Sign in to follow this  
markus1984

[SoNE Episode VI] Searching on Ord Mantell - prehistory

That one is much better than my entry. You got the real junkyard vibe in here. Everything is perfect about this in my opinion. The colors, the foul-smelling water and all this stuff lying around.

Good luck with this one !

There is something about the lighting or colors you used that I really like here. The dbg looks especially dark, did you do something special to get this effect? The floating box is very cool. I think those back corners could use more clutter and maybe some light green ooze leaking out somewhere to emphasize the great dark pieces. A follow up shot of you two wading through the "water" might be cool, otherwise, where are y'all headed?

Nice creation! This one really reminds me of a junkyard.

What I really like about this vignette is the murky green water and the sinking crate. It totally reminds me of Raxus Prime from the video game "The Force Unleashed".

Thanks again to your feeback!

@goatman461

No, i only play a little bit with the lightning and the contrast - that was all.

where are y'all headed?? Sorry, i dont understand what you mean with this!

@Wat_Tambor

Absolut, i love the TFU parts and was an big inspration for me - Ord Mantell is one of my favourit planets.

markus

@goatman461

where are y'all headed?? Sorry, i dont understand what you mean with this!

He means, where are the two of you going (if not wading through the slime). "Y'all" is a contraction unique to the dialect of the American South, but occasionally used in other places familiar with the dialect of said region, and has the same as "you" with very relaxed connotations.

I like this vignette a lot, markus1984. It shows that you don't need a lot of pieces to accomplish awesome things.

The colors are indeed very nice here, with the contrast between the brown and the green. The small touches of dark brown add a lot of life, without making it look fragmented, as often happens when colors are mixed. The junk is nice as well, just the right size to be junk: big enough to be part of a ship, small enough to prevent everything from cluttering. There aren't really any creative parts usages in there, but it still gets the feeling across with a lot of clever tricks like the tilted crate or those pieces that are a bit suspended in the air. My only complaint would still be about the wreckage, though. They don't really look like they're parts that were left behind because they have no use. They still look useful. so it would have been nice to see some more larger panels, wrecky pieces of metal that are too beaten up to be of any use. And the other parts would have to look like they're broken more. Ways you can accomplish this, are to group certain parts, and make them look like they belong together. The trick then is to separate them somehow. An example will be clearer: say you have a piece of transmission equipment, with antennas. You can group some similar bars together for that. So you can have the two bars that once were a same antenna somewhat together, but still separated, at different angles, so that it really looks like it broke. Or there could be nasty toxic waste in the bins, so that they can't be used as well.

These are just some ideas to make junk look more like junk. If you're building something, you don't only have to think how it got there. Sometimes, you also have to consider why it is still there. Building a ruin in a city, for example, can only be done if it looks very ancient, and therefor has a different architectural style. I'm not sure if people will think it is better on first sight, but they will appreciate it when they take a closer look, and your builds will be more realistic in any way.

But of course, your builds already are so good and realistic. Just some small nuances are the only thing to be changed... Great job on making this another flawless build, and thanks again for joining the Empire!