Put a tiger in your tank!* - Part 2

Few days ago I presented the Volkswagen T1 Esso Service that was the first part of my latest MOC.

Today I'm happy and proud to show you the second part: a classic Esso gas Station designed in 1953 by Dutch modernist architect Willem Marinus Dudok.

My LEGO Dudok Esso gas station has the same features of the real one: an elegant design, a v-shaped roof on both sides, two gas pumps on a dark grey platform, different advertising signs and other stuff.

The shop is on the front of the station; a detailed service garage is located at the back.

26855105793_880e70a123_z.jpg

There are a lot of details both outside and inside the building, let's take a look.

In the shop you can find a big desk with a vintage phone, a cash register and a architect lamp.

A big clock is positioned on the wall close to the shelves where you can see the oil cans and an old radio.

Two neon lights and a fan are hung on the ceiling support.

27022795842_af0cbc56bf_z.jpg

The garage at the back features a lot of utensils, advertising signs and other stuff.

My VW Type 2 T1 decked up in Esso livery fits perfectly in this scene.

26540127653_b59bcbb5e0_z.jpg

Take a look at the Michelin Man (Bibendum)...I love it!

27144397415_a2de640da7_z.jpg

The design of Dudok was simple and brilliant simultaneously. According to the mission he received from ESSO Netherlands, the station had to be functional and inexpensive to produce.

It was just after World War II and raw materials were scarce.

At the same time the road network grew and pumping stations had to be placed anywhere.

112 Dudok Esso stations were placed along the Dutch highways. Below an overview.

26843056310_6a0d3bd8af_z.jpg

Below you can see the real Esso station photographed at the National Automobile Museum Collection Louwman (The Netherlands) where was placed in 2004.

26308400385_b52638547b_z.jpg

I built this brand new MOC last winter and I’m particularly fond of it.

More pics and info on my flickr photostream.

*Put a tiger in your tank! was the Esso slogan during the sixties and seventies.

All the best and happy building!

Andrea - Norton74

It looks absolutely beautiful :wub:

But one thing, it may include technic parts, but I don't feel like this belongs in the technic forums...

Thanks LvdH :classic:

About the right place for this MOC (and also for the other scale models) is really a good point.

In fact I've always posted my mocs in this forum because it's for Technic, Mindstorms & MODEL TEAM, and we consider the scale models as Model Team MOCs.

There are probably many more Technic fans than Model Team in this Forum...The matter is open...

A beauty like this deserves to be shown everywhere. Really well done, Andrea, and cheers from a long-time guest in your homeland.

Thanks LvdH :classic:

About the right place for this MOC (and also for the other scale models) is really a good point.

In fact I've always posted my mocs in this forum because it's for Technic, Mindstorms & MODEL TEAM, and we consider the scale models as Model Team MOCs.

There are probably many more Technic fans than Model Team in this Forum...The matter is open...

Your workshops are so beautyfull, spot on and excelent detailed Andrea :thumbup::wub::thumbup: .

I think that your models consider as Model Team and have the same problem like you.

Maybe it's a idea for the moderators that we as scaled model builders get our own forum :sweet::thumbup:

Stunning........when is Lego going to ask you to produce there next new model team kit ! Well done . Thanks for posting this ...my whole family just loves it.

Beautiful work. So much detail. All those stickers (decals?) really enhance the build. :thumbup:

Stunning........when is Lego going to ask you to produce there next new model team kit ! Well done . Thanks for posting this ...my whole family just loves it.

I don't think LEGO will bring back Model Team. I believe Model Team has morphed into Creator Expert.

Love the subject you chose for this moc. Fantastic execution. And I would be very happy if moc like these continue to be posted in this section of the forum.

Wow! Very impressed. Please continue posting these kind of creations in this Forum.

Amazing! You have achieved a really impressive roof angle here which really compliments the rest of the build.

Wonderful and impressive, including the detailed interior!

I too created an 60ies ARAL gas station in minifig scale some months ago.

Greetings ThomaS

Edited by tsi

Incredibly cool) All that small scale stuff in the shop and garage looks so familliar. I like that old brown radio, had similar in my home some time ago.

Thanks Victor for your kind words, glad you like the classic radio... :sweet:

Love the electric installation.

Glad you like it... :wink:

Wow!!!!!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

A beauty like this deserves to be shown everywhere. Really well done, Andrea, and cheers from a long-time guest in your homeland.

Thanks for your kind words, very appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Your workshops are so beautyfull, spot on and excelent detailed Andrea :thumbup::wub::thumbup: .

I think that your models consider as Model Team and have the same problem like you.

Maybe it's a idea for the moderators that we as scaled model builders get our own forum :sweet::thumbup:

Thanks Edwin, glad you like my workshops :sweet:

Yes, our models have the same problem, indeed this morning my Esso Gas Station has been moved in this Forum. Thanks to the moderator for this change :thumbup:

Marvelous. Could this be frontpaged please?

Many many thanks for your request! It has been heard. What a great surprise this morning looking at my MOC on frontpage!!! Thanks Eurobricks for this chance!

Oh I am sorry, I forgot about that! I never had a Model Team set and the only one I know of is the black cat, which seems more technic-ish to me. :classic:

It's still beautiful though :wub: if only I was able to build something like that..

No worries mate :wink: and thanks for your words :sweet:

Glad your whole family loves my build :classic:

Beautiful work. So much detail. All those stickers (decals?) really enhance the build. :thumbup:

I don't think LEGO will bring back Model Team. I believe Model Team has morphed into Creator Expert.

Thanks dr Spock, stickers work good in this MOC :wink:

Love the subject you chose for this moc. Fantastic execution. And I would be very happy if moc like these continue to be posted in this section of the forum.

Thanks a lot for your support! if you like this kind of MOCs, take a look at my flickr photostream :wink:

Beautiful!

Thanks a lot :thumbup:

You nailed it once again on so many levels,..really makes me want to go back in time,..

Wow! Very impressed. Please continue posting these kind of creations in this Forum.

Thanks! For sure I'll continue to post my MOCs in this Forum :wink:

Amazing! You have achieved a really impressive roof angle here which really compliments the rest of the build.

The two red roofs are probably one of the most important feature in this MOCs, I'm really satisfied with the outcome. Glad you like it :thumbup:

From the outside to the inside it looks perfect.

:sweet: :sweet: :sweet:

Wow, Love This!!!!

Great Work!!!!

Greetings

Glad you like :thumbup:

Wonderful and impressive, including the detailed interior!

I too created an 60ies ARAL gas station in minifig scale some months ago.

Greetings ThomaS

Your ARAL gas station is really outstanding, thanks for notifying it, top notch :thumbup:

Very nice!

Always loved this kind of building, know the only other surviving one in Groningen (still active!) very well.

I saw before your Volkswagen T1, but together with gas station it is excellent job. I hope, that you will get some profits from Esso company :)

You nailed it once again on so many levels,..really makes me want to go back in time,..

Thanks Sylvian, gald you like :classic: This Gas Statuion is like a time capsule...

Absolutely stunning. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Very nice!

Always loved this kind of building, know the only other surviving one in Groningen (still active!) very well.

Right! There's one surviving in Groeningen, not ESSO but Gulf if I'm not mistaken...

As always AWESOME work!!! Love the history of the station as well..

Thanks, the story is great, and also the story of the Volkswagen T1.

I saw before your Volkswagen T1, but together with gas station it is excellent job. I hope, that you will get some profits from Esso company :)

ah ah ah...I hope too :tongue:

Edited by Norton74