Sign in to follow this  
Pirate Maniac

Esperanza portuaria

Hey all,

I am planning on making this in sections, this is the first of most likely only two. The second will be an extention of buildings.

I'm pleased with the rifle slits, I might be adding more opposite the first ones so they can fire upon invaders which have stormed the town (namely my pirates). The gap between the walls is sixteen studs wide, so if my ship were to try and get in for some bizaar reason, it would fit. I'm probably going to remodel the wooden area, or get rid of it all togethor.

The building you see is "The Tall Tails Tavern", which I doubt shall be recieving a second level. I'm planning on adding a market an administration building, trading post and some houses.

Suggestions most welcome.

P.S, a big cannon:

biggun.jpg

Links (thanks to Phred)

portwip1.jpg_thumb.jpg,portwip2.jpg_thumb.jpg,portwip3.jpg_thumb.jpg,portwip4.jpg_thumb.jpg,portwip5.jpg_thumb.jpg

Click on thumbnails to view larger image

Links

I took the liberty of making thumb-links for your links. ;-)

You may edit this into your first post if you like.

[Edit: links got added]

That's a nice start for a fort. *y*

I'm looking forward to it's progress.

I added your large cannon into the Index of MOC Cannons

P

An ok start there, but it suffers a bit from the "big grey wall syndrome"... you should really keep the old greys from the light greys btw, they just look yellowed and dirty otherwise..

That cannon looks really good though!

An ok start there, but it suffers a bit from the "big grey wall syndrome"... you should really keep the old greys from the light greys btw, they just look yellowed and dirty otherwise..

That cannon looks really good though!

I'm getting to like the idea of mixing bley with gray to get more of a brick look on the structure.

Although personally i probably wouldn't mix light bley with gray cause i have a real hard time telling them apart most of the time.

Although more windows (or slits) on the walls would break up the big gray wall feel.

P

I took the liberty of making thumb-links for your links. ;-)

You may edit this into your first post if you like.

I added your large cannon into the Index of MOC Cannons

Phred! You're on fire this week! You're doing all good things! *y*

I shall add the thumbnails to his first post since he won't be able to copy & paste the BB Code directly.

I'm getting to like the idea of mixing bley with gray to get more of a brick look on the structure.

What about mixing old grey with the new light stone grey? Has anybody tried that before?

Phred! You're on fire this week! You're doing all good things! *y*

I shall add the thumbnails to his first post since he won't be able to copy & paste the BB Code directly.

What about mixing old grey with the new light stone grey? Has anybody tried that before?

more ports i love it! lol

also... i dont think mixing grays is a bad thing, i agree that it makes it look more like a structure. Also, getting enough bley or gray pieces to complete a structure is becoming increasingly difficult as of late.

Thanks for the comments,

I'll be making an order from the online pick a brick, to get more 4 x 4 blue plates, 1 x 1 bley bricks with holes through the middle and some arches and slopes to make the walls more elaborate.

I made an order for 600 4 x 1 bley pieces for castle building and such, and I can never really see the colour differention in my creations, and if I do I don't really mind it. SO yes there will be water on all the parts which aren't raised.

Thanks for adding the cannon also :)

Thanks for the comments,

I'll be making an order from the online pick a brick, to get more 4 x 4 blue plates, 1 x 1 bley bricks with holes through the middle and some arches and slopes to make the walls more elaborate.

I made an order for 600 4 x 1 bley pieces for castle building and such, and I can never really see the colour differention in my creations, and if I do I don't really mind it. SO yes there will be water on all the parts which aren't raised.

Thanks for adding the cannon also :)

so you use TLG's pick a brick online feature, how is that price wise compared to bricklink?

so you use TLG's pick a brick online feature, how is that price wise compared to bricklink?

In my experience, PaB has a lot fewer choices on bricks, but they're all new ;-)

The prices are generally comparable to each other. Although shipping is more expensive through PaB.

I just get enough bricks @ PaB to max out how much i can order for the same price in shipping when ordering a set or two from Lego.

There's a thread that talks about BL and PaB called Building from Bricklink.

P

Are the bricks in the below picture using different shades of grey, or are some just discoloured old grey?

portwip1.jpg

Although more windows (or slits) on the walls would break up the big gray wall feel.

Good idea Phred!

If I may offer a few other suggestions...

Another way to decrease big gray wall syndrome is to make parts of the walls jut out or in to add some decoration, or gun ports! If you search for Torre de Bellum or the Fortress at Port Brighton in the forum for a few examples of this technique!

