Mike S

The Fury of the Wave Elemental

My wife and I took turns being sick this week so I had to choose whether to enter a MOC that I'm not too satisfied with or tear down what I've worked on so far and just not enter. Also I had overestimated my supply of "water" pieces so I might not have been able to finish what I had planned even if I had the time. This is the first time I actually tried building a turbulent water scene and it has actually given me insight of techniques I would like to pursue further and techniques that I am canning even though others have used the techniques with decent results. So for better or worse here is my entry but note that because of the deadline, it is sort of in experimental stage and since I have no real interest in further perfecting an elemental (I think Gabe's water horse would have made the perfect elemental entry if he hadn't used it as a free build), this will be disassembed pretty quickly and put to better use.

My theory was to create a massive wave that when looked at from different angles would either look like either just a wave or a humanoid water elemental rising from the sea. The face is too blocky for my liking but as I am still not feeling well, I decided not to take the chance and try and take pics and post later.

SAM_0058.jpg

SAM_0060.jpg

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Wow! certainly I nice entry, different but nicedefault_satisfied.gif

~Dangerous

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Very nice Mikel!

I especially like the ears and the use of flippers. Your water effect makes me seasick already ha ha :sick: What a rough swell!

Hope you both feel better soon

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Sorry to hear you guys aren't feeling well. That being said, you still have some great features in this build. I think the flippers as the sail looks fantastic on this ship!

This is an awesome build! I love the fact that it is all microscale, and I think you've done a great job creating the water. I agree that the use of the flippers for the ship is a great idea and works well. I love the elemental rising out of the water too. This is a great entry, as all of yours have been.

That is one stormy sea I tell you! :classic: Fun to see some miocrobuilds! The island is really great! And as others have said, flippers as sails is a great idea! :thumbup:

I think you and your wife became sick afters seeing that sea :laugh:

I hope your getting better!

Anyway, I admire your micro-technic! Lovely ship and Isle!

Love the use of flippers for sails. And the fish is an excelent touch! :thumbup:

That's a terrifying beast. Hope your ship survived the assault!

Hope you and your wife get better.

For something you don't consider your best work, you still use a lot of cool details (like the legs for teeth, to name one.) I think the Elemental is creepy looking, in a very good way! And the perspective doesn't require any thought to see. Great job!

I agree. there are some very nice details in this build and while it might not live up to what you initially had in mind, I think it is a great MOC.

good job!

Nice microscale incorporation. Great compact build.

Great build on such a compact base. Very different but i like it. Great micro build usage!

Edited by Rolli

Hope you guys feel better soon!

I think you did a really good job on the rough swells look, I would not want to be out the sea right now. The micro boat is great too!

Thanks for all the comments! This "sprinkled" water brick technique is one that I'm canning. A little too random for my style. But it was interesting to try. I'm going to have to find a way to get more 1x1 rounds in a variety transparent blues cheaply so I can actually build what I envisioned for the sea.

We are feeling better! Another couple days we should be back to normal...default_satisfied.gif

That's a terrifying beast. Hope your ship survived the assault!

Fortunately due to an unexpected illness, default_blink.gif my ship did not set out with the fleet... Unfortunately though, it seems the fleet did not survive the assault....default_sad.gif

Damn Mikel, that is one creepy elemental! It looks positively gleeful about swamping that ship. :oh3: Great stuff. I like the way you have tried several different techniques in combination to construct the wave-scape... water is certainly tricky to get right! I find that understanding how waves behave is the key to get ocean scenes to look believeable. I do like your ocean scene though - it does look unexpected and even jarring in places, but it sort of has a stylised feel to it that is pretty cool. :thumbup:

So the only question remaining is - when are you going to post your awesome big ship?? :sweet:

ps. Glad you are starting to feel better now!

Edited by gabe

I sure feel sorry for the guys on that ship! Nice face on the elemental and some npu on the sails.