Sign in to follow this  
t-brick

[Local Landmark] HVB TowerMunich

This is my entry for the "Local Landmarks" contest! My model shows a modern building complex that is only a few kilometres away from me in the northeastern part of the city of Munich.

It's the "HVB Tower Munich", an administrative bank building (of the HypoVereinsbank). It was completed in 1981 and is still in use, now under monumental protection. With 113m it's one of the highest buildings in Munich (which is not known for skyscrapers :-) ).

Even as a kid I was fascinated by this building. Parts of it were build upside down because the floors are hanging down from the supporting columns! Around the central tower there are several lower buldings that belong to the complex. Most of the roofs are planted and there is also a lot of green around the site.

The challenge when building this in LEGO was to depict all the different angles, the intricate and nested bulding structures and the planted and glass roofs. I chose the subdued sand green for grass and low vegetation and bright lime for trees and bushes to make for an interesting color combination.

hvb-tower_t-brick_01.jpg

hvb-tower_t-brick_02.jpg

hvb-tower_t-brick_03.jpg

hvb-tower_t-brick_04.jpg

hvb-tower_t-brick_05.jpg

hvb-tower_real.jpg

You can find some more pictures and information about the real building here: http://www.hvb-tower...x.php?id=25&L=1

On Google there is a 3D model: https://www.google.d...65!4d11.6174009

Thanks for holding this competition and good luck to all participants!

Bye,

Thilo (t-brick)

It's an interesting building in real life, but you did a great job representing it in Lego. It's a good size and with the different angles, I'd buy it if it was a real set.

Guess I'm not winning this contest :tongue:

Wow, very unique building! Never heard of this one. It's so geometrically unique, it looks somewhat surreal.

Great job with your model. You have incorporated some very subtle shaping and textures and the scaling looks accurate.

I really like your model. Not only the beautifully executed architectural details but the colour combination too.I am well impressed.

Such a bizarre construction, and your rendition captures all of the shapes so well. Incredible effort.

I am really loving on this model which deftly captures some of the quirky attributes of a really unique building that I wasn't familiar with until seeing your model.

The building's unique form defies categorization; is it an early expression of the current "High-tech Modernism" trend, a very abstract Postmodern form, or a late Brutalist form of traditionally Modernist materials?

I proudly added this to my collection of amazing Postmodern LEGO models (had to put it somewhere) here: https://www.pinterest.com/tomalphin/lego-architecture-postmodern/

Thanks again for sharing!

---tom