I would add some sort of stairs or ladder to the interiors as well to access the different levels in the towers...

I would also not mix midstone (new light gray) with the old. They are hard to tell apart, and the new color looks a little more 'plasticee'. I also wouldn't mix old dark gray with dark bluish gray as they look funny together too... but any other combo I think looks looks decent!

Anyways, since you are just starting the MOC I will let you get a little more done before continuing the discussion!

Are the bricks in the below picture using different shades of grey, or are some just discoloured old grey?

portwip1.jpg

I think they are just discolored my man!

I would also not mix midstone (new light gray) with the old. They are hard to tell apart, and the new color looks a little more 'plasticee'. I also wouldn't mix old dark gray with dark bluish gray as they look funny together too... but any other combo I think looks looks decent!

Actually, the mixing makes it a little more realistic. Over the ages, I'd think: "Sun going east-west everyday", so I'd imagine different colors about.

Bley and Drk Gry is a combo I like. It makes more realism, I think. Uniform colors are nice, but so is this!

:capn:

Actually, the mixing makes it a little more realistic. Over the ages, I'd think: "Sun going east-west everyday", so I'd imagine different colors about.

Bley and Drk Gry is a combo I like. It makes more realism, I think. Uniform colors are nice, but so is this!

:capn:

Maybe I am prejudiced because I HATE bley! midstone is okay, but it sometimes looks a little too plastic-ee for my tastes. Here, i think the mixing actually looks pretty good!

What about adding some plants?

Having these as creepers can break the monotony of grey

2417.png

Or perhaps if you're looking for something more tropicial, have these protruding...

30239.jpg

Maybe I am prejudiced because I HATE bley! midstone is okay, but it sometimes looks a little too plastic-ee for my tastes. Here, i think the mixing actually looks pretty good!

What's midstone 8-| ? Is that bley?

I only know of light and dark gray and light and dark bley X-D

What about adding some plants?

Having these as creepers can break the monotony of grey

2417.png

Or perhaps if you're looking for something more tropicial, have these protruding...

30239.jpg

Good idea Mr. P! *y*

That'd be a real good way to get rid of the big gray wall feel.

P

What's midstone 8-| ? Is that bley?

I only know of light and dark gray and light and dark bley X-D

Peeron calls light bluish gray midstone, so that is what I call it too I guess... heh- whatever!

Dark Bley = DkStone

Light bley = MidStone

Very light bley = LtStone

I think. The last colour is the rarest as far as I know, although I'm not an expert in new sets :)

EDIT: See the peeron colour chart: http://peeron.com/inv/colors

I thinks this is a rather good start.

The MOC will look very different once you have more blue plates for the water and added some vegetation (as suggested by Mr. Phes).

I don't really mind the mixing of gray, bley or yellowed gray. It gives the MOC a realistic touch.

While there's nothing wrong with mottlling, it's even a very good technique for breaking up "boring" walls I don

Dark Bley = DkStone

Light bley = MidStone

Very light bley = LtStone

I think. The last colour is the rarest as far as I know, although I'm not an expert in new sets :)

EDIT: See the peeron colour chart: http://peeron.com/inv/colors

Ha! I didn't even know there was a 'very light gray'! Good job Dreamweb! The link will make me look like I know what I am talking about when I say midstone... I like that they have the BL colors names listed there too! I was also unaware there was a Very Light Bley... but I guess if you have a 'midstone', you better have a 'lightstone' too!!

While there's nothing wrong with mottlling, it's even a very good technique for breaking up "boring" walls I don

Ha. Since I live in the US I call 'grey'', 'gray', but I don't want to call 'blue gray' 'blay', as that looks silly, so I write 'bley' instead... it is kind weird to think about that... maybe from now on I will always write 'grey' instead... I still refused to write 'colour' though!

Bah.. you Americans can't spell properly :-$

.... says the Swede :-D

Ha. Since I live in the US I call 'grey'', 'gray', but I don't want to call 'blue gray' 'blay', as that looks silly, so I write 'bley' instead... it is kind weird to think about that... maybe from now on I will always write 'grey' instead... I still refused to write 'colour' though!

I do the same thing :-D

blay does just look silly |-/

Bah.. you Americans can't spell properly :-$

.... says the Swede :-D

Oh i say we spell words of the American language really well thank you ;-)

Hey Mr. Maniac,

any progress on this MOC?

P