matanui911

Review: Set 7236 Police Car

indexed.gif

Police was an original Lego theme since the beginning, and as the years went on they never seemed to stop making better police products. This police car is a jewel compared to any other police cars before it! Well here it is, set 7236!

Name: Police Car

Set Number: 7236

Theme: City

Sub-Theme: Police

Pieces: 61

Year: 2005

Minifigures: One

Price: 5.99 USD/ 6.99 EUR/ 3.89 GBP

Box and Instructions

3199812148_ef8d5007ac_o.jpg

3199812026_78b19c32d5.jpg

3199812078_ace9612af3.jpg

Parts

3201008457_57ba72bc99.jpg

It's a pretty nice assortment of pieces for a small set like this one. You can see that the bottom of the police car actually uses one pre-made piece as most new sets will have.

Minifigure

3199184591_8f48c4275e.jpg

He is a normal policeman with a basic smiling face. His shirt is printed very nice. It has a nice badge, and pockets. Too bad that he doesn't have a belt or something on his lower half. He has no print on his back, so I wont show it. He also includes a radio, and I love his gun. Oh wait, he doesn't have a gun. Police don't have guns, silly!

The Build

It is a pretty nice build for such a small set. Instead of using large, chunky pieces, they use some smooth, small, or flat pieces which makes it more likable compared to other police cars I have seen. Here is the building in progress.

3198965583_17995a25f9.jpg

As you can see a pre-made bottom is used as like most newer sets.

3199812172_1691bc03be.jpg

3198965665_92af7a3459.jpg

3198965721_5bf8c46e8e.jpg

3199812336_f6beebd363.jpg

Finished Product

3198965819_3b7f58c35a.jpg

And that's it. Its just that simple, and it looks great! The build of the vehicle gives it it's masterful look. The smoothness and realism of the front grill and the back (pictured below) give it a very nice look, and the use of the rims is great. I love how the front of the car is a little long. Its kinda cool! It is nice that they give the lights on top some actual shape rather than just sticking two transparent pieces on top. That looks really nice. I don't like how the stickers were used, as you can see that mine are peeling...

Front:

3201847112_990a9fddae.jpg

Back:

3201003797_808bf257f4.jpg

I like how the front and back use the triangular pieces for the lights instead of the normal circular pieces that were mainly used at the time.

Here are some more pictures of the finished product:

A nice side view to see the cool big wheels, and the long front is great! I dont get what the antenna things are supposed to be...maybe for a radio or something, and as I said before, I don't like the use of the stickers, because they peel, and it looks weird.

3198965853_5ef98b7c32.jpg

And a nice picture with the car, the minifigure and his radar gun. The radar gun is pretty basic, and If you were to look at a picture of a real radar gun, it would look almost nothing like this lego radar gun. A real radar gun actually looks like a gun, unlike this lego radar gun.

3201006873_fe3267032f.jpg

Summary

Presentation: 10/10 (One of the nicest police cars that I have seen)

Pieces: 10/10 (I love the use of the small pieces)

Minifigs: 6.5/10 (Its just another basic gunless city policeman)

Playability: 9/10 (Many scenarios can be made with the radar gun and this fantastic car)

Price: 8/10 (Just a little steep)

Overall Rating: 87%

A very nice looking car. The small and flat pieces give it its superb shape, and the elongated front of the hood makes it look like a car I would get any day! The radar gun does look a little strange, and unlike a real radar gun, but I will never use it anyway, so it doesn't even matter. After the release of this product they released similar products into such sets as the headquarters, which I love just the same. The minifigure's fantastically printed shirt gives him a very modern and cool feel. The fact that of the police minifigures never have guns is just a fact we just get used to.... Well enough talk, lets finish this third review, and get out of this reviewers academy, and into the world!

Matanui911 signing off till next time.

Brickshelf, Peeron, Lego S@H

Excellent review. I actually got this set for Christmas, but mine's a bit different; the stickers are blue (not black), and both English and German stickers were included! (And the set was bought from a Toys R Us, I believe!)

Thanks for the review! This was one of my first sets upon returning from my dark ages and just yesterday I found two of these unopened under a shelf in my closet that I forgot I had purchased. Great review of a solid set.

Thanks for the great review, I noticed there was no review of this set and was considering making a review myself - No need to now. Well taken pics by the way.

My only gripe with this set and other cars Lego has brought out recently is the wheels. What is the deal with the huge wheels? They are same size as the wheels used for trucks. With so much choice available with wheels these days why do they insist on having such large wheels? What about the wheels used in the racer sets, they're a great alternative. I know these are not meant to be spot on realistic, but gee when was the last time you saw a car with truck-sized wheels plotting along? I just dont get it :sceptic:

Edited by Monki

Yeah, I like this set otherwise, but those wheels are too big for it. They make it look more like a low riding jeep.

Excellent review. I actually got this set for Christmas, but mine's a bit different; the stickers are blue (not black), and both English and German stickers were included! (And the set was bought from a Toys R Us, I believe!)

The set does come with blue stickers, but I happend to pass them by when making the review :blush: .

There were two versions of the car, and most of the smaller police sets. One version came with black stickers in English and green stickers in German. Later versions came with blue stickers in English and German

Edited by Yeow

This vehicle was the one that pulled me from my dark ages along with the 7902 Doctor's Car and the 7739 Coast Guard Patrol Boat & Tower.

It is a nice little car but to tell you the truth i prefer the police car from the 7744 Police HQ and that is because:

1) The studless front part is nicer and the car looks more aerodynamic.

2) The driver's cabin is placed one stud closer to the front part resulting in being more "well balanced" for the eye.

3) The police lights on the top of this car look kinda odd IMO.

Still, it is the first set i had built after dark ages and i consider it an all-time favorite set. :cry_happy:

The review was excellent matanui911! Very detailed and great photos! :thumbup:

P.S

The wheels :hmpf_bad:.We had the issue of the size (scale) of the cars and now that is almost fixed, the majority of the vehicles use the same wheels. :wacko:

There were two versions of the car, and most of the smaller police sets. One version came with black stickers in English and green stickers in German. Later versions came with blue stickers in English and German

Yoa are right, another look confirms that they are green...

This vehicle was the one that pulled me from my dark ages along with the 7902 Doctor's Car and the 7739 Coast Guard Patrol Boat & Tower.

It is a nice little car but to tell you the truth i prefer the police car from the 7744 Police HQ and that is because:

1) The studless front part is nicer and the car looks more aerodynamic.

I personally like this one better. The front is a little longer which I like, and I like when lego uses studded peices instead of smooth ones because it look more like lego, but that is my personal opinion....

i have all of the first year lego city sets exempt for 6243, 7344 and those promos, but the promos where never available in Holland i believe