°  What causes them to get like that?
Sun! Just let your bricks undr your winows for months and tadaaa! I've got some same colored pieces... :'-(

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Lord Of Pies

Lord Of Pies

• Official Pirate Set Reviewer, who's back into pirates!

Member: 2085

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

View Postalex54, on Nov 18 2007, 10:00 PM, said:

Sun! Just let your bricks undr your winows for months and tadaaa! I've got some same colored pieces... :'-(

Me too!

And are you saying I should stop drinking bleach? 8-°  ;-)
Are you hasty for a tasty pastry?

#23 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:42 AM

View Postdarthperson8, on Nov 18 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

Like Alex54 indicated, this is because of the sun.
When I was a child, the room were I played had an entire window-wall.
And there was sun on those windows the entire afternoon.
The result is that several of those old bricks from my childhood are in bad shape.

After 4 hours I expected a bit of result with the NatriumHypochloriet but I couldn't notice any difference.
So I have switched to Javel (Bleach?) which is probably less dangerous.

Posted Image

#24 john cleese

john cleese

Member: 610

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:01 AM

how much sun is required to discolour them? My collection is in clear ziplocs in my dads loft, which has two mindows but very little sun gets in through one because of the surrounding buildings. The other window is at the opposite end of the room. Are my peices safe?

#25 Jipay

Jipay

• Steve Wet

Member: 1

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

Next step shall be an acid solution...

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Lasse