Sign in to follow this  
VBBN

Battle for the Gold Mask Semi-finalists and Winner

gallery_1621_272_152563.jpg

Back in October, Eurobricks teamed up with BZPower, Bionifigs, RusBionicle, Pockyland, as well as Lego themselves and their very own ReBrick to create the largest Bionicle competition that has ever been launched. Here on Eurobricks, the final count revealed 294 total entries from MOCists around the globe, and the contest in total brought in 1864 unique entries. Today we are proud to announce the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Our 1st place winner will go head-to-head with the respective winners from the other 5 sites, to determine who will win the most coveted prize of all: A 14 karat gold Skull Spider mask.

The winner of the golden mask is...

gallery_1621_272_341328.png

Akutahn by Roa McToa, BZPower

Head over to ReBrick for the full announcement!

Eurobricks-1st Place: Terror Bite by IGU

gallery_1621_273_47898.jpg

The jury said, “This is an awesome cartoonish version of a villain.” They loved the

creativity of the dinosaur head with the result of the build and thought it was just

generally a very creative use of pieces – old Bionicle, newer Chima, Hero Factory as

well as the dinosaur. “It’s just a big crazy mix of a monster.”

Eurobricks-2nd Place: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian by TheOneVeyronian

gallery_1621_273_126266.jpg

Eurobricks-3rd Place: Claughn by SEMI

gallery_1621_273_36197.jpg

Here is the full list of winners from all six sites!

Rebrick:

BZPower:

• Akutahn by Roa McToa
  • Helsephyr by Vampire Bohrok
  • Pending confirmation from builder.

Eurobricks:

Rusbionicle:

Pockyland

Bionifigs:

Be sure to congratulate the winners, and lend your thoughts on who you think will win the battle for the Gold Mask!

Wow, those were some great entries, and I'm quite surprised I won 2nd place here! Congratulations to the other winners, it was one tough competition, and some of the winners on the other sites were simply jaw-dropping :thumbup:

p.s. I don't mean to be picky, but is it possible that you could change out the photo of my creation used in the post out for another one of the model from my Flickr, maybe this one instead? The other two winners get nice front-on views and mine gets an ugly side-on view especially when the side-on view shown wasn't the showcased picture in my entry post for that model... just saying. Thanks! :classic:

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

Congratulations! :thumbup:

That clown is imprinted on my mind now!! It's terrifying! :laugh: I can see why these came top- they all have really cleverly used parts and look great. Well done :thumbup:

I had a feeling that terror bite might be in the final run, congrats to all the winners!

Congrats to all the winners! Best of luck to you all, some killer (no pun intended...) entries here.

Congrats to the winners, Terror Bite was one of my favorite MOCs, so it's nice to see it among the finalists. Good luck to IGU !

The winner of the golden mask is...

gallery_1621_272_341328.png

Akutahn by Roa McToa, BZPower

Head over to ReBrick for the full announcement!

I like their decision and on the other hand don't.

Not because of gender, but because of her place in the community.

I know this guy has taken tons of work, but less is more. It really bugs me that the creation includes special pieces certainly not available for everyone (silver Pohatu boomerangs at least) and overall such a mass not even many of top MOCers woul do that because of the amount of pieces used. While it's impressive, and beats the others easily.

Certainly would if it wasn't for the fact that one submission managed it better and in smaller size: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/944380BFTGM01Peterbionicle.jpg While it is still black and red (edgy) it was much better looking overall and certainly unique compared to this giant, still very impressive makuta. If she puts out a video out of the MOC I might just change my mind, I'm pretty sure Akutahn has some impressive functions.

The winning MOC is technically very well build, but in other hand it's a bit dull that so... stereotypical villain won the contest. I mean, our first place winner TerrorBite was both awesome build AND original character. But well, I naturally respect judges' opinions, and I am very glad how this contest vastly increased the amount action figure MOC on this forum and the on the community overall.

Although I prefer terror bite, this is definitely very impressive, Worthy of a gold mask I think.

Like many others have said, it's always the most complex and large MOCs that win these sorts of competitions. I just wish everybody, no matter how bad you suck at building things; it just has to look good, had an equal chance.

The winning MOC just looks like a revamp of Teridax. Though, it is still cool-looking.

Edited by MonkeyChud

Like many other have said, it's always the most complex and large MOCs that win these sorts of competitions. I just wish everybody, no matter how bad you suck at building things; it just has to look good, had an equal chance.

The winning MOC just looks like a revamp of Teridax. Though, it is still cool-looking.

More or less what I mentioned that I hoped wouldn't happen. It's hard to find the balance, I guess; the people most interested in the contest would be the people from the old generation, not necessarily newbies, and at some point you have to draw the line between enthusiasm and skill. That said, I do wish something like Terror Bite, with a bit more personality, had won.

Not that it's a bad MoC by any standards; Roa has always been an incredible MoCist, and is hardly undeserving of the win. I hope she enjoys the new mask, whatever she plans on doing with it.

More or less what I mentioned that I hoped wouldn't happen. It's hard to find the balance, I guess; the people most interested in the contest would be the people from the old generation, not necessarily newbies, and at some point you have to draw the line between enthusiasm and skill. That said, I do wish something like Terror Bite, with a bit more personality, had won.

This is an important point to consider when hosting contests such as these; what do you prioritize when judging between concept and execution?

Extremely interesting concepts might be badly executed or not fully realized for lack of parts, and on the flipside, such as in the case of the winner, a generic (in comparison with some more far-out entries) concept can be executed beautifully.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist

I personal think the win is thoroughly deserved. The contest was to create a villain for Bionicle. not a random titan, not a clown, something that could be in the Bionicle universe, This entry was a Makuta, to do with Okoto no less, and was well executed (and this is coming from someone who hates the overly jumbled huge mocs) even I will admit this moc was well done.

Some of the other mocs in this contest, while incredibly impressive in terms of engineering, looked aesthetically terrible IMO. too many, pieces (particularly ccbs ones) jumbled together, look terrible, and the winner (mostly at least) avoided that.

Hopefully any future contests will have either a size or piece count restriction, to avoid the contest suddenly escalating into huge mocs no toa sized creation could hope to compete with.

Edited by Timeline15

I honesty doubt that was a factor. the new pieces aren't inherently better or easier to moc with than the old pieces, so I don't see how they can give an advantage.

Well, congratulations to the overall winner, but like many people it seems, they've gone for the "biggest is best" frame of mind which kinda overshadows all those clever and excellent smaller builds. I like a big build and I do get impressed by them, and it's a very well done big build, but I do feel that choosing big builds counts those with a much smaller budget out. I do have enough to build big, but it'd be an absolute mess of colours, so that's why I didn't build big.

My other criticism would be the lack of LDD builds represented in the 36 or so people that won. Out of all my entries, Mechan'Rex was kind of the last one I expected to get picked especially when many of my other entries, many of them LDD builds, were far more popular, more aesthetically pleasing and interesting (yes, I'm very much a self-critical type). But I'm not complaining anyhow! :classic:

But anyway, I'm glad for the winner, and being female myself, I suppose it's nice to see a female builder win overall. Though I will admit that the statement "girls can build Bionicle too" kinda threw me a bit, girls have always been able to build Bionicle of course :wink:

I agree what you other guys are saying. The winner is just a huge mess of different kinds of pieces, vaguely resembling a generic Demonic shape. I'm not saying that it's easy to make something like that, but I personally think that smaller models really show the creative sides of people. Like the clown that ended up third here on Eurobricks, that's loads of NPU.

And I also agree that it's very unfair to use unreleased pieces, that's an unfair advantage. Why just not go all the way and let contestants modify pieces however they like?

Hopefully any future contests will have either a size or piece count restriction, to avoid the contest suddenly escalating into huge mocs no toa sized creation could hope to compete with.

How fair this type of rule is would depend on who the contest is aimed at. If aimed mostly at AFOLs I'd think it overly restrictive, but if the contest was made to appeal to a more general audience interested BIONICLE or CCBS, I'd think it might be appropriate, alongside a prototype parts restriction.

If implemented well, this type of restriction would really open up these kinds of contests to those with less developed LEGO collections. Working within the restrictions of a certain height or length limit would encourage implementing creative concepts with minimalist building techniques, instead of creating extravagantly-executed builds that look generic.

Though not appropriate for all, or even most, contests, such rules might be worth considering in certain situations.

Edited by The Kumquat Alchemist