Sign in to follow this  
just2good

Yugioh Trading Card Game

Anyone here play the Yugioh Trading Card Game? I get back into it every two years. I've been playing since 2002, a little after the game started. I play competitively, but on Dueling Network as there isn't a good tournament location near me. I've been playing Agents as my main deck since 2011... My build is extremely good and unique, and I'm in the top 2,000 or so for matches on Dueling Network. I'm really stoked for Judgement of the Light, which the sneak peek is on Saturday.

Do any of y'all play the game? What decks do you run?

I started when the show first aired, but I stopped when the monster types/effects and the game rules got ridiculous, which was around the end of the original show (the one with Yugi and his crew going to Egypt and shiaaaaat)

I'm kind of semi-playing right now. Since every. single. new. set. has stupidly expensive cards. Though I might play Vampires if they're not too expensive :sceptic:

I'm kind of semi-playing right now. Since every. single. new. set. has stupidly expensive cards. Though I might play Vampires if they're not too expensive :sceptic:

Indeed, I think Judgement of the Light and Tachyon have quite a few overhyped expensive cards which aren't even that good.

Indeed, I think Judgement of the Light and Tachyon have quite a few overhyped expensive cards which aren't even that good.

Yup. I now changed to playing old decks (current format still) and some budget decks. And I still win. :tongue:

Nope. I played Magic the Gathering for years. However the fact that you can't really advance that much without spending too much money kind of killed it for me. I was good but always held back by my very limited collection which seemed to be 1/100th the size of everyone elses.

I'd expect YoGiOh to be no different :P.

Nope. I played Magic the Gathering for years. However the fact that you can't really advance that much without spending too much money kind of killed it for me. I was good but always held back by my very limited collection which seemed to be 1/100th the size of everyone elses.

I'd expect YoGiOh to be no different :P.

Well in MTG, there's always budget decks like http://www.mtgvault.com/memnite/decks/standard-20-izzet-4-turn-win/ this pretty good Izzet deck and there're always cheaper alternatives to good cards just for a higher casting cost or drawback.

Well in MTG, there's always budget decks like http://www.mtgvault....zet-4-turn-win/ this pretty good Izzet deck and there're always cheaper alternatives to good cards just for a higher casting cost or drawback.

Which is why it's terrible. Higher casting cost or drawback? Can't stay competitive if I'm limited to that and "pay to win" gameplay.

My games almost every time simply went down to who spent more money on MTG. MTG in the end is a game about insane card combos and if you don't own them you won't win.

I had my own combos. I was feared. But my collection was so limited the number of combos I could pull off was not high. Eventually people adapted to my limited strategies. I, being a poor college student at the time, couldn't afford more cards so couldn't really do much else. A few different variations of similar things but eventually people know what to expect. I simply didn't own enough cards to keep on surprising people.

Then there's the whole issue that they keep making newer cards better and better (not counting the really early cards). I just couldn't keep up. I now prefer strategy games where the playing field is even.

Edited by BrickG

Which is why it's terrible. Higher casting cost or drawback? Can't stay competitive if I'm limited to that and "pay to win" gameplay.

My games almost every time simply went down to who spent more money on MTG. MTG in the end is a game about insane card combos and if you don't own them you won't win.

I had my own combos. I was feared. But my collection was so limited the number of combos I could pull off was not high. Eventually people adapted to my limited strategies. I, being a poor college student at the time, couldn't afford more cards so couldn't really do much else. A few different variations of similar things but eventually people know what to expect. I simply didn't own enough cards to keep on surprising people.

Then there's the whole issue that they keep making newer cards better and better (not counting the really early cards). I just couldn't keep up. I now prefer strategy games where the playing field is even.

Well I guess, but since Jace, the Mind Sculptor in Worldwake there haven't been that many "expensive" cards. I completely understand where you're from, I play with a tight budget, but I play Allies so I guess that's different.

Thoughts on the new September 2013 banlist?

I personally don't like how Big Eye is still around. :laugh: But, at least Dragon Rulers are dead and Spellbooks are a little worse... :sceptic:

There is the possibility of the TCG and OCG having separate banlists but there's also news of banlists every 3 months now.. I guess now Hero Beat/Bubble Beat, Glads and Goats will see some resurgence. Now just put Royal Tribute to 3 and I'm happy. :tongue:

Hey, I just got Big Shield Gardna. From a WotT.

From where?

The new TCG-exclusive banlist is beyond stupid in many levels. Weird, as it ends on December 31st, 2013. I do like Earth at three, because y'know, I'm an Agents guy. :grin:

But, they hit so many archetypes for no good reason except to bring some hype. And, Monster Reborn and Solemn Judgement banned? Really? And Shock Master, Card Destruction, and Offering wasn't necessary either. :sceptic:

The new TCG-exclusive banlist is beyond stupid in many levels. Weird, as it ends on December 31st, 2013. I do like Earth at three, because y'know, I'm an Agents guy. :grin:

But, they hit so many archetypes for no good reason except to bring some hype. And, Monster Reborn and Solemn Judgement banned? Really? And Shock Master, Card Destruction, and Offering wasn't necessary either. :sceptic:

I LOVE the new ban list! No more crazy Spellbook shenanigans-T.G. Agents are back, Blackwings are back, no more stupid mass removal and broke cards. :grin:

Only Problem: Royal Tribute to one :sad:

Bumped!

I got back into it a year and a half ago when my little sister and I would play it in the winter, and lately a friend of mine has gotten back into it hard core. I like to think my decks are pretty good considering I obstinately refuse to buy into the new cards (xyz, and pendulums which even my friend refuses to use), there BS. So all the cards I have are not any newer then GX, which makes it tough to find packs but I have found Force of the breaker/cyber dark impact in stores :laugh: My main deck whom I call Ol Reliable is built around around a bunch of Destiny heroes, my back up elemental heros and dark world monsters etc. Just to give you an idea of what your dealing with

I don't play or collect anymore but back in high school my friends and I had a large resurgence where we pulled out our old cards and held tournaments with the old school rules. I still have my two decks too. I love playing the game, at least the original one, but theres not many people I know who play it that way.

I still remember the day I got Blue Eyes White Dragon. I mostly play an insect themed deck, although I had to supplement that with some other types of monsters like Blue Eyes as I didn't have enough for a full deck and still remain competitive.