So I have always wanted to get to make pneumatic train which takes power off the track. Unless I break a train motor, I can't really use 9v so I thought I would give 12v a go.

The 12v train stuff featured a power pickup block which made this really easy.(I don't really know much about Lego trains)

I am not sure how long a 9v motor will run on 12v however I can easily drop back to using a 9v transformer.

Bricks n Bolts made a nice post of how to use the 12V track with PF - which looks to be useful for your system

Thats a brilliant find mate, thanks!

Edited by Burf2000

Nice one :) I built exactly this last fall but it would only run for a meter or so before the synchronisation between the pistons and the pneumatic switches broke :(

Nice one :) I built exactly this last fall but it would only run for a meter or so before the synchronisation between the pistons and the pneumatic switches broke :(

The train has ran for a few hours fine off a PF battery. I am hoping this will run on and off for 3 days as I am taking it to a little train show.

@ Burf2000: On Philo's "LEGO 9V Technic Motors compared characteristics" webpage, you can see how 12V increases the performance of the 9V motors. However, Philo added this disclaimer: "Caution ! Though I tested motors with a 12V supply, I can't guarantee that they bear the extra load for extended time period. Use that at your own risks !" Philo (Philippe Hurbain) also did a "LEGO Train Motors comparison" too. :thumbup:

motors.jpgmotors3.jpg

@ Burf2000: On Philo's "LEGO 9V Technic Motors compared characteristics" webpage, you can see how 12V increases the performance of the 9V motors. However, Philo added this disclaimer: "Caution ! Though I tested motors with a 12V supply, I can't guarantee that they bear the extra load for extended time period. Use that at your own risks !" Philo (Philippe Hurbain) also did a "LEGO Train Motors comparison" too. :thumbup:

motors.jpgmotors3.jpg

Yeah I always check out his site and your see that I usually use the Lego RC motor for pneumatic pumping however as his chart shows the RC does not run at 12v, I changed the motor I used. Fantastic site!