Sign in to follow this  
sam89

Poll for a $99 UCS set

Legofan.org have posted a poll to vote for what you would like the a new UCS set to be. You have to register to vote. The choices are an AT-ST, an B-wing, Anakin's Episode III Jedi Starfighter, Obi-wan's Episode II Jedi Starfighter (although they wrote Anakin's), Darth Vader's TIE and Boba Fett's Slave 1.

I voted for the AT-ST.

Boba Fett's Slave 1.

All the way. I said I was born in 1987 :P

me too heeheheheeheh. i voted slave 1 but it didnt work

I also voted AT-ST (though when I tried to submit my vote it kept spitting back server errors at me.... so I'll try again later).

Of all the ships on the list, the AT-ST is, in my opinion, the most iconic Star Wars vehicle. It gets the most screen time, and is a fantastic and appealing design. Additionally, up till now it has only had one Lego incarnation (not counting the mini). And that version was pretty unsatisfactory even back when it was released. It has so far been oddly neglected in the recent flurry of re-designs. So a UCS version would be great! Though I would also love a more accurate System version.

Second choice would be Slave 1. It's still a great ship and a fan favorite, but by the end of this year we'll already have THREE versions it (not counting two mini versions). Seems like enough to me.

I tried to vote for a jedi starfighter :-D but the errors came on me :( i've always wanted a ucs b-wing too ohh why did you all vote for the at-st :'( *devil*

I definately go for an AT-ST UCS - there's enough of those slave 1s around.

KimT

I would vote for Vaders Tie, lookes good with the rest of the UCS.

morten_sonne

Noooooooooooooooooo! I just discovered what xwingyoda has done to me and Morten. Very funny nicknames.... I'll get You for this Yoda.... Is it because You lost the Firefight at LEGOland?? |:|

KimT

i have always wanted to know why lego.com put things like cloud city, tie collection and the falcon under ultimate collector series stuff when they are not even ultimate collector series sets so what is you're definition of a ultimate collector series set cos this is mine

:an ultimate collector series set is a set that is too big for mini figs they can have r2 units but not people minifigs must be over 30cm ( but the naboo starfighter is an exception ).

so wadda ya think?

I don't really get your question because cloud city, tie collection and the falcon weren't UCS !! CC and TC were just exclusives (SAH and special stores).

But to answer what is a UCS set (which has already been discussed in other threads), its sets more than 300

Actually, Yoda, if you go to lego.com, Cloud City and the Millenium Falcon ARE listed under the "Ultimate Collectors Series" link, along with other System-Scale sets like the Sandcrawler and (even more puzzlingly) the Tie Collection.

I'm not saying they ARE really UCS sets, but they are listed there on the website.

I would imagine it has something to do with the demographic at which the sets are targeted: they probably figure that the more expensive sets, be they System or true UCS, would appeal more to "collectors" (versus the average nine-year-old who just wants something to play around with and probably ultimately lose).

As for the specific definition of a UCS set.... well, I wouldn't say it's only sets that are "too big for minifigs," because obviously the Death Star and Star Destroyer are far LESS than minifig scale. But they are clearly still collectors' sets. I would equate it with detail and cost. UCS are highly detailed, generally fairly expensive sets that are meant more for display than playability. Hence the built-in display stands.

I would also agree with Yoda that the Naboo "UCS" set is kind of the exception... they obviously wanted to do it on the cheap, so they cranked out a tiny, cheap set with a display stand and no minifigs and called it UCS. What's kind of funny/sad is that the UCS Naboo fighter, if designed to fit a minifig, would have been a REALLY GOOD System set. Instead, we had a substandard System version of the ship and a substandard UCS version of it. Boooo! :-D

Beagle, I agree that they were listed on TLC's SAH as UCS, but you know how good is TLC is with communication !!!

UCS never appeared on the boxes though !!! The only difference is the set number with one more digit ;)

Beagle, I agree that they were listed on TLC's SAH as UCS, but you know how good is TLC is with communication !!!

Totally, Yoda, you are absolutely right! I know, they're not true UCS sets. My impression was that legoman was curious why they were being sold under that link on S@H, that's all. Sorry for the miscommunication.

:)

I think if pressed TLC would admit they're not UCS sets, too. They just like to put 'em NEXT to the UCS sets 'cause they know that credit-card-totin' AFOLS like us are likely to buy them. And, sadly, it works... at least on me. :$

dear Beagle :$ what do you mean by " a 5 digit number " i can think of at least 3 4 digit numberd sets tie interseptor, x-wing and yoda but great definition over all now lets see a few more. |-D

the company moves in mysterious ways... they probably started the ucs as a star wars theme for older people, thinking these people would never buy the minifig sets. then at some point they may have said "let's put the expensive sets in the series as well, but to save us some money, let's just use the standard boxes, without an extra "UCS"-title on it... Or perhaps they just wanted to indicate these sets are a lot more expensive, even tho still a part of the minifig world...At some point, they also added yoda and darth maul to the list. i guess, by then, they just used the ucs series for sets they, for some reason, think do not fit into the traditional line.

then they may have gone back to their original idea with the destroyer and the y-wing.

in any case, i don't think there's one big plan or a correct definition for the ucs. i guess they're just using it when they see fit...

on a slightly related note, i saw the death star 2 this weekend fully assembled in my local lego store in kingston. there is no argument from me that is a impresive set, and is bloddy huge! but if like me you only display your sets then this just seems to lack the real WOW factor. i will get it but i am in no hurry and if i could get it cheap i will.

In my opinion, UCSs are the sets that are expensive (which would cost u a lot of $$ to own it) and huge (which would require a lot of space to display it).

Agree?