Sign in to follow this  
Captain Zuloo

[old] Brickfilm Technique

indexed.gif

Hello and welcome to the second Eurobricks brickfilming tutorial. This one isn't a tutorial on how to make a brickfilms as much as a tecnique to use in your films. In order to make this work you will need to know how to make animation. Here is a free tutorial about how to do just that. Anyway, without further ado, I present to you:

Walking at 15fps

Ok, so you know how to animate, but now you want to learn what to animate. In the general brickfilm there will be some walking so this is a good method to memorise. And remember, quality walking is something that could be the difference between an average film and one that sticks in your head.

And to demonstrate - Eurobricks's own fantastic SlyOwl!

Step 1.

walking15-2.jpg

Step 2.

walking15-3.jpg

Step 3.

walking15-4.jpg

Step 4.

walking15-5.jpg

Step 5.

walking15-6.jpg

Step 6.

walking15-7.jpg

Step 7.

walking15-8.jpg

Step 8.

walking15-9.jpg

To make your subject walk further, just repeat these steps until the subject gets where they are going. There can be multiple subjects in one shot, but keep on paper what step you are on for each subject or you will get confused.

As I was taking the screenshots I prepared a little demo animation for you. I made it by following my example exactly and doing the whole thing a second time.

Link

Note: I only had 1 light to work with here so that is the reason for the jumpy light. If you follow this correctly you shouldn't have this issue.

Now you know how to make a minifig walk, see this Video Conversion tutorial on how to convert video.

Edited by Captain Zuloo
Indexed

I watched the video ( and commented it :P ) but I think he walk a little too fast, but anyway that's great, I tried to make a technicfig walks too :

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ZkZdh-QbA

but that's quite bad^^

Well if you try walking at that speed, sure it is too fast. But a LEGO figure walking at that speed is different. They have to cover the same ground in the same time as they are smaller. Besides, I think it's kind of amusing to see a minifigs legs pumping it! :classic:

Did you animate this from my tutorial? And regardless of that, man you need to secure that set! I can't stress how important it is to have a still baseplate! It often makes the difference between a film people will spend the time watching, and a film people will see the quality of and hit the "back" button. But I give you credit for actually making a film and not sitting on this forum all day! :tongue:

Nice Tutorial and it's already bearing fruit. Guss's walk and fall made me spit out my drink....ha.

You have the motion very well, but there's always been a few things that bothered me about mini-fig stop motion.

When they walk they get a pigeon bob thing going as they don't continuously move forward they only move on some

frames to meet the stud. And when they run, they actually get closer to the ground when their legs spred, but in

real life when the legs are split the character should go up a little.

But that's what gives brick films a destinctive look, it's not bad, it's destinctive.

Anyway good Tut captain, the only suggestion I would make is always tape down your base plates so the it doesn't move

during the filming process.

Now to make them dance.........and sing!

Did you animate this from my tutorial?

no I did it a month ago, or maybe more , don't remember^^ and I noticed that I have to make something to avoid the plate of moving while I was taking pics, but I never tried again to makes vids ( I only made the : 4995 building in stop motion , here : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=2GpcYfXoUYY , and I made it before^^ )

no I did it a month ago, or maybe more , don't remember^^ and I noticed that I have to make something to avoid the plate of moving while I was taking pics, but I never tried again to makes vids ( I only made the : 4995 building in stop motion , here : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=2GpcYfXoUYY , and I made it before^^ )

Well in that case Guss, I challenge you to make a brickfilm using SMA at a smooth 15fps. It doesn't have to be a great plot, but try anyway!

ok ! *phone to his sister and her husband , both professional animator for big companies* sister? please make a smooth 15 fps movie with lego, thanks!

ahah! you'll see what I'll do! I'll do it myself! be prepared :tongue:

seriously , I'll try to manage something, but It'll take times, I'm not a good animator ( as you noticed ^^ ), I don't really know the good animations technique (so I think I'll use your tutorial :P ), It 'll surely be way less smoother than yours! ( you saw my walking technic guy ^^ ) , anyway.. I'll try, but as I have things to do, don't expect it before the end of the month ^^

Guss's walk and fall made me spit out my drink....ha.

At least I made you laugh :P

edit wait.. something smooth at 15 fps.. it's quite impossible ^^

Edited by Guss

edit wait.. something smooth at 15 fps.. it's quite impossible ^^

Oh is it? I think you'll find that ALL of Oceans on End #1 is shot at 15fps. And I think that is smooth (minus the boat leaving). Don't you?

Oh is it? I think you'll find that ALL of Oceans on End #1 is shot at 15fps. And I think that is smooth (minus the boat leaving). Don't you?

IMHO they are well made and looking smooth too (in regard to the possibilities that is)

At least I made you laugh :P

You got me wrong, I thought it was great AND it made me laugh. You should film some more.

Yup this has also been added to the index.

I never knew that it would take so much work to do simple stop-motion films.

It must take forever to make a few seconds worth of film...

yes that is^^I should have said "really hard" instead of "quite impossible"^^ you did a great job with this episode, I really liked it, And I really think you don't need more FPS ( it'll be really really too hard and long to do... )

I never knew that it would take so much work to do simple stop-motion films.

that's not! I think that's the hardest and the longest way of filming things ! I don't know how many time Cpt Zuloo spent on his Ocean On Ends episode, but that's really a incredible work, and he plans to makes more episode... which is something impressive, If I tried to do this, I think I already gave up!

You got me wrong, I thought it was great AND it made me laugh. You should film some more.

oh thanks^^ It was just a test, I don't plan to film more, I don't really have the time too, maybe sometimes I'll do something, but it'll be rare^^

When are you planning to release your next movie, Captain Zuloo? Will it be a sequel to the previous? I am looking forward to it since most Lego movies on Youtube are crap, sure there are some good ones but....

Guss, I am looking forward to yours as well! (or your sisters... :laugh: )

When are you planning to release your next movie, Captain Zuloo? Will it be a sequel to the previous? I am looking forward to it since most Lego movies on Youtube are crap, sure there are some good ones but....

A agree. That's why I put so much effort into mine. I really have no idea when I'll release Oceans on End 2. I have done the first few scenes, but I have been really busy.

So it could be the end of next monthe, or it could be after Christmas. I really have no idea.

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been wondering what the sequence goes like. You will definitely be seeing films from me, as soon as I get out of my Apocalypse phase. What will we learn next?

What will we learn next?

Well I think it is someone else's turn and I know many people on this forum are capable and have the knowledge to write a brickfilming tutorial :angry:

But I'm trying to write in chronological order. So probably simple editing